There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by susweel:
Whats the point of this running Alex Smith tally from last year since the eagle game ?

The fact is yesterday he played like s**t and was the MAIN reason we lost the game.

Not accurate and you know that. The D got shredded on a consistent basis. We gave up a rushing TD to f**king Ponder...no AP...but Ponder.

Don't bother. He can't be convinced.

No worries. The Vikings played very well. They ate up the clock, played good defense, and CONSTANTLY converted 3rd downs. The only reason they didn't have MORE yards or points was that they were playing the 49ers game, IE...killing the clock from the start. They got to a lead early and never relented.

Ya know what? Sometimes the other team just has a better day. Plain and simple.

I agree. The Vikes played the best they probably can play with intensity to match and the 49ers just didn't respond. The Patriots don't win every game they play so I chalk this one up to a case of just being outplayed on that particular day. One thing that concerns me is Smith's accuracy to guys not named Vernon Davis. As teams do what the Vikes did early (stacked the box and crowded the LBs to the middle and forced Smith to the sidelines with his throws) can they effectively respond? Smith was okay but missed a few key passes.
I just keep looking back to our last superbowl year when Philly came to town and beat us down like 40-14 or something like that. We will have bad days - actually it probably will be good to take a little pressure of the team, keep us grounded
Originally posted by d49izme:
I just keep looking back to our last superbowl year when Philly came to town and beat us down like 40-14 or something like that. We will have bad days - actually it probably will be good to take a little pressure of the team, keep us grounded

40-8...I mentioned it in my post. What I remember most was Charlie Garner going nuts and Steve Young screaming at George Seifert. They didn't look much like a Super Bowl contender that day.
After an unanimous #1 rank in the power rankings, Freddy P Soft was bound to make an appearance. Hopefully this serves as a wake up call to the niners
Niners were simply caught with a bad case of Freddy P Soft mixed with a 10 am game. They probably got overconfident with all the talk of them being the best team in the league and they got away from some of the thing that made them the best team. So they didn't focus or prepare with the same urgency as before, and then didn't play at the level they've gotten accustomed to. The Vikings played this game as though their whole season depended on it, and the niners didn't, game over. I think this ass kicking is going to go a long way to make this team fully realize how tenuous success in the NFL is, how quickly it can slip away, and that they can never for a moment let up and think they can just show up for a game and win, that winning happens long before the whistle to start the game. Whitner said they were ready to play physically, but didn't have the same energy as before, and that makes total sense. They'd look good on one play, but then terrible for two. That isn't how they've played the past year.

Teams get overconfident all the time and lose to inferior teams, happens to every championship team, every year. I think the niners needed this, it's been said the only that can screw you up more than failure is success. Now they have a week to spend in Youngstown and soak this loss in and where they went wrong, so that it doesn't happen again.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
In the second half after the Williams big run back, they called 2 straight runs. Making it 3rd&3. Then a designed roll out by Smith that he couldn't find anyone open, so he tried to run for the first but came up short. He hit all the throws in the following TD scoring drive. Capping with a nice underpressure throw to VD in the endzone

You have to go to middle of the 4th quarter to find missed throws from Smith. Smith played a very good game until late when they were trying to mount a comeback.

3rd8 4th 9:15 Smith scrambled. Threw to Williams. Williams was held

These are the missed throws:

3rd&6 --6:36 4th -- to Davis
1st &10 --2:31 4th -- to Crabtree

2nd&10-- 2:30 4th-- to Crabtree -- INT

You guys are letting the emotion of a loss clouded the unfair criticism of Smith. He played a very good game within the offense.

Very much appreciate objective posts like this! Thank you...I felt the missed TD pass to Moss was an overthrow but not sure; Moss may have slowed up b/c it was a high throw - a throw Alex usually throws deeper where only his man can get it. But for now, I'd call that one an overthrow. As to the rest, spot on...

I also noticed (commentators pointed it out too) that receivers were running half speed or half routes and not continuing with them esp. when Alex was forced out of the pocket. Alex took some monster hits (again) holding the ball until the last second (for sacks/no gains) for receivers to ad lib and get open. They didn't. They'd run one route and then slowly jog. On the other other, I saw (almost like it's their GAME) when Ponder was out running, man, his guys were sprinting to get open, coming back, finding the holes, making GREAT catches, running crisp routes, etc. Huge difference!
Whats the point of this running Alex Smith tally from last year since the eagle game ?

The fact is yesterday he played like s**t and was the MAIN reason we lost the game.

Wrong. The defense was the reason we lost the game.
  • kush
  • Veteran
I may be insane but to me it looked like we were getting significantly more pressure than they were. As Marvin has said, gotta give credit to Ponder for making plays when his team needed him.
Originally posted by kush:
I may be insane but to me it looked like we were getting significantly more pressure than they were. As Marvin has said, gotta give credit to Ponder for making plays when his team needed him.

Defensively, the team was giving up short plays and couldn't get to Christian Ponder at all.

http://www.examiner.com/article/49ers-vs-vikings-five-things-we-learned

pretty much what I saw too.. every time one of our guys had the slightest chance, a wrong angle was taken and then exploited...
To me this was THE trap game. Either thinking about last game, or thinking about next game...or maybe not even concentrating....I dunno. It just looked like everybody was half there at times. the stat that moss was in on only 7 plays in the 2nd half , if true, is amazing. We got a guy who can catch the ball, usually, and he plays only 7 plays in 2nd half? What is that about? Coaching seemed half hearted, everybody seemed half asleep....except alex when he jacked that pass 15 feet over the receivers head. Even if it was a misread, no way that sucker should have been 10 feet high. I think a team and coaching grade of D- would apply here. Nobody looked alive here. It happens. This weekend it happened to us. Most important thing is that it doesn't happen again. As for moss playing only 7 snaps in 2nd half....that needs rectifying. It is really hard to put your finger on it, but it just looked like we were there in body, but not in spirit.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Good break down. Let's not forget that Whitner was labeled as the worst safety in the league in terms of TE coverage. The other teams know this. I mean Ponder could have thrown that last TD to a wide open AP but just waited for Rudolph to beat Whitner.

I think the defense looked flat b/c this was the 1st time since who knows when that they played a team that came out set on running the ball and punched you in the mouth up front. They got used to the soft ass Packers, Saints, and Lions fronts

Just a bad game overall. Gotta bounce back. The defense and offense were both bad.
What saftey can cover a TE one on one, besides Whitner is short lol Maybe we should try and double the tightend, with a linebacker under and whitner over.
Good, fair, and sensible assessment as usual. Good thread Marvin49!!
[ Edited by Irish40Niner on Sep 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM ]
does any one here think we lost this game on purpose just so the 49ers dont get to much attention and hype from the media? as we all know, harbaugh love to stay to be the underdogs.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

Wrong. The defense was the reason we lost the game.

The defense held them to 7 points in the second half and forced 2 turnovers, the offense mustered up a meager 10 points in the second half and gave back 2 turnovers. P Pathetic effort for only being down 11 points!!!
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Good, fair, and sensible post as usual.

Which one?