There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Turning Point | 49ers vs Lions Week 2

There's 3 turning points for Smith. First one is the Seattle game in Seattle in 2006. Then 2009 in Houston when he took over at half time over Shaun Hill threw 3 TDs to Vernon. Then the boo fest game in 2010.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Steak does not equal beef. Never had a tuna steak?

I never had a tuna steak that's tough to chew.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by mella8:
Rewatching that game, we are sooooooooo capable of making every drive like our opening drive. This could have easily been a 45-12 blowout. We scored our first TD in 4 plays, and that included an incomplete pass on the first play. Then we went into milking the clock mode, slowing down the game, etc...and it kinda let the Lions hang around. Im not complaining about our offensive strategy --- Im well aware this team is built on clock management "run first / pass second" mentality, but still. Sometimes I feel like it's so easy (felt the same way vs that Packers) but we just hold ourselves back just so we can kill the clock a bit.

I hope as the season progresses, we start mixing the 2 styles. Id like to see us slow the game down (bc it plays into our strengths), but once in awhile it doesnt hurt to suckerpunch the opponent with a quick strike TD.

Fun season.

There's a debate to be had over the effectiveness of the slow strangle--which we've been using the last couple games--and quickly breaking the neck and burying them (under an avalanche of points)

Well there's risk and reward for both styles of offense.

The "slow stangle" approach can be deafening, but you're really relying on minimal mistakes and mental lapses to execute it. The concept is to drain the clock and squeeze your opponent from having enough time to make a comeback; but at the same time, you're guaranteeing that said 'milking' will eventually give you the points at the end to win. With a mistake free offense like ours, this is a great philosophy --- but the risk is taking the clock down to no time (with no points) and then making a mistake (eg turnover) --- now the other team might have the last chance to win it.

The "neck break" approach relies on shellshocking your opponents into submission. Just run up the score and make them change their offensive strategy so they can play keep up. This is a great approach as well, especially if you have a great defense (hint hint) bc now your opponent becomes one dimensional trying to keep the game close --- and that means lots of turnovers. The problem with this strategy is high risk - high reward. More long passes = lesser probability for completions and increased risk on INTs. An off day (see P.Manning on MNF) could spell disaster and put your own team out of its misery pretty quick.

I think the Niners can play both ways. I just dont want us to get too comfortable in just one style; especially since we have shown this year that we can make a quick strike if needed. Id like to see us do a combo of the two.

The "slow stangle" approach can be deafening, but you're really relying on minimal mistakes and mental lapses to execute it. The concept is to drain the clock and squeeze your opponent from having enough time to make a comeback; but at the same time, you're guaranteeing that said 'milking' will eventually give you the points at the end to win. With a mistake free offense like ours, this is a great philosophy --- but the risk is taking the clock down to no time (with no points) and then making a mistake (eg turnover) --- now the other team might have the last chance to win it.

The "neck break" approach relies on shellshocking your opponents into submission. Just run up the score and make them change their offensive strategy so they can play keep up. This is a great approach as well, especially if you have a great defense (hint hint) bc now your opponent becomes one dimensional trying to keep the game close --- and that means lots of turnovers. The problem with this strategy is high risk - high reward. More long passes = lesser probability for completions and increased risk on INTs. An off day (see P.Manning on MNF) could spell disaster and put your own team out of its misery pretty quick.

I think the Niners can play both ways. I just dont want us to get too comfortable in just one style; especially since we have shown this year that we can make a quick strike if needed. Id like to see us do a combo of the two.

I like the possibility that we are using one to build to the other. I hope by the end of the year we are, like you said, combining the two leaving teams at a loss as to which one to gameplan for.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Rewatching that game, we are sooooooooo capable of making every drive like our opening drive. This could have easily been a 45-12 blowout. We scored our first TD in 4 plays, and that included an incomplete pass on the first play. Then we went into milking the clock mode, slowing down the game, etc...and it kinda let the Lions hang around. Im not complaining about our offensive strategy --- Im well aware this team is built on clock management "run first / pass second" mentality, but still. Sometimes I feel like it's so easy (felt the same way vs that Packers) but we just hold ourselves back just so we can kill the clock a bit.

I hope as the season progresses, we start mixing the 2 styles. Id like to see us slow the game down (bc it plays into our strengths), but once in awhile it doesnt hurt to suckerpunch the opponent with a quick strike TD.

Fun season.

There's a debate to be had over the effectiveness of the slow strangle--which we've been using the last couple games--and quickly breaking the neck and burying them (under an avalanche of points)

Awesome post; couldn't agree more. We should see a few bumps in the road but also more and more wrinkles added. We will probably see a few blow out games like TB last year and some more nail bitters. I think the culture of the game will dictate our "style" but to your last point, the best one, we now have the capability to do both and should only get better and better!
Turning points?

1) Coach he trusts ridiculing him for not playing with a broken shoulder.
2) Coach screams at him for not trying harder as he comes off the field after being sacked three plays in a row.
3) Finally saying F'it when Raye's offense isn't working and calling his own game--ignoring Raye.
4) Johnson taking over for Raye and letting Smith just play.
5) JH takes over and installs a real offense.

These points are times when he learned a difficult lesson, which has made him a tough leader.
Originally posted by 5NorCalSavage2:

Niner fans, can anyone possibly put up the turning point from yesterday (Wed. 11/28). The one that Maoicco wrote an article about... sounds really interesting. Sideline interaction between Moss and Kap during the Ain'ts game. Thanks homies.
yes please please. ^

and not just the preview version...that was a great tease.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Niner fans, can anyone possibly put up the turning point from yesterday (Wed. 11/28). The one that Maoicco wrote an article about... sounds really interesting. Sideline interaction between Moss and Kap during the Ain'ts game. Thanks homies.

I saw some of it on Inside the NFL last night....

Moss was giving Kaep a lot of props on the sideline "You played awesome today man!"....very positive vibe from Randall.
i recorded it at my house. You guys can come over and watch it.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Moss was giving Kaep a lot of props on the sideline "You played awesome today man!"....very positive vibe from Randall.

I just watched the whole thing...

After the play where CK threw an ugly backshoulder pass to Moss in the corner of the endzone which almost got intercepted if Moss had not held the CB...they showed the interaction between CK and Moss on the sideline that went something like this...

Moss : "It's alright man, you'll learn next time"

CK : "NAW MAN, I SHOULD'VE HIT YOU ON THAT!!"

Moss: "It's aight man, don't trip! You're playing a hell of game man you need to smile! You're shining boyeee, you've been waiting on your opportunity to shine and you're shining man!! (hits CK's shoulder pads) You're playing one hell of a game!"
Originally posted by verb1der:

After the play where CK threw an ugly backshoulder pass to Moss in the corner of the endzone which almost got intercepted if Moss had not held the CB...they showed the interaction between CK and Moss on the sideline that went something like this...

Moss: "It's aight man, don't trip! You're playing a hell of game man you need to smile! You're shining boyeee, you've been waiting on your opportunity to shine and you're shining man!! (hits CK's shoulder pads) You're playing one hell of a game!"

Moss: "It's all good, bro. You live and you learn, man. Hey, man, I'm proud of you, dog."

Kaepernick: "Man, I'm mad. I'm trying to get it in your hands. (Inaudible.)"

Moss: "Ain't nothing to be mad about. Hey, you've been waiting on your chance to shine, and you shined, dog. . . Way to go! (Moss hits Kaepernick in the chest.) Proud! Man, smile! I'm talkin' about smile, bro. You had a heck of a game, man."
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Moss-expresses-pride-in-Kaepernicks-play?blockID=807511&feedID=5936

It's NBCSN so probay hulu or iTunes will have it first...yeah someone upload that!
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Originally posted by verb1der:

Moss: "It's all good, bro. You live and you learn, man. Hey, man, I'm proud of you, dog."

Kaepernick: "Man, I'm mad. I'm trying to get it in your hands. (Inaudible.)"

Moss: "Ain't nothing to be mad about. Hey, you've been waiting on your chance to shine, and you shined, dog. . . Way to go! (Moss hits Kaepernick in the chest.) Proud! Man, smile! I'm talkin' about smile, bro. You had a heck of a game, man."
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Moss-expresses-pride-in-Kaepernicks-play?blockID=807511&feedID=5936

yea, that's what I meant lol