There are 179 users in the forums

A thought on Singletary and where we are...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jreff22:
As a linebacker coach (all he should ever be) he did a great job. He never gave Bowman the nod, that didn't happen until 2011. The drafting of Boone would not be a credit for Sing...he didn't do it.

This. Bowman getting the nod to start was more of a Baalke thing. Baalke and the Front Office decided not to bring back Spikes. I'm not sure who exactly was behind the idea of not bringing back Spikes (I was/am still a big fan of Spikes), but it was a risky move but it paid off. Someone obviously saw the talent in Bowman.
Originally posted by shawny:
dont want to see that guys name in ninertalk ever again

Why? Patrick Willis even brought up a teaching moment of Singletary telling him to just "run over" Larry Allen instead of trying to run around him. The guy did a lot for this team, and although he was a bad coach, there are plenty of starters on the current team who wouldn't be here today without him.
He damn near killed this team and treated Alex like a f**king neighborhood slam pig. I give him credit for getting Vernon's head out of his ass, that's about it.

What he did with Alex and his gameplans were messed up, thats true. Almost ruined Alex. You still can't take away all he did for Patrick Willis, VD, Alex Boone and Ahmad Brooks, let alone giving Bowman the start over Spikes and recognizing that. He was just out of his depth.

Give credit where credit is due.

As a linebacker coach (all he should ever be) he did a great job. He never gave Bowman the nod, that didn't happen until 2011. The drafting of Boone would not be a credit for Sing...he didn't do it.

Not the drafting of Boone, no one drafted Boone. What Singletary did to get him to start to realize his potential.

"He picked San Francisco because the offensive-line coach at the time, Chris Foerster, had lobbied to take Boone with the 49ers' final pick – they went with defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois instead – and because the head coach was Mike Singletary.Soon after Boone arrived in Santa Clara, Singletary pulled him aside, locked onto him with his owlish eyes and told him, "You're getting on the wagon or you're getting the hell out."

It was the kick Boone needed.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/17/4733711/fighting-to-play-sober-alex-boone.html#storylink=cpy"

Thats a great bedtime story but whose to say Boone wouldnt of got his s**t together on his own? He was a UDFA so it was a signing not a drafting.
Originally posted by ElDannMann:

This. Bowman getting the nod to start was more of a Baalke thing. Baalke and the Front Office decided not to bring back Spikes. I'm not sure who exactly was behind the idea of not bringing back Spikes (I was/am still a big fan of Spikes), but it was a risky move but it paid off. Someone obviously saw the talent in Bowman.

Am I taking crazy pills!??!

I remember Bowman taking over for Spikes a lot towards the end of Sings final season, so much that Spikes was getting pissed. I'm trying to find a link to back me up.

Why? Patrick Willis even brought up a teaching moment of Singletary telling him to just "run over" Larry Allen instead of trying to run around him. The guy did a lot for this team, and although he was a bad coach, there are plenty of starters on the current team who wouldn't be here today without him.
He damn near killed this team and treated Alex like a f**king neighborhood slam pig. I give him credit for getting Vernon's head out of his ass, that's about it.

What he did with Alex and his gameplans were messed up, thats true. Almost ruined Alex. You still can't take away all he did for Patrick Willis, VD, Alex Boone and Ahmad Brooks, let alone giving Bowman the start over Spikes and recognizing that. He was just out of his depth.

Not the drafting of Boone, no one drafted Boone. What Singletary did to get him to start to realize his potential.

"He picked San Francisco because the offensive-line coach at the time, Chris Foerster, had lobbied to take Boone with the 49ers' final pick – they went with defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois instead – and because the head coach was Mike Singletary.Soon after Boone arrived in Santa Clara, Singletary pulled him aside, locked onto him with his owlish eyes and told him, "You're getting on the wagon or you're getting the hell out."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/17/4733711/fighting-to-play-sober-alex-boone.html#storylink=cpy"

Thats a great bedtime story but whose to say Boone wouldnt of got his s**t together on his own? He was a UDFA so it was a signing not a drafting.

That's EXACTLY what I said, that he wasn't drafted. You were the one who said he was drafted. It wasn't that he was an UDFA it was widely documented by him and the media that Singletary got him to get his s**t together.

I remember Bowman taking over for Spikes a lot towards the end of Sings final season, so much that Spikes was getting pissed. I'm trying to find a link to back me up.

Bowman stepped in when Willis got hurt. After Sing for fired and we had some turnover Spikes was released and Bowman started......ending the Spikes playoff curse on us.

That's EXACTLY what I said, that he wasn't drafted. You were the one who said he was drafted. It wasn't that he was an UDFA it was widely documented by him and the media that Singletary got him to get his s**t together.

I was correcting my point. Not drafted but "targeted" by the staff. Chances are like with any addict, they fight the demons forever....Boone is most likely still battling with alcoholism in some fashion.

Bowman stepped in when Willis got hurt. After Sing for fired and we had some turnover Spikes was released and Bowman started......ending the Spikes playoff curse on us.

You thought we drafted Alex Boone and give no credit to Sing for helping to get his act together.

"Same goes for Bowman, who has been replacing Takeo Spikes on passing downs since Week 4. Spikes came off the field for six plays, but was replaced by a nickel corner and not Bowman, who has struggled as much as Mays in pass coverage."

Shows that Sing was trying to get him involved, the article also says he didn't play much that game at all:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/49ers-Taylor-Mays-NaVorro-Bowman-take-a-seat-3165157.php

I was correcting my point. Not drafted but "targeted" by the staff. Chances are like with any addict, they fight the demons forever....Boone is most likely still battling with alcoholism in some fashion.

I must need to start learning the trolls on the boards names.

Should of taught him some moves to get around the 350 pound man.
Sing initially got his guys to play their asses off each and every week, but his resonance with the players wore off over time. He couldn't handle the chess match with opposing coaches, and it caught up to him fast. With better coaching, we should have easily been a playoff team in '09 & '10. It all worked out for the best though. We have Harbaugh and are set to dominate the league for the next 10 years.

Both are played during the same era

Both played for the same team under the same HC

Both have gone their separate ways and only one can claim the prize.

There can be only one.
(Insert crazy photoshop highlander gif)

You thought we drafted Alex Boone and give no credit to Sing for helping to get his act together.

"Same goes for Bowman, who has been replacing Takeo Spikes on passing downs since Week 4. Spikes came off the field for six plays, but was replaced by a nickel corner and not Bowman, who has struggled as much as Mays in pass coverage."

Shows that Sing was trying to get him involved, the article also says he didn't play much that game at all:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/49ers-Taylor-Mays-NaVorro-Bowman-take-a-seat-3165157.php

Again I misspoke, I know he was an UDFA and was one of the biggest draft day offenisve fallers in quite some time. Just like Bruce Campbell, who everybody pegged the Raiders taking in the first while he fell much later.

I must need to start learning the trolls on the boards names.

Troll.....lol

Again I misspoke, I know he was an UDFA and was one of the biggest draft day offenisve fallers in quite some time. Just like Bruce Campbell, who everybody pegged the Raiders taking in the first while he fell much later.

It's all good, agree to disagree I'd say. In my opinion Sing has done a lot of great things that are well documented for certain players and probably aren't well documented for others, and also did awful things that are well documented (almost RUINING Alex Smith and having no concept of X and O's).
I really don't get why this is still being brought up. Mike Singletary was a terrible head coach.

I mean I could latch on and cherry pick positives out of past regimes as well.

Sing fixed VD, Nolan and Mcgloughlan drafted quite a few of our current core players etc. etc.

Fact of the matter is, none of them could get it done.

In comes Harbs and voila, instant contenders.

I guess I would just rather focus on our present and bright future than pontificate on past failures.
Share 49ersWebzone