There are 65 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A thought on Singletary and where we are...

Originally posted by KegBert:
I really don't get why this is still being brought up. Mike Singletary was a terrible head coach.

I mean I could latch on and cherry pick positives out of past regimes as well.

Sing fixed VD, Nolan and Mcgloughlan drafted quite a few of our current core players etc. etc.

Fact of the matter is, none of them could get it done.

In comes Harbs and voila, instant contenders.

I guess I would just rather focus on our present and bright future than pontificate on past failures.

Nolan and Sing did great things for this team but where not the right fits. I mean, they are human beings and they weren't good at their jobs. That could be said about a lot of us.

I think it's good to remember who helped us get where we are, while acknowledging we wouldn't be here without Harbs and Baalke.


The real unsung hero is Paraag
I agree with you on Paraag being an unsung hero but, for him unfortunately, that kinda goes with his job. (Unless he can figure out how to keep Bowman and Willis together for years to come) He might have a statue erected then.

I'm also aware of what Sing and Nolan have done in the past in shaping this team to what it is today.

I'm not entirely sure I have a point here lol. Guess I'm just saying that all of that stuff was well and good but what really matters in this league is wins and Nolan and Sing end up on the short end of that stick.
Originally posted by KegBert:
I agree with you on Paraag being an unsung hero but, for him unfortunately, that kinda goes with his job. (Unless he can figure out how to keep Bowman and Willis together for years to come) He might have a statue erected then.

I'm also aware of what Sing and Nolan have done in the past in shaping this team to what it is today.

I'm not entirely sure I have a point here lol. Guess I'm just saying that all of that stuff was well and good but what really matters in this league is wins and Nolan and Sing end up on the short end of that stick.

I'm sure that no one will disagree with you on those points, I just kind of feel like Nolan and Sing were good guys (outside of how they handled Alex) and we should give them some props while acknowledging they are absolutely WRONG for being HC's.
Singletary and Nolan both brought in some great players, no doubt. I also dont doubt one bit that HarBaalke could have brought in just as good of players as they did. Sure Im happy that Nolan drafted Gore, Davis, Willis, Staley, RayMac, Goldson, and Brown and signed Smith. Singletary brought in Crabs, Davis, Iupati, and Bowman. Any competent personnel guy will bring in good players. They're all playing better under Harbaugh though.
If Singletary was still the head coach we would have been 5-11 last year. I give him no props for how good our team plays now.


jreff22 a troll? He has one of the most popular threads going on this forum. Or is it more, I cant remember, too much beer I guess.

Sing was a great LB coach. I loved it when we brought him in to teach up Willis. The man was a disaster as a HC, any and all draft picks under him I give credit to the front office (aside from Mays) thats on him. The wins we had, albeit few, I chalk up to either chance, pure luck, or players actually deciding to win against the odds.

Can your next thread be about how great Erickson was a coach here, that would be fun.
Originally posted by frozen49er:


jreff22 a troll? He has one of the most popular threads going on this forum. Or is it more, I cant remember, too much beer I guess.

Sing was a great LB coach. I loved it when we brought him in to teach up Willis. The man was a disaster as a HC, any and all draft picks under him I give credit to the front office (aside from Mays) thats on him. The wins we had, albeit few, I chalk up to either chance, pure luck, or players actually deciding to win against the odds.

Can your next thread be about how great Erickson was a coach here, that would be fun.

Sing was here for 2 years before Willis was here. He was also AGAINST drafting Willis in the beginning. Willis would be all pro without him.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Sing was here for 2 years before Willis was here. He was also AGAINST drafting Willis in the beginning. Willis would be all pro without him.

My bad (beer) really. I should have said I was glad Sing was teaching Willis the posistion. I do remember him being against the drafting of him. I dont doubt he'd be an all pro without him, at the time however, it seemed to be a blessing. Hindsight and all.
Originally posted by shawny:
What he did with Alex and his gameplans were messed up, thats true. Almost ruined Alex. You still can't take away all he did for Patrick Willis, VD, Alex Boone and Ahmad Brooks, let alone giving Bowman the start over Spikes and recognizing that. He was just out of his depth.

Give credit where credit is due.

I refuse to give him credit for anything. The guy was the most incompetent coach I have ever seen. So a few players did well while he was coaching. Who gives a sh*t? You just pointed out two top 11 picks in the draft. All those guys needed was time. I get upset every time I see Singletary's face.

And I am pretty sure Bowman started under Harbaugh.
Singletary knew talent, he just could not coach. In the NFL you don't hand the reins over to someone with zero coaching experience. Coach Harbaugh can coach and has great assistant coaches. This present team is one step ahead of the teams it plays. For instance, the 23 yard TD by Frank against the Packers was a thing of beauty. Watch the play develop, the 49ers shift and put themselves in perfect position on the play. Singletary couldn't come anywhere near that kind of play calling.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Singletary knew talent, he just could not coach. In the NFL you don't hand the reins over to someone with zero coaching experience. Coach Harbaugh can coach and has great assistant coaches. This present team is one step ahead of the teams it plays. For instance, the 23 yard TD by Frank against the Packers was a thing of beauty. Watch the play develop, the 49ers shift and put themselves in perfect position on the play. Singletary couldn't come anywhere near that kind of play calling.

That was an awesome audible at the line by Alex.
I think there's a good point to this thread. The Singletary -> Harbaugh transition was a lot easier than a lot of HC transitions, and the type of football that Harbaugh plays is the same type that Singletary tried to instill.

The problem, of course, was that Singletary's only strength as a coach was his intensity, and that offers diminishing returns. Harbaugh brought offensive competency and teamwide cohesion (including on the defense), along with the FO moves of Baalke, to take us to the next level.
Originally posted by sspiker:
I think there's a good point to this thread. The Singletary -> Harbaugh transition was a lot easier than a lot of HC transitions, and the type of football that Harbaugh plays is the same type that Singletary tried to instill.

The problem, of course, was that Singletary's only strength as a coach was his intensity, and that offers diminishing returns. Harbaugh brought offensive competency and teamwide cohesion (including on the defense), along with the FO moves of Baalke, to take us to the next level.

I agree. I tell my wife all the time that I liked Singletary as a man and a leader but that he was simply lacking the education for the job. When he spoke men moved but he was outcoached consistently. Harbaugh is doing a lot of what Singletary wished he could do. Being an older guy, I can appreciate what he tried to do but he couldn't get it done with his lack of knowledge in coaching. I am thankful for the coach we have now
The guy provided us with I want winners for god's sake!!! Thing is he didn't win as much, but he sure kept us in the news
Patrick Willis in his latest presser mentioned Mike wanted him to take on 300lbs lineman straight on when Patrick was trying to go around the guy. That's all good for trying to get your guy to overachieve. His 'I did it, so you can do it too'. Not everyone plays like you Mike. But that type of MLB mentality just don't work as a HC. I suspect he applied that mentality to most aspect of football. That doesn't work with game planning and calling plays.

I don't even think Singletary is that good of a linebacker coach. Fangio .... that's was a motherfreak'n linebacker coach.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:04 AM ]
Is funny some of you guys want to dog sing out,
That year the team lost most of there games buy four points or less so he can't take all the blame
If the guys didn't produce