There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Thats the thing tho. It ISN'T the "same old Alex". He just had a bad game. All QBs have bad games. Hell, Peyton Manning threw three INTs in the FIRST QUARTER last week. Alex had an 81 rating yesterday and has a 102 rating for the season.

Lets just have some perspective.

PM is on a new team with new players and took a year off because of a severe injury. So that comparison doesnt work.

Only reason he has a decent rating is because he constantly checks the ball down. He passed 204 yards on 34 attempts and that 5.82 yards per attempt which is not good, so that qb rating really doesn't mean much. the fact is he only led the offense to 10 points and thats even with Franky averaging over 6 yards per carry. The first two games was against awful defenses, just look at what 2nd year player Jake Locker did to the Lions 29/42 378 yards 2tds....numbers alex hasn't even come close to.

Do you feel the same way I do?

That our opponent only needs to play disciplined Defense and not fall for our setup play action plays and Alex will look like this MIN more often than he will look like Ponder?

I think MIN, BAL, and NYG came up with a blueprint to not let us overpower them and that's to not give wide open looks to Alex due to defensive break downs.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 24, 2012 at 3:38 PM ]
Thats the thing tho. It ISN'T the "same old Alex". He just had a bad game. All QBs have bad games. Hell, Peyton Manning threw three INTs in the FIRST QUARTER last week. Alex had an 81 rating yesterday and has a 102 rating for the season.

PM is on a new team with new players and took a year off because of a severe injury. So that comparison doesnt work.

Only reason he has a decent rating is because he constantly checks the ball down. He passed 204 yards on 34 attempts and that 5.82 yards per attempt which is not good, so that qb rating really doesn't mean much. the fact is he only led the offense to 10 points and thats even with Franky averaging over 6 yards per carry. The first two games was against awful defenses, just look at what 2nd year player Jake Locker did to the Lions 29/42 378 yards 2tds....numbers alex hasn't even come close to.

Uh...yards per attempt is a BIG part of QB rating so the Rating DOES mean something.

Your right....Alex Smith didn't throw the ball 42 times. Sigh.

Ya know what? I'm done. I'm tired of defending Alex to peeps who just want to see him fail so they can be "right".

Moving on.
AP seems to be back and healthy! he didn't put up great numbers against us. but he sure did look good and strong.
it took a number of our guys to get him down on a few plays.

just wanted to give props to him after a bad injury...
Originally posted by Joecool:

That our opponent only needs to play disciplined Defense and not fall for our setup play action plays and Alex will look like this MIN more often than he will look like Ponder?

I think MIN, BAL, and NYG came up with a blueprint to not let us overpower them and that's to not give wide open looks to Alex due to defensive break downs.

That sounds about right. I bet Sing probably told them what to do to shut him down.
This game started badly and got worse..

Not much to like about this game.. except for the Kyle Williams returns, which they managed to squander.

The 49ers were incredible flat, and got outplayed and outcoached for the 1st time in a long time.

Hopefully, this game will send the team an important message... that you have to show up, ready to play in the NFL... every game. Just because you have superior talent, doesn't mean you can not bring your A game and expect to win.

That sounds about right. I bet Sing probably told them what to do to shut him down.

Sing:
[Okay guys, just stay back because he won't throw it. Don't let the cute stuff fool you! Can you stay back? Hey! Can you stay back!? Look at me and tell me you can stay back!]

So what do you suggest we do? Start Kaep? Can you provide me with one single first down he has ever thrown? One single meaningful play he has completed a single pass on? Tolzien? Yeah we can cry all we want. Cry, cry, cry, cry, cry, cry, "I told you so", cry, cry, cry, cry, "eat crow", cry, "I told you so" cry, cry. Like always, or we can think with an open mind. But no having a period seems more fitting, it is the end of the month. Bleeding all over the place with complete filthy flow of nauseating grossness. Gross. Great fans! Great great faithful, fans!

Yes, because as we all know, Sing is a master gameplanner.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:

So what do you suggest we do? Start Kaep? Can you provide me with one single first down he has ever thrown? One single meaningful play he has completed a single pass on? Tolzien? Yeah we can cry all we want. Cry, cry, cry, cry, cry, cry, "I told you so", cry, cry, cry, cry, "eat crow", cry, "I told you so" cry, cry. Like always, or we can think with an open mind. But no having a period seems more fitting, it is the end of the month. Bleeding all over the place with complete filthy flow of nauseating grossness. Gross. Great fans! Great great faithful, fans!

Now you're just being obtuse.
All of the teams we have faced, our defense had trouble with players coming out of the backfield for passes. They were either flats or short wheel routes, we also have trouble covering TEs. The main reason for this is because we aren't getting to the QB quick enough, especially in our last game vs. the Vikes. We were getting pressure the first 2 games but when there was no pressure we were beaten by these types of plays.
[ Edited by paperplanemedia on Sep 24, 2012 at 4:42 PM ]
Originally posted by paperplanemedia:
All of the teams we have faced, our defense had trouble with players coming out of the backfield for passes. They were either flats or short wheel routes, we also have trouble covering TEs. The main reason for this is because we aren't getting to the QB quick enough, especially in our last gave vs. the Vikes. We were getting pressure the first 2 games but when there was no pressure we were beaten by these types of plays.

Man, you are good! Two more great points I've noticed a ton as well. TE's have always hurt us and the middle of the field is our weakness in coverage esp. in the RZ. But man, what is up with Bowman or Willis 35 seconds late to picking up simple flare outs to RB's out of the backfield? We're finally much better at screen passes but can't cover a simple swing pass?
Bill Musgrave OC of the Vikes. Yes he's a former backup qb of the Niners. Props to him for a good game plan against us
Im over it. I hope the coaches plan better for the Jets.

I'll have some, please.

Two helpings, if you don't mind.

Seriously, thanks for the thread, Marvin. Good stuff, as always.

Not a fun game to watch. Some of those calls against us were maddening.

Can't wait to put this one behind us.

I figure the same as well.

I just don't feel our offense is good enough right now to move the ball on a NYG or Baltimore team. Both of their DLine's are great. Not saying ours isn't, but we just don't have that fire right now that we had last year in getting to the QB.