There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Best safety tandem in the NFL?

Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We should tag him and grab a replacement just in case it doesn't work out. Goldson was responsible for ony one serious breakdown I have noticed so far, in the GB game he came up to cover Cobb vacating his spot in the zone where Brown caught the TD, other than that I think he has been solid. I like the guy and hope when it comes down to it he chooses team over an extra million.

Yep, there was confusion on that one but yeah that might be it so far.
Originally posted by BayArea:
We wouldn't even need to look for a replacement ILB we have Larry Grant who is starter material.

If we tag Bowman for 2 years plus we have him another season after this one that's 5 years before Grant would start. Don't think he would be around but I will say finding an ILB in the draft is much easier than FS. ILB are one of the more sure positions in the draft although there is no such thing as a lock. I would say Bowman is probably the better player though.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by BayArea:
We wouldn't even need to look for a replacement ILB we have Larry Grant who is starter material.

If we tag Bowman for 2 years plus we have him another season after this one that's 5 years before Grant would start. Don't think he would be around but I will say finding an ILB in the draft is much easier than FS. ILB are one of the more sure positions in the draft although there is no such thing as a lock. I would say Bowman is probably the better player though.

Safety and LB are actually (statistically) the two easiest positions to hit on in the draft, at least in the first round. There have been several analyses that show this, but here's a quick metric for it:

Over the past 10 years:
9/16 safeties taken in the 1st round have made at least one pro bowl (56%).
13/32 1st round linebackers have made one pro bowl (41%).

Those positional percentages are the best - except for interior linemen, but those are skewed because so few guards/centers are first rounders (only 7 in the past 10 years).
If it came down to choosing Bowmen or Goldston....I'm taking Bowmen. I would go into next years draft in search of a safety. Our front 7 is rare and I want them to stay together as long as possible.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
If it came down to choosing Bowmen or Goldston....I'm taking Bowmen. I would go into next years draft in search of a safety. Our front 7 is rare and I want them to stay together as long as possible.

Bowman is the best ILB in the league while Dashon is perhaps a top 5 safety.


Plus Bowman is younger and has less mileage. I would choose Bowman.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Bowman is the best ILB in the league while Dashon is perhaps a top 5 safety.


Plus Bowman is younger and has less mileage. I would choose Bowman.

plus, Goldson has his off years....seems to only be motivated with money. (contract years)

Bowman has two more years left and he's balling out. I do not question bowman's motivation at all.
Dashon Goldson has played hard every snap he's been on the field so it seems pretty stupid to think he's the kind of guy who would quit working once he gets paid. Also, an alarming amount of people like seattle's safeties over ours. Goldson and Whitner are not only great but they fit perfectly into our scheme.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Either way though I just think we won't know how much Goldson means until we try to replace him. It's not easy replacing one of the better FS in the league. Also, not every safety will go stick his head in and make tackles either. He adds a lot of intimidation with this defense and it's hard hitting.

I definitely can agree with all of this.

I would at least tag Goldson and get 1 more year out of him if we can't resign him. We can work some money around by restructuring/cutting guys/extending guys.

If we can open up the money, and he has a great year, sure we need to consider this.

Also, if we can always tag bowman twice to keep him for 3 seasons after this. He is signed for this year and next. Then we could tag him twice. I'd prefer to hang onto both but it would be tough. If tagging them is what we have to do I do it.

I hope Bowman stays content through next year and wants badly to remain a 49er. Gotta figure at some point, he has to be pushing for big $ soon though.


Just wanted to mention that while I do feel Goldson has played well this year, PFF gave Goldson a pretty bad coverage rating in week 1 but a good one in week 2. I can only judge him for what the TV screen allows me to see.. so I don't know exactly how fair that rating is.. but it's at least something to note.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Seattle has a pretty strong case

This. Let's not be totally biased now

Yeahh, Seattle was the first team I thought of. Eric Berry and Lewis arnt too bad over in KC either.
Just heard KNBR broadcast interview with Fangio....

He doesn't differentiate between importance of ILB & Safety but mentions you can't be a top defense without good safeties.

I agree Bowman probably wins the war vs. Goldson, but we'd like to do our best to keep top notch everywhere.
Would you consider Goldson a fast free safety? It seems to me like he's always flying around out there. His combine 40 yard dash was like 4.6 and his pro day was 4.53.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Would you consider Goldson a fast free safety? It seems to me like he's always flying around out there. His combine 40 yard dash was like 4.6 and his pro day was 4.53.

He's always had great range and closing speed. I'm not sure if that's a one to one translation to being track fast however.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We should tag him and grab a replacement just in case it doesn't work out. Goldson was responsible for ony one serious breakdown I have noticed so far, in the GB game he came up to cover Cobb vacating his spot in the zone where Brown caught the TD, other than that I think he has been solid. I like the guy and hope when it comes down to it he chooses team over an extra million.

Yep, there was confusion on that one but yeah that might be it so far.

After watching the all 22 film I'm almost certain that was Parish Cox responsibility.
Goldson has good build-up range.. pretty fast, but not especially agile with footwork ( plant and go or change of direction ).
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
This is the problem. It must be decided who is more valuable and worth the contract... Bowman or Goldson for example.
Tough decisions are going to have to be made. Losing some of our players is really going to suck, but we can't afford to pay everybody what they deserve.
In my opinion, it would be easier to find a safety with similar (although raw) skills as Goldson than a ILB like Bowman.

I've been thinking about this the last couple of nights...(seriously, what a loser). Anyway, saftey's are a huge deal in this pass oriented league. And although Bowman did well in the GB game in the dime package, so did Willis (however they didn't throw at him). We always had a good run D, so no matter who goes I dont see a huge fall off there. Also, I dont know how big of a difference there is between talented LBs. So in some ways I feel like inside LBs are much easer to replace without much drop off. Plus, isn't the saftey, Goldson specifically, the QB of Defense? He's the guy that calls all our plays or makes adjusments. It just seems like Saftey is a much harder position to replace because its so mental as well as physical. Plus, as we saw in the GB game we cant have two great lbs on the field when teams go to a 4wr set.
Anyway, I know it sounds like I'm pro-Goldson, but I haven't made up my mind yet.