There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Airing It Out -- Pros/Cons

Much is said about Harbaugh's mentality of hiding plays, but I wonder how much hiding is good?

I think if there are some really nifty, beautiful play designs that can break a game open, that's one thing that should be shelved until needed (e.g. Giants game, playoffs, etc).

But merely testing the receivers deep, I don't know if that's really such a big deal. It's always there on every single play (it's why you have safeties) for all 32 teams....some use it less, some use it more...but it's there.

Besides being a spoiled fan that wants to see big plays, my biggest concern is that we might not be able to flip a switch and suddenly have great success using it (hopefully I'm wrong on this). I'm all for patience and conservative football so long as these plays can be executed when needed.

At some point we have to start attacking, especially against non blitzing teams that can rush 4 and drop back more into coverage.

Regardless of great success or not, the threat should open up the LOS and short/intermediate routes a lot more.

Look at our boy here....I expect big things!!

Where's the safety.... On just about all of those deep throws there was no safety in the picture. When you actually see one he's late. It's easy to catch a long one with no safety around, but we know it doesn't work like that most of the time.
We don't need to practice it in games, if Smith shows he can do it in practice vs. OUR defense, then there's no reason to not have confidence that he won't be able to do it when we really need it
You want the 49er offense to turn into the NYG offense. Not going to happen as long as Harbaugh is coach, but will they throw the long ball? Sure, just as soon as teams bring in their DBs tight and Smith has as much time as E Manning had on most of those plays. But they will not live and die by the long ball.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
You want the 49er offense to turn into the NYG offense. Not going to happen as long as Harbaugh is coach, but will they throw the long ball? Sure, just as soon as teams bring in their DBs tight and Smith has as much time as E Manning had on most of those plays. But they will not live and die by the long ball.

I dont think thats what he was getting at.


There are many pros and cons to airing out the ball, more yardage, opening up short routes or the run game, the longer alex is in the pocket the bigger chance of a sack, downfield miscues between the receivers and there routes (happens to every team), more time for the defense to jump on the ball. Being that we are a run first team, we have to use that to open up the down field. The thing is we get very successful in our run game and short pass game if its not broke why fix it?
In JH I trust.

He's like a good poker player, he'll play his hand when he has to.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Regardless of great success or not, the threat should open up the LOS and short/intermediate routes a lot more.

The higher probability of having a deep ball fail isn't worth it when compared to short/intermediate routes setting up the deep ball instead. Besides, the only "appropriate" time to try to go for the deep ball (besides when we're down a lot of course) is on something like 2nd and 1 or 2, where a play action is likely to catch the D off guard. Even if you fail, the chances are still in your favor when it's 3rd and short, and that's how Harbaugh likes to play it, with the numbers on his side.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

At some point we have to start attacking, especially against non blitzing teams that can rush 4 and drop back more into coverage.


Imo, I think producing long clock eating, methodical TD drives, are far more important than quick-strike big plays for TDs.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind big plays every so often though!
  • obx49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,267
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
In JH I trust.

He's like a good poker player, he'll play his hand when he has to.

Agreed! A "W" is all I want no matter what it looks like. Let's just allow Harbaugh do what he does best and that's win games.
Originally posted by lordfangio:
We don't need to practice it in games, if Smith shows he can do it in practice vs. OUR defense, then there's no reason to not have confidence that he won't be able to do it when we really need it

This.

... and I'm as eager to see a deep pass attempt also.. but I don't feel concerned about our ability to move down the field quickly if we need to. We did it last year with less talent on offense. No worries...
are team is like a chameleon we can adapt to the situation

we dont need to air it out

we have never been losing so far this season we havent had the need to ait it out and airing out for the sake of it is never a good idea
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I dont think thats what he was getting at.


There are many pros and cons to airing out the ball, more yardage, opening up short routes or the run game, the longer alex is in the pocket the bigger chance of a sack, downfield miscues between the receivers and there routes (happens to every team), more time for the defense to jump on the ball. Being that we are a run first team, we have to use that to open up the down field. The thing is we get very successful in our run game and short pass game if its not broke why fix it?

Well, wanting the team to air it out implies playing a different type of game than they play currently. Last year there were numerous long passes each week so yes, they can and will throw long when it is called for. The second part of my response mentioned taking what the D gives you and you have to admit Smith has been deadly doing just this. If not for the drops he would be well over 80% on completions. So I am patient and will enjoy whatever they do to win games.
I firmly believe that if Harbaugh could win every game by 10 points or less he would. That is, unless he's playing Pete Carroll.

To me it seems like he wants just enough cushion to be assured of victory and then he will put the clamps down on the opponent by playing great defense and keep-away with the ball with an almost diabolical line of play calling.

If you're winning with 7's and 8's showing on the table, no need to advertise that ace in the hole.
Man I despise FF. Threads like this wouldn't even be posted if not for FF. Success no matter how is all that is needed.

I'm pretty sure that the long ball will be called when it is needed ie coming from behind. But to do it just to show/see we can when the current system is working is just stupid. As for the idea it will keep defenses honest well they are already concerned with it. They will remain concerned until the team shows them otherwise.
Originally posted by kingairta:
Man I despise FF. Threads like this wouldn't even be posted if not for FF. Success no matter how is all that is needed.

I'm pretty sure that the long ball will be called when it is needed ie coming from behind. But to do it just to show/see we can when the current system is working is just stupid. As for the idea it will keep defenses honest well they are already concerned with it. They will remain concerned until the team shows them otherwise.

I'm absolutely KILLING my FF league with my Niners players. VD is obvious, but i have Akers and Bowman as my kicker and Def player and those two are good for double digits every week.