There are 252 users in the forums

NFC West....Should we be worried?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Arizona is looking really solid. Right now, they're playing the best defense any team has played in at least a few seasons. If they can get just decent play from Kolb, they'll probably win the division unless we can turn things around in a big way. In a lot of ways, they're very similar to us last season, but I think their defense is probably better than ours was by a fair margin. I think our defense is more talented, but Ray Horton is much better schematically than Fangio. They find ways to get pressure on the QB on almost every play. It seems like a lot of times this seasons (and last season too) that QBs we've faced have gotten a ton of time to wait for someone to get open.

lol way better than ours based on one s**tty loss to minnesota where the whole team sucked lol. calm down dude, we'll be fine. were one game behind them as of right now, they will not go undefeated, theyre playing good team football right now like we played the first two weeks and all of last year with. theyve also had their fair share of luck this year with these s**tty refs were weve been tortured by them so far. itll all balance out soon

Game-planning on both offense and defense scare me. Last night I saw good game plans for Seattle's defense and then good adjustments on offense for GB. Essentially, after 8 sacks, GB started playing OUR game. Jumbo, max protection, power running, timely passing and clock-management...and it worked. So that said, we are BUILT to beat the Seahawks. The Cards, not so much...

We struggle against great 3-4 defenses that can disguise blitzes well and THAT is what the Cards are. They dictate offenses. They are MUCH more advanced than Fangio and I don't see Roman adjusting well in-game and at half times, generally. As to Seattle, they played exactly how I'd like our defense to play...but don't. They play VERY physical, tight up at the LOS and do not let a single WR/TE have a clean release. And b/c of the refs, they continue to be physical well beyond the 5 yards too (and get away with it). Us, we give ENORMOUS cushions and nothing but clean releases. We let a guy like Ponder deliver time and time again and gain confidence and make plays esp. on 3rd downs when we are playing off 10-15 yards with our CB's and 25 yards deep with our S's.

Fangio and Roman are hit and miss to me and I'm not seeing much, if any, in-game adjustments to adopt to the culture of the game like I do with smarter teams/coaching.

I watch every game multiple times, objectively and I'm wondering, is that just me?

We still have the most talent, top-to-bottom; just not sure if we're playing to our strengths or are making the proper adjustments.
Watching Dom capers defense last night and you see the Packers doing the same thing. They just have more aggressive corners Rodgers and Brown aren't as fast, big or aggressive as any of the corners that were on the field last night.

And when you watch Arizona they blitz there middle linebackers right up the middle all the time. Willis and Bowman are both average to below average in terms of blitzing and mostly get stonewalled. Then leaving Whitner on a tight end to get exposed. That's why they run so many stunts to get Aldon free but at times it takes too long.

It's coaching and personnel.We need the Cowboy and Raymac to play better. Last year at this point both guys were wrecking havoc.

Thanks for posting. If I hadn't seen us play more physical against the Lions, I'd agree 100% with you. That said, you have valid points esp. about the DL and Bowman/Willis (thought they were working on pass rushing LAST year?).

And thoughts on solutions?
Cardinals have such an easy schedule ahead of them.
Originally posted by BayArea:

the back end wont be nice

The Cards and Niners have identical schedules besides the Saints game so I guess the Niners have an easy schedule ahead of them too.
Cardinals still have to go to Minnesota and Green Bay, they've historically struggled in both places.
The Cards and Hawks schedules only get easier, and ours only get harder. Also, their teams look, well, pretty close to perfect where as Minnesota showed us just how flawed we are.
Originally posted by area49:
The Cards and Hawks schedules only get easier, and ours only get harder. Also, their teams look, well, pretty close to perfect where as Minnesota showed us just how flawed we are.

Lmao
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by area49:

Lmao

Time to go to LA and kill ourselves!
Originally posted by NCommand:
This. I watched the coaches film of the Lions game (only way to really watch the passing game) and we didn't run a single deep ball. So you are right. No question. And the biggest issue I see is that we don't run a progression-read offense. We run a team-offense of designed plays. For instance, the play design dictates Alex's throw. The only control Alex seems to have is pre-snap reads to either roll with it or kill it (check from a pass to a run or from a run to a pass). When we run a jumbo package and they stack 10 in the box though, we have NO passing option out of that and we tend to get stuffed every time esp. in short yardage. Regarding our offense, one play highlighted our passing game very well...Alex takes a snap, throws instantly to the underneath, intermediate WR "while" the deeper WR to that side is already engaged in blocking for him. All 11 players play a roll in that play design. This means that nobody else is a viable receiving threat should that only-option receiver not be open. This forces Alex to either hit his initial guy (if open) or run for his life. This is also why we don't see too many ad-lib plays save for a couple.

In short, we are still installing the WCO in packages. We are not playing a traditional WCO yet where it is centered around pre-snap reads AND progression reads during a live play. We have to remember that we are just now installing year 2 of 3. We have a ways to go and we have many new receiving threats.

I just don't know when we will install the deeper packages as it's been 100% short-to-intermediate packages so far. Granted, most have been successful but right now, this is an all-or-nothing offense. If that only-read receiver is not open, Alex is running for his life! On a side note, we are terrible at ad-libing save for a couple big plays thanks to the young guys (Hunter/Miller).

That is disturbing...
I expect to hear some tweet rumblings from our keyboard warrior at the Cardinals in Dockett.

Originally posted by ace49ers:
I expect to hear some tweet rumblings from our keyboard warrior at the Cardinals in Dockett.

How bad was his injury this past weekend?
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

The Cards and Niners have identical schedules besides the Saints game so I guess the Niners have an easy schedule ahead of them too.

Ill admit I only compared games going into the bye. Just looking at that I think we got to strive to match records or best them at that point. I wan't really going on the rest of the season but more the next 5-6 games which may decide the season.

9ers

@Jets
Bills
Giants
Seahawks
@Cardinals
BYE
Rams

Cards

Dolphins
Rams
Bills
@Vikings
49ers
@Greenbay
BYE

When looked at objectively we should be equal through that stretch.

But we are already one back.

Basically a lot can be said heading out of that bye.

I agree too much assumptions. I will come back and check this after some meaningful time has passed.
not a single fu*k is given
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ace49ers:

How bad was his injury this past weekend?

lol just read up on that, yeah looks like hes doubtful to return for the time being.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
not a single fu*k is given

Crazy dude. But if we win in division play it will go a long ways towards winning this division. I think that SF SEA and ARI have excellent defenses but I am of the opinion that we have the only offense that has studs in both the running and passing game, thus we are a more complete offensive team. We have Gore and VD, SEA had Skittles, and ARI has Fitz. Those are one dimensional offenses whereas we are capable of threatening in either or more specifically have individuals that you have to load up on in defensive situations. You load the box for Gore and Lynch and you put an umbrella on Fitz and VD. I think our task defensively will not be as great as the tasks for SEA and ARI. I give us a great shot to win in division play and win in division
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Sep 25, 2012 at 11:22 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone