LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

Best safety tandem in the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Do-the-49ers-have-the-top-safety-combo-in-the-NFL.html

Can't say I disagree. Thoughts? If Goldson continues his ascension he might grab the torch from reed and Troy P as best safety in NFL.
Better believe it. One could easily make a case for the boys up in Seattle but we're right there with them. So sick of reading how easily we could replace Goldson with a rookie or how we don't have to pay him cuz he's not an elite player. BULL! He's been borderline dominant this season and only seems to get better. Pay the man this offseason please!!!
Yup. And the same one's who were dumping on Smith because THEY KNOW EVERYTHING were dumping on Goldson. I hate sitting next to people like that at our games because you feel like your next to fans from the other team. WHO KNOW EVERYTHING.
Yea gotta admit Goldson is playing lights out. I think we want the guy perfect but that's just not gonna be the case. Right now he's balling, and he's gonna be out of here. Can't pay everybody. But it's good to keep a guy you drafted late and worked his way up to become a starter.
[ Edited by lamontb on Sep 19, 2012 at 7:21 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea gotta admit Goldson is playing lights out. I think we want the guy perfect but that's just not gonna be the case. Right now he's balling, and he's gonna be out of here. Can't pay everybody.

This is the problem. It must be decided who is more valuable and worth the contract... Bowman or Goldson for example.
Tough decisions are going to have to be made. Losing some of our players is really going to suck, but we can't afford to pay everybody what they deserve.
In my opinion, it would be easier to find a safety with similar (although raw) skills as Goldson than a ILB like Bowman.
Goldson is improving from last year. A couple of those tackles he made coming from about 15yds away from the left side on the runner in the Lions game he missed in the Seattle game late last year. Recognizing the play and making the sure tackle. Good stuff Top 5 safety tandem...
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 19, 2012 at 7:34 AM ]
Goldson has been impressive.
Seattle has a pretty strong case
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
This is the problem. It must be decided who is more valuable and worth the contract... Bowman or Goldson for example.
Tough decisions are going to have to be made. Losing some of our players is really going to suck, but we can't afford to pay everybody what they deserve.
In my opinion, it would be easier to find a safety with similar (although raw) skills as Goldson than a ILB like Bowman.

Gonna be interesting to see how this shapes out. Hopefully the cap increases enough over the next 2 years that allows them to keep both guys. I'm not sure which is easier to find these days.

Yea it does suck but it also implies that the coaching staff are selecting the right guys in later rounds and they are being coached up. So that gives you hope that they can find suitable replacements in free agency/draft . It's been so long since other teams started cherry picking off our players. I think the offense not being in so explosive and Fangio's age will keep the caching staff intact a bit longer.

I totally disagree. Bowman is a luxury considering we have Patrick Willis Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith locked up. I know they are totally different positions but I'd much rather be looking for a second ILB than trying to find an elite safety. If one of your LB's gets burned you have the safety on the back end to make a play. If you get burned on the back end its play/game over. Do people not remember how long it took for Goldson to develop and how many piss poor safeties we went through before him? Last line of defense is much more important than the TED backer IMO. Bowman is better suited for MIKE backer position anyway. I know the 49ers are a bit different than the norm as far as how they use their backers but I still think it would be easier to find a veteran LB or draft a LB for that spot than it would be to try and wait on an elite safety. We'll never be picking hight enough in the draft to get one anyway.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
IDK why Goldson is so underrated on this board. Top 2-3 safety in the league.
I dont like Goldson for some reason, I just think once he gets paid his play is gonna fall off big time
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
I dont like Goldson for some reason, I just think once he gets paid his play is gonna fall off big time

you could say he should be doing that this year since he has no safety net contract, why would he put his body on the line? But he is. He's out there smackin heads with no regard for his health.
Originally posted by NinerG94:

I totally disagree. Bowman is a luxury considering we have Patrick Willis Ahmad Brooks and Aldon Smith locked up. I know they are totally different positions but I'd much rather be looking for a second ILB than trying to find an elite safety. If one of your LB's gets burned you have the safety on the back end to make a play. If you get burned on the back end its play/game over. Do people not remember how long it took for Goldson to develop and how many piss poor safeties we went through before him? Last line of defense is much more important than the TED backer IMO. Bowman is better suited for MIKE backer position anyway. I know the 49ers are a bit different than the norm as far as how they use their backers but I still think it would be easier to find a veteran LB or draft a LB for that spot than it would be to try and wait on an elite safety. We'll never be picking hight enough in the draft to get one anyway.

You have a fair point. I believe we have the luxury of keeping the safeties back due to the abilities of our ILBs in covering the middle. The Front 7 being as they are allow the secondary more freedom. It is a balance within the scheme, we really are fortunate. The front 7 makes QBs uncomfortable and prone to errors, and the secondary can give the front 7 more time to get to the QB. Losing either player is going to hurt. I just see Bowman as the superior player in our scheme. Not meaning to discount Goldson, he really is growing into an excellent player.

I guess my point is, I value the front of the defense more than the secondary. Both are very important, but I think the front can keep the secondary from being exposed more often. Losing a good player form either will still suck. I do not envy Baalke being the decision maker.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

you could say he should be doing that this year since he has no safety net contract, why would he put his body on the line? But he is. He's out there smackin heads with no regard for his health.
Never heard of guys taking it easy in contract years. I aint buying that. I hope im wrong but once he gets paid I think he is gonna go back to sucking
Share 49ersWebzone