Originally posted by sfout:
Agreed. This game has handedly decided by our coaches conservative mindset and game plan. That series after KWs monster return reminded me off the days of Singletary, run, run, run kick -- We basically should've passed 3 times and probably even gone for it on 4th if none of the previous plays worked. Not capitalizing on either of Williams big returns was completely demoralizing for us.
If I had to prioritize blame I'd say this
1. Harbaugh / Roman / Fangio - Bad game plan from the get-go, bad playing in game, bad game management. All around bad coaching.
2. Alex - Not taking chances on the plays that were called for him, he almost hit Moss in the endzone but other then that I dont recall a single pass beyond 15 yards.
3. Gore - That random fumble really hurt us but he did perform solidly in general. That turnover helped take the game out of our hands though.
4. Defense especially Tarell Brown - Brown had a horrendous game, he didn't play through the whistle and would lag behind Harvin and Aromashodu on plays and if/when Ponder bought time he would end up hitting one of them for a big gain.
Our pass rush was "pressuring" Ponder but no one actually sacked him and that is just inexcusable based on how many times we got near him.
I agree with your 4 points but would have to say that the D belongs at the top of the list.
Ponder looked like Rodgers out there tonight, we could not get off the field and let them control not only the time of position but the tempo of the game. And when given the chance, we drop a pick 6 that would have totally changed the game. We always give this unit its props and say they are the main reason for our sucess but they were nowhere to be found tonight.
I'd then say that Alex, Frank and the coachs tie for #2 on the blame scale. All had bad days of equal proportions. None made the plays when presented to them or made an error when we could least afford it.
Don't think the Oline is far behind in the blame and I'm really starting to sour on Staley. He gets beat way too often for his position and if we have to help him out we better start doing so.
We will learn from this defeat and be the better for it I'd like to think.