There are 147 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We lost on 3rd Down, and its unlikely to happen again (everybody calm down)

Originally posted by nickbradley:
That is the entire point of this thread.

Actually I can't recall a QB that made more ridiculous looking passes against this defense, the sheer amount of luck that was on his side was mind-boggling, if you replay that same game 100 times with those same throws, dude's going to average at least a couple turnovers if not more.
Originally posted by sfout:
Exactly jesus christ, we played more relaxed against detroit because it was pass heavy so he averaged 0.7 yards more then AP if by your own words you discount APs big run in the 4th. We had to play more run based defense in this game because it was AP. God you really dont want to hear constructive criticism about this team do you?

3.3 YPC from Kevin Smith happend because we were guarding Calvin Johnson, Brandon Pettigrew, and Titus Young while they were catching passes from Stafford. There was almost no run threat there so we let him get more yards.

2.5 YPC (again your own words because you wont factor in APs long run) happened because we were playing a more balanced team and had to defend against bubble screens from Harvin and runs from AP.

Its painfully obvious you are just ranting and not listening to what I am saying that we had to play stiffer run D against an all-pro running back in Adrian Peterson and we had to play stiffer pass defense against an all-pro receiver in Calvin Johnson.

The Vikings said "F**k it we might not hit home runs but if we keep getting 2 yards per carry then they have to worry about that single hole opening up and letting AP get a long TD. and when they start playing zone run schemes and crowding the box we'll do short dump offs to Harvin and Rudolph. We'll take the 2 yard run and add in a 10 yard pass. Boom 12 yards and first down, chain keeps moving. We will this every time and get down the field."

We lost because we got out "49ered" -- The vikings pounded the rock with AP, taking those 2 yards for 2 straight downs and then on 3rd and 6 they would do a high percentage bubble screen to Harvin and he'd get the first down with YAC.

No. I'm totally open to criticism - their running was not effective at all. It was all Ponder...avoiding at least 5 or 6 sacks, a 23 yard TD scramble, and a statistically anomalous set of third down conversions.

You combine that with an across-the-board uninspired 49er team and timely personal fouls against the 49ers, and you have an upset.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
That is the entire point of this thread.

Actually I can't recall a QB that made more ridiculous looking passes against this defense, the sheer amount of luck that was on his side was mind-boggling, if you replay that same game 100 times with those same throws, dude's going to average at least a couple turnovers if not more.
lol, true. He floated up a bunch of balls that would normally get picked.

Whitner had a pick 6 go right through his hands.
The only team that can "out-49er" the 49ers, straight up, is the Texans. They run the ball very well and play lights-out defense.

We will probably play them in the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

according to SFout, they 'pounded the rock' for a few yards a carry.
I think it is likely to happen again. The model to beating us is to not turn the ball over and stay back on Defense. We thrive off of those 2-3 big passes off the play action. Those are usually our score plays or the ones that set up the score. If a team stays disciplined and let us run, we may run ourselves out of getting 7's.

Nearly every loss has been to a team that didn't turn the ball over and played very well disciplined defense and not to bite on our "shock" pass plays.

Unless our QB makes some plays on his own, we will lose more games like this. Can't expect out defense to hold every team under 17.
i thought there was very litle pressure on ponder for most of the game..late fangio dialed up some blitzes and it worked, i.e the whitner near pick
i know vic likes to rush 4 and keep 7 back, but the vikes receivers dont warrant that respect, and pressuring ponder earlier would have been the move to make, i think
Originally posted by hofer36:
i thought there was very litle pressure on ponder for most of the game..late fangio dialed up some blitzes and it worked, i.e the whitner near pick
i know vic likes to rush 4 and keep 7 back, but the vikes receivers dont warrant that respect, and pressuring ponder earlier would have been the move to make, i think

He was pressured but there weren't enough bodies to stop his scramble.

We should have sent more guys from the start.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
No. I'm totally open to criticism - their running was not effective at all. It was all Ponder...avoiding at least 5 or 6 sacks, a 23 yard TD scramble, and a statistically anomalous set of third down conversions.

You combine that with an across-the-board uninspired 49er team and timely personal fouls against the 49ers, and you have an upset.

JESUS I NEVER SAID IT WAS EFFECTIVE. What are you reading?!?!?! I said they are content averaging a sub par 2 yards per carry because 2 straight runs of 2.5 adds up to 5. Leaving it at 3 and 5 then Ponder like you said randomly buys time or by design hits receiver 5 yards down the field and gets the first.

They knew they wouldn't run well, the entire point was to run for the sake of running.
JESUS I NEVER SAID IT WAS EFFECTIVE. What are you reading?!?!?! I said they are content averaging a sub par 2 yards per carry because 2 straight runs of 2.5 adds up to 5. Leaving it at 3 and 5 then Ponder like you said randomly buys time or by design hits receiver 5 yards down the field and gets the first.

They knew they wouldn't run well, the entire point was to run for the sake of running.

muahaha!

Frazier: "My secret plan to beat the 49ers is to run for 2 yards per carry, then have my quarterback complete reality-defying dump-off passes while throwing off his back foot."

^ seriously? If that's the way you beat the 49ers, I have no concerns.

This formula esp. works when you know on 3rd and 5+ we'll be playing our CB's 15 yards off (S's 25 yards deep) and ALL of your receivers will have clean releases off the LOS. Simple if you've got a mobile QB just in case there is some pressure (see QB rushing TD and ad-lib plays). Study up Fangio!!!!!
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM ]
I watched a video of Ponder's TD passes, he was backpedaling on both. They were two prayers. For Ponder the stars were in perfect alignment September 23, 2012.
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Our defense is absolutely horrible on 3rd and long...

This is where our lack of pass rush (or maybe just the lack of blitzes being called) is killing us. I think even Harbaugh mentioned the lack of blitzes being called after this weeks game.

100% correct! Our defense has been horrible on 3rd and long for a long time!

The lack of blitzing was inexcusable! Fangio played base D against Ponder in the pre-season and it didn't work. It didn't work yesterday and he should have adjusted by Q2.
[ Edited by Loco49er on Sep 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM ]
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I watched a video of Ponder's TD passes, he was backpedaling on both. They were two prayers. For Ponder the stars were in perfect alignment September 23, 2012.

Typically, one does not throw two touchdowns while backpedaling.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

you could see it in his face on both TD's. He was like, "WTF??"