There are 176 users in the forums

Best safety tandem in the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Id rather have Bowman

Agreed. I'd much rather lock up the front seven.
Ronnie Lott, who knows something about hard-hitting defensive backs, said the 49ers should wrap up Dashon Goldson and hold on tight. Goldson could become an unrestricted free agent after this season, a possibility that concerns the 49ers' Pro Football Hall of Famer. "I'm surprised that he doesn't have a long-term contract," Lott told this newspaper. "He's an asset that you don't want to get away because he does everything the right way. He has all the intangibles you want on your team." After this season, the 49ers could again slap the franchise tag on Goldson, this time for 120 percent of his 2012 salary. That would translate to a one-year, $7.45 million deal. If the 49ers decide not to use the tag, the FS would be eligible for UFA. Lott is crossing his fingers that -- this time -- the rangy free safety decides just to stay put.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_21594576/dashon-goldsons-biggest-fan-49ers-great-ronnie-lott
I've liked Goldson since we drafted him. I agree with Lott and they should pay him. We can find a replacement for Bowman easier than finding a safety to sure up the secondary. Remember who we had back there prior to Goldson? We had guys like mark roman, Pierson Preilou, mike Adams, etc. I really hope they find a way to keep him.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Ronnie Lott, who knows something about hard-hitting defensive backs, said the 49ers should wrap up Dashon Goldson and hold on tight. Goldson could become an unrestricted free agent after this season, a possibility that concerns the 49ers' Pro Football Hall of Famer. "I'm surprised that he doesn't have a long-term contract," Lott told this newspaper. "He's an asset that you don't want to get away because he does everything the right way. He has all the intangibles you want on your team." After this season, the 49ers could again slap the franchise tag on Goldson, this time for 120 percent of his 2012 salary. That would translate to a one-year, $7.45 million deal. If the 49ers decide not to use the tag, the FS would be eligible for UFA. Lott is crossing his fingers that -- this time -- the rangy free safety decides just to stay put.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_21594576/dashon-goldsons-biggest-fan-49ers-great-ronnie-lott

Ronnie Lott loves 49ers' Taylor Mays pick Posted by Daniel Brown on April 23rd, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

# # 6:21 update: The 49ers traded third-round picks with the Chargers, sending the No. 79 overall choice to San Diego for the No. 91 pick, their sixth-round pick (No. 173) and a 2011 fourth-round pick. ###

The 49ers' decision to draft Taylor Mays on Friday got a big thumbs up from another former USC safety.

"Fantastic,'' Ronnie Lott said.

The 49ers nabbed Mays in the second round, the No. 49 overall choice. Mays played free safety for the Trojans but projects as a strong safety in the NFL.

Lott, the Hall of Famer and USC grad, said he has been texting Mays all week. He was thrilled to learn that his friend will be following in his 49ers footsteps.

"I look forward to seeing him become an All-Pro,'' Lott told The Mercury News.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2010/04/23/ronnie-lott-loves-49ers-taylor-mays-pick/

If Lott says it, it must be true...
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 21, 2012 at 8:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Quote:

Ronnie Lott loves 49ers' Taylor Mays pick Posted by Daniel Brown on April 23rd, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Categorized as Uncategorized

# # 6:21 update: The 49ers traded third-round picks with the Chargers, sending the No. 79 overall choice to San Diego for the No. 91 pick, their sixth-round pick (No. 173) and a 2011 fourth-round pick. ###

The 49ers' decision to draft Taylor Mays on Friday got a big thumbs up from another former USC safety.

"Fantastic,'' Ronnie Lott said.

The 49ers nabbed Mays in the second round, the No. 49 overall choice. Mays played free safety for the Trojans but projects as a strong safety in the NFL.

Lott, the Hall of Famer and USC grad, said he has been texting Mays all week. He was thrilled to learn that his friend will be following in his 49ers footsteps.

"I look forward to seeing him become an All-Pro,'' Lott told The Mercury News.
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2010/04/23/ronnie-lott-loves-49ers-taylor-mays-pick/

If Lott says it, it must be true...

Ouch
And the winner by first round knockout, Oakland-Niner.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

WAIT HOLD UP ...

There's a difference between what Ronnie said about Goldson and Mays. One guy in Goldson where Ronnie played the postion and sees some of the really good plays from Goldson. It's evident. While the other guy in Mays, Ronnie was more likely projecting the potential into the NFL field. He's right on Goldson, he's wrong on Mays. Ronnie knows safety play and recognized it in Goldson. Ronnie just doesn't know draft picks.

Being wrong on Mays does not correlate to being wrong on Goldson.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 22, 2012 at 7:11 AM ]
Ronnie knows USC!
lol @ the squirrel

but if its between keeping Goldson and extending Bowman we must choose to extend Bowman. We can't afford to keep all these players on defense. We can easily draft a FS in rounds 1-3 of the upcoming draft. We need to keep our front 7 in tact
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Ronnie knows USC!

This. The homer.

Originally posted by verb1der:
lol @ the squirrel

And this. Lulz
I would have to say that resigning Goldson and moving Grant over to replace Bowman would be LESS damaging and less of an gamble than resigning Bowman and trying to find a replacement for Goldson. It would just be a lot easier to replace Bowman with Grant than replacing Goldson with a HUGE question mark...
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Most of the sacks accumulated are due to coverage.

Yes they are but Pat and Bow are a huge reason for that. Look at the DET game. Goldson and Whitner were free to roam up top because Pat and Bow had the middle locked down all game. Pressure was generated by the front four for most of the game. IMO, Pat and Bow just give the team so much more freedom to do so many different things out on the field because of their speed and intelligence, nevermind that they are strong as hell. We couldn't do then what we do now with Takeo in the middle, but we still had Goldson then.

It's a no brainer to me who the team should keep and I love watching Goldson play. But Bow is a much more important part of this team.
Oh yea, and Pat and Bow sounds too cool. I mean, Don and Dash doesn't sound as lethal to me.

Share 49ersWebzone