• Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
going after Manning or even talking to him was a really dumb move

Huh?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think its a bit silly that your being critical of people being critical.

Why?

What's a matter, fans can't have an opinion that differs from the GM or coach?? Are fans automatically wrong in their opinions or ideas??

Huh?

?

creating that media mess on an over the hill half broken expensive QB was stupid

Huh?

?

creating that media mess on an over the hill half broken expensive QB was stupid

I agree, although I understand why they did it. Manning has always been an excellent QB. I just thought it undermined some of what they had built with Smith last season. It all worked out, though.

Wait... this is a Haggans thread... uhh. I hope Bakhtiari (sp?) gets a shot to play some, and Haggans becomes expendable. Nothing against Haggans at all. Bakhtiari is just sorta like a Rudy-type character. Easy to pull for him, and hope he makes it. Unlikely though.

Huh?

?

What source gives you the information that it was the Niners who initiated the contact, and not P. Manning or his agent, who were obviously looking for a way to enlarge the market for his services?

What makes you think it would be smart to ignore even a slight possibility that a HOF QB might be interested in playing for a team that is gearing up for a SB run?

It appears that you are ignoring some of the unpublished possibilities of what actually occurred, and are buying the anti-Niner innuendo that's put out there by some self-appointed "experts."

You really think it wasn't Manning's agent that was behind the whole Manning thing? If you were Manning's agent, wouldn't you try to increase the number of teams that might be interested in him so as to drive up his asking price?

And you think the Niners should have ignored him, told him to go pound sand?

I like Alex Smith and totally support him as QB, but given Manning's track record, it would be hard to ignore the possibility that he was interested in playing for the Niners.

How much of the "media mess" was created by the East Coast biased media and local anti-Niners media?

If you're sold on all that, I've got some really nice swamp land you might be interested in.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Huh?

?

What source gives you the information that it was the Niners who initiated the contact, and not P. Manning or his agent, who were obviously looking for a way to enlarge the market for his services?

What makes you think it would be smart to ignore even a slight possibility that a HOF QB might be interested in playing for a team that is gearing up for a SB run?

It appears that you are ignoring some of the unpublished possibilities of what actually occurred, and are buying the anti-Niner innuendo that's put out there by some self-appointed "experts."

You really think it wasn't Manning's agent that was behind the whole Manning thing? If you were Manning's agent, wouldn't you try to increase the number of teams that might be interested in him so as to drive up his asking price?

I like Alex Smith and totally support him as QB, but given Manning's track record, it would be hard to ignore the possibility that he was interested in playing for the Niners.

How much of the "media mess" was created by the East Coast biased media and local anti-Niners media?

If you're sold on all that, I've got some really nice swamp land you might be interested in.

This should probably be taken to that Smith vs Manning - Better Fit thread.

Huh?

?

The FO went out and had a meeting with Manning....obviously they had interest. Would you take a plane trip to go see something you weren't interested in?

Manning is/was coming off a major injury, HOF or not it would be risky having him given the OL propensity to give up sacks.

Manning's agent should've called 15 teams if it was really about increasing his value....because it was only a small group I don't think it was agent driven....people know Manning, he doesn't need advertising.

Yes, we should've ignored him, what we did with Alex and his turnaround was enough to give him another year.

The East coast media bias excuse holds no water. This wasn't a "plan" by ESPN or NFLN to be anti 9er....we were a great story last year that people loved.

Huh?

?

The FO went out and had a meeting with Manning....obviously they had interest. Would you take a plane trip to go see something you weren't interested in?

Manning is/was coming off a major injury, HOF or not it would be risky having him given the OL propensity to give up sacks.

Manning's agent should've called 15 teams if it was really about increasing his value....because it was only a small group I don't think it was agent driven....people know Manning, he doesn't need advertising.

Yes, we should've ignored him, what we did with Alex and his turnaround was enough to give him another year.

The East coast media bias excuse holds no water. This wasn't a "plan" by ESPN or NFLN to be anti 9er....we were a great story last year that people loved.
Harbaugh went to watch the guy workout, to see if he was over his injury. We know nothing about any phone calls that were exchanged, but its difficult to believe that Harbaugh snuck up on Manning to watch him, without first being invited--by Manning and/or his agent--and told when and where the workout would be.

We also have no idea how many other teams Manning's agent contacted. Or do you? If you do, please feel free to share.

It seems reasonable that Manning and his agent were the ones who "created" the incident. They had the most likely motive for doing so: to create competition for Manning's services and thus drive up his asking price.

Once it became clear that Manning was as interested in a big payday as he was in winning another superbowl (that his asking price was too high), the Niner's interest evaporated. The NFL, its a business.

Right, there's no East Coast bias at all. That Tebow is so great he's impossible not to talk about 24/7, and those Jets/Giants/Cowboys/Patriots deserve 100% of the time that they get--all the time!

An that Jamie Dukes guy apparently is the one you're talking about: he absolutely LOVES Alex Smith and the Niners!!

Usually $1,000 per acre, but for you we'll drop the price to $99 per acre. Say the word an its all yers. Cash only, tho. Given all the "water" you mention, we'll throw in the Brooklyn Bridge too, for just a little more cash. Such a deal!
They will never let that go that they "flirted" with Manning. They try to spin it like the 49ers went out of their way begging him to play for us and he turned us down. As far as I know the team never gave Manning an official offer at all. Meaning they didn't want him or they would have made an offer. They evaluated him obviously didn't like what they saw and passed. Apparently that is the same thing as offering him a contract .

Oh well that whole mess is cake compared to some of the stuff Alex has dealt with in the past.

Huh?

?

Yeah it really effed up our season. They were exercising due diligence, and rightly so. Harbaugh was more right about what went on (evaluation vs. pursuit) than anyone in the snarky media will ever be willing to admit.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Sep 21, 2012 at 1:04 PM ]

Huh?

?

Harbaugh went to watch the guy workout, to see if he was over his injury. We know nothing about any phone calls that were exchanged, but its difficult to believe that Harbaugh snuck up on Manning to watch him, without first being invited--by Manning and/or his agent--and told when and where the workout would be.

We also have no idea how many other teams Manning's agent contacted. Or do you? If you do, please feel free to share.

It seems reasonable that Manning and his agent were the ones who "created" the incident. They had the most likely motive for doing so: to create competition for Manning's services and thus drive up his asking price.

Once it became clear that Manning was as interested in a big payday as he was in winning another superbowl (that his asking price was too high), the Niner's interest evaporated. The NFL, its a business.

Right, there's no East Coast bias at all. That Tebow is so great he's impossible not to talk about 24/7, and those Jets/Giants/Cowboys/Patriots deserve 100% of the time that they get--all the time!

An that Jamie Dukes guy apparently is the one you're talking about: he absolutely LOVES Alex Smith and the Niners!!

Usually $1,000 per acre, but for you we'll drop the price to $99 per acre. Say the word an its all yers. Cash only, tho. Given all the "water" you mention, we'll throw in the Brooklyn Bridge too, for just a little more cash. Such a deal!

Even if the agent called the FO still had to agree to fly out and see him practice. There obviously was interest far beyond seeing if he "was just over his injury"

Do you have proof if was his agent? How often do we hear about coaches flying out to see players once FA starts....um all the time.

Manning was going to get competition for his services and a big payday regardless....its Peyton Manning...not Shaun Hill.

Who has won the most Superbowls the past few years...the Pats and Giants. Texas is not on the East Coast. Ryan is a media diva and Tebow is the most polarizing player in the NFL. Tebow was talked about last year more then this year....do you consider Denver on the East coast as well?

Jamie Dukes.....so you find one guy who hates on the 9ers and now its all the media..seriously?

We have been on ESPN and NFLN all year so far....still biased?
Even if the agent called the FO still had to agree to fly out and see him practice. There obviously was interest far beyond seeing if he "was just over his injury"

Do you have proof if was his agent? How often do we hear about coaches flying out to see players once FA starts....um all the time.

Manning was going to get competition for his services and a big payday regardless....its Peyton Manning...not Shaun Hill.

Who has won the most Superbowls the past few years...the Pats and Giants. Texas is not on the East Coast. Ryan is a media diva and Tebow is the most polarizing player in the NFL. Tebow was talked about last year more then this year....do you consider Denver on the East coast as well?

Jamie Dukes.....so you find one guy who hates on the 9ers and now its all the media..seriously?

We have been on ESPN and NFLN all year so far....still biased?
Sure there was more interest than in whether he was over his injury, but that doesn't answer the question about who initiated the contact.

The point I've been trying to make is that NO ONE (except the Niners and Manning's agent) has any "proof" of what went on, but that also means there's NO PROOF that the Niners initiated the contact and went mindlessly chasing after Manning, as you seem to believe.

Its just more likely, more reasonable to believe, that Manning's agent intiated the contact as a way to create some competition for his client's services.

Looks like you've already made up your mind, and nothing is gonna change it.

I just had a few questions.

That's okay. You've got every right to your opinion, as well as the right to express it freely.

Equally, if you don't see any East Coast bias, so be it.

Don't let me disturb your bliss.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Huh?

?

Yeah it really effed up our season. They were exercising due diligence, and rightly so. Harbaugh was more right about what went on (evaluation vs. pursuit) than anyone in the snarky media will ever be willing to admit.
Well stated, Sonoco. This is what I was trying to say, but you say it much better, and more concisely.
Originally posted by BayArea:
They will never let that go that they "flirted" with Manning. They try to spin it like the 49ers went out of their way begging him to play for us and he turned us down. As far as I know the team never gave Manning an official offer at all. Meaning they didn't want him or they would have made an offer. They evaluated him obviously didn't like what they saw and passed. Apparently that is the same thing as offering him a contract .

Oh well that whole mess is cake compared to some of the stuff Alex has dealt with in the past.
Didn't the Niners have Kurt Warner in for a visit a year or two before?

They didn't even do that with Manning, yet its all blown out of proportion by some--as a means of criticizing both Alex Smith and the Niners at the same time.

Over nothing.
Originally posted by BayArea:

Didn't the Niners have Kurt Warner in for a visit a year or two before?

They didn't even do that with Manning, yet its all blown out of proportion by some--as a means of criticizing both Alex Smith and the Niners at the same time.

Over nothing.

who is criticizing Smith?

going after Manning or even talking to him was a really dumb move.....my original statement shows the opposite of criticizing Smith