There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Thoughts from INSIDE THE BUILDING...

First regular season 49er game for me. .. Hope I'm not a jinx z :(

It was hard to observe stuff as well as tv because of replays and the like.

What I did notice:

From the first drive, it was very concerning. The urgency was clearly not there, and that first screen pass the RB was so wide open it was scary. I don't know if it showed as much on tv but it didn't feel good early on. The TD set a tone that was concerning.

On offense, holy sh$&& that stadium gets LOUD. It's amazing we didn't half false starts. As bad as today was, we still converted 3rd downs when I could imagine last year we wouldn't have under similar circumstances.

I hOnestly couldn't tell about separation and what not. I think again another week of the dropsies.

It appeared to me that we were getting lousy spots on offense and Vikings great spots. Anytime there could be favorable calls for them, they got them.

Apologize If this was obvious as you all saw the game in TV, but just being there you could feel the energy a lot better. Will watch the game when I get home to see if it translates on tv the same.

Every sack and big play for Vikings felt like playoff level intensity.

Curious to hear your thoughts if all this translated on television. A very tough game to have to endure in person.
I noticed if you are a junkie with personnel, being there in person is great. We dubbed our WRs and TEs quite often
No it did not. I appreciate your feedback and this helps to explain a great deal today what I saw from home
the thing that concerned me the most was the defense. it showed no urgency/fire. i hope they got humbled today, they got a target on their back and teams are gunnin' for them
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Sep 23, 2012 at 6:16 PM ]
I totally agree, some of the spots for min was very generous, and we kept getting the shaft, until the end.
Crowd noise through he speakers
What I noticed was that in three straight weeks we played teams with mobile QBs with strong arms and no running game but today we changed our Defensive approach- and lost.

They have no running game and yet we sat back and watched ponder throw all day because we couldnt cover WR with our base D.

Coaching was the s**ts
[ Edited by SealTeam6 on Sep 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM ]
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
What I noticed was that in three straight weeks we played teams with mobile QBs with strong arms and no running game but today we changed our Defensive approach- and lost.

They have no running game and yet we sat back and watched ponder throw all day because we couldnt cover WR with our base D.

Coaching was the s**ts

We had a lot of respect for AP. That dude is a beast
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Coaching was the s**ts

Stafford isn't mobile, general point is somewhat valid but Stafford is one of the leagues worst QBs outside of the pocket.. You also can't say the Vikes dont have a run game because even its AP 9 months removed from 2 repaired knee tendons he is still AP and Harvin might as well have been an RB just like Cobb was for GB. They had success with both of them and even if AP was only averaging 2.5/3 YPC for the the first 2.5 quarters, he helped put the game out of reach as time wore on.

This was our first time playing our base defense the entire season and we lost because we let someone beat us at our own game of power running with a moderate pass attack that maximized its weapons on low risk/high reward plays. I'd really hate to include Alex in this but unlike him Ponder decisively ran it today if it wasn't there, his TD was on a play that he knew was busted before the TE even got 5 yards down field so he just took off. Credit to them for taking what we gave them, we gave too much and lost. Conservative coaching, play calling and yes even QB play lost us this game as well as a very subpar effort form our D. We had very few bright spots today and it wasn't cohesive at all.

Gore getting 12 touches a game is okay, but only if we are handing the rock off to Hunter, LMJ, Jacobs, or even Ginn or Manningham at least another 12 times. Seriously we called a run 16 times compared to 42 drop backs -- we clearly got away from our identity as run first power team. Throwing the ball more often is okay but only if you take shots down the field and the longest play all game was the attempt at Moss in the end zone, outside of that I dont think a ball traveled 10 yards past the LOS today.

Based on our game plan this game was lost back on Monday, the success of our team starts with our coaches and they failed the team this week with a terrible game plan on both sides of the ball. Yes our players, with the exception of a few, played like trash but this game was doomed from the get-go with that kind of a game plan.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:

Coaching was the s**ts

Stafford isn't mobile, general point is somewhat valid but Stafford is one of the leagues worst QBs outside of the pocket.. You also can't say the Vikes dont have a run game because even its AP 9 months removed from 2 repaired knee tendons he is still AP and Harvin might as well have been an RB just like Cobb was for GB. They had success with both of them and even if AP was only averaging 2.5/3 YPC for the the first 2.5 quarters, he helped put the game out of reach as time wore on.

This was our first time playing our base defense the entire season and we lost because we let someone beat us at our own game of power running with a moderate pass attack that maximized its weapons on low risk/high reward plays. I'd really hate to include Alex in this but unlike him Ponder decisive ran it today if it wasn't there, his TD was on a play that he knew was busted before the TD even got 5 yards down field so he just took off. Credit to them for taking what we gave them, we gave too much and lost. Conservative coaching, play calling and yes even QB play lost us this game as well as a very subpar effort form our D. We had very few bright spots today and it wasn't cohesive at all.

Gore getting 12 touches a game is okay, but only if we are handing the rock off to Hunter, LMJ, Jacobs, or even Ginn or Manningham at least another 12 times. Seriously we called a run 16 times compared to 42 drop backs -- we clearly got away from our identity as run first power team. Throwing the ball more often is okay but only if you take shots down the field and the longest play all game was the attempt at Moss in the end zone, outside of that I dont think a ball traveled 10 yards past the LOS today.

Based on our game plan this game was lost back on Monday, the success of our team starts with our coaches and they failed the team this wek with a terrible game plan on both sides of the ball. Yes our plays, with the exception of a few, played like trash but this game was doomed from the get-go with that kind of a game plan.

Truth,
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Coaching was the s**ts

We had a lot of respect for AP. That dude is a beast

I had a lot of respect when he ran wild 3 years ago. 64 total yards coming into the game. Great, we held him under a 100 and what did we get for it?

Coaching was the s**ts

This was our first time playing our base defense the entire season and we lost because we let someone beat us at our own game of power running with a moderate pass attack that maximized its weapons on low risk/high reward plays. I'd really hate to include Alex in this but unlike him Ponder decisively ran it today if it wasn't there, his TD was on a play that he knew was busted before the TE even got 5 yards down field so he just took off. Credit to them for taking what we gave them, we gave too much and lost. Conservative coaching, play calling and yes even QB play lost us this game as well as a very subpar effort form our D. We had very few bright spots today and it wasn't cohesive at all.

Based on our game plan this game was lost back on Monday, the success of our team starts with our coaches and they failed the team this week with a terrible game plan on both sides of the ball. Yes our players, with the exception of a few, played like trash but this game was doomed from the get-go with that kind of a game plan.

Don't we practice our base defense in practice , kind of like the long ball we won't try in preseason cause we are saving our secrets?
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Coaching was the s**ts

Don't we practice our base defense in practice , kind of like the long ball we won't try in preseason cause we are saving our secrets?

Why would we practice something we wont be playing that weekend? I think we would be practicing in the formations we would actually be running and not wasting valuable reps on something we wont use for 3 weeks.

There is simply no reason for us to practice our base defense beyond the most basic drills during the first 2 weeks of the season. We played a grand total of 15 snaps in our base 3-4 during weeks 1 and 2. We definitely spend the overwhelming majority of our time on our Nickel and Dime pckages. Before this past Monday the last time we probably spent more then a few moments on base D was probably in week 4 of the pre-season when we getting rookies reps.

I'm not really sure how our base D correlates to us not going deep in the pre-season but what I said was about play distribution and shot plays. We didn't take a shot down field at all today and it cost us.
The worst part of the game, other than the terrible officiating was how flat the defense came out. We lost because the d let them march up and down the feild on long clock eating drives. Bad game plans and an uninspired overall effort. Now we get to see what this team is made of, how they respond to this lackluster effort will tell us what this team is about.

Coaching was the s**ts

No running game? The viking running game is far more superior than the pack and lions. My observation was even though we may have the best run D in the league, the vikings didn't shy away from it. They kept running and running. We defended it most of the day but at times Peterson got his 5+ gains. The vikings said all week they were going to establish the run and thats what we planned for. Oh yeah, they have a mobile QB in Ponder and an excellent receiver in Harvin to no to mention a tight end that was beating us. We are not so outstanding in covering big/tall TE's, remember the Saints game? Singletary probably had a few comments for the gameplan this week for sure. I said this before and will say it again, I think our defense will have problems against teams that have legit run and pass games, and if they have a big/tall TE, another plus for them. Another thing I observed, the DLine pressure just isn't there like it was last year. They played with fire and intensity last year, in the first 3 games just didn't see it. Could be a combination of things. Maybe Aldon being an every down player is hurting the defense. Maybe the the fire/intensity will come in time. Who knows? I just know if the defense doesn't turn it up, teams will not be scared of our D anymore. We have a very tough game in NYJ next week and that would be a perfect time to make a statement that the Vikings game was just a bad game.
[ Edited by Baldie on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:28 AM ]