LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

Haggans Suspended For 3 Games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
who is criticizing Smith?

going after Manning or even talking to him was a really dumb move.....my original statement shows the opposite of criticizing Smith

He wasn't talking about you. Others have used it to criticize Smith, though.

I see your point and I can't argue it because none of us knows the full truth of the matter. I just disagree is all.

Anyway, let's get back to Haggans. I don't think it was a bad move because he'll be back in three games and we signed another OLB already who can replace him in the meantime.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I think its a bit silly that your being critical of people being critical.

Why?

What's a matter, fans can't have an opinion that differs from the GM or coach?? Are fans automatically wrong in their opinions or ideas??

Oh, I see what you meant now.

No, it's not like that at all. I can understand being critical of certain moves. I just don't think this is a move worth criticizing.

Back-up player who has already been replaced by another back-up. It's a non-story to me.

I think my real problem with all the criticism is people assuming that Baalke didn't plan for this.

I was only teasing you anyway, Bro. You have a right to your opinion.

Hell, I wanted Jed to hire an experienced NFL front office guy in an advisory position because Baalke had never been a GM. I think I was wrong about that now.
I think its a bit silly that your being critical of people being critical.

Why?

What's a matter, fans can't have an opinion that differs from the GM or coach?? Are fans automatically wrong in their opinions or ideas??

Oh, I see what you meant now.

No, it's not like that at all. I can understand being critical of certain moves. I just don't think this is a move worth criticizing.

Back-up player who has already been replaced by another back-up. It's a non-story to me.

I think my real problem with all the criticism is people assuming that Baalke didn't plan for this.

I was only teasing you anyway, Bro. You have a right to your opinion.

Hell, I wanted Jed to hire an experienced NFL front office guy in an advisory position because Baalke had never been a GM. I think I was wrong about that now.
I've got no problem with people criticizing or questioning Baalke over actual mistakes, things based on reality.

Its the stuff based on innuendo, rumor, speculation that should, in turn, be questioned. IMHO.

Why Baalke didn't keep Bahktiari in the first place is unknown. Maybe they didn't think he quite measured up and wasn't gonna improve any further.

One thing for sure: they more know about the situation that we do.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by BayArea:
They will never let that go that they "flirted" with Manning. They try to spin it like the 49ers went out of their way begging him to play for us and he turned us down. As far as I know the team never gave Manning an official offer at all. Meaning they didn't want him or they would have made an offer. They evaluated him obviously didn't like what they saw and passed. Apparently that is the same thing as offering him a contract .

Oh well that whole mess is cake compared to some of the stuff Alex has dealt with in the past.
Didn't the Niners have Kurt Warner in for a visit a year or two before?

They didn't even do that with Manning, yet its all blown out of proportion by some--as a means of criticizing both Alex Smith and the Niners at the same time.

Over nothing.

going after Manning or even talking to him was a really dumb move.....my original statement shows the opposite of criticizing Smith
So you don't see that some who have criticized the Manning episode are, at the same time, using it to take a backhanded swipe at Smith?

Let me paraphrase it: "Those Niners showed what they really tho't of Alex Smith when they pursued the injured, over the hill Peyton Manning to take his place. Baalke was dumb to make that huge offer to Manning, and now we know they think what we do, that Alex is really no good."

If that's what they were saying, you wouldn't really agree with it, would you?

How could it be considered "dumb" to just talk with Manning or his agent if they were the ones who initiated the contact? (A possibility that cannot be ruled out.)

What if the agent called and said, "Hey, Peyton thinks you guys are gonna win the SB, and he really wants to be a part of that.He wants to win another SB more than anything. He'll play for you guys for a really low amount."

Would they be dumb to talk with the agent about that?
They will never let that go that they "flirted" with Manning. They try to spin it like the 49ers went out of their way begging him to play for us and he turned us down. As far as I know the team never gave Manning an official offer at all. Meaning they didn't want him or they would have made an offer. They evaluated him obviously didn't like what they saw and passed. Apparently that is the same thing as offering him a contract .

Oh well that whole mess is cake compared to some of the stuff Alex has dealt with in the past.

They didn't even do that with Manning, yet its all blown out of proportion by some--as a means of criticizing both Alex Smith and the Niners at the same time.

Over nothing.

So you don't see that some who have criticized the Manning episode are, at the same time, using it to take a backhanded swipe at Smith?

Let me paraphrase it: "Those Niners showed what they really tho't of Alex Smith when they pursued the injured, over the hill Peyton Manning to take his place. Baalke was dumb to make that huge offer to Manning, and now we know they think what we do, that Alex is really no good."

How could it be considered "dumb" to just talk with Manning or his agent if they were the ones who initiated the contact? (A possibility that cannot be ruled out.)

What if the agent called and said, "Hey, Peyton thinks you guys are gonna win the SB, and he really wants to be a part of that.He wants to win another SB more than anything. He'll play for you guys for a really low amount."

I would've picked up the phone and said sorry we have our starting QB, then hung up!

Alex did more then enough to be given the keys to the car again and risking him over a "look and see" by the FO was stupid. Say Miami offered Smith a great deal and he took it, do we really think Kapp would be playing just as good? I love Kap and was one of the first zoners to want us to draft him but he's not ready....and the other classic idea was to have JJ start..

Alex was and is our guy...you back your starting QB and dont even hint at the idea of creating a media controversy.

Over nothing.

I would've picked up the phone and said sorry we have our starting QB, then hung up!

Alex did more then enough to be given the keys to the car again and risking him over a "look and see" by the FO was stupid. Say Miami offered Smith a great deal and he took it, do we really think Kapp would be playing just as good? I love Kap and was one of the first zoners to want us to draft him but he's not ready....and the other classic idea was to have JJ start..

Alex was and is our guy...you back your starting QB and dont even hint at the idea of creating a media controversy.
So your vast experience in business and immeasurable football acumen would have made you rudely dismiss even an inquiry by the agent of an available QB who may well end up in the HOF someday?

Okay. Your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

Glad you're not running the Niners, tho.

And altho you might have chosen a different way of doing things, how is it fair to be sarcastically mocking of Baalke for doing whatever was actually done based on the extremely limited amount of factual information that's available?

Keeping an open mind is more likely to lead to the eventual discovery of the truth than pre-judging things, then deciding what happened. IMHO.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Sep 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM ]

Over nothing.

So your vast experience in business and immeasurable football acumen would have made you rudely dismiss even an inquiry by the agent of an available QB who may well end up in the HOF someday?

And altho you might have chosen a different way of doing things, how is it fair to be sarcastically mocking of Baalke for doing whatever was actually done based on the extremely limited amount of factual information that's available?

Keeping an open mind is more likely to lead to the eventual discovery of the truth than pre-judging things, then deciding what happened. IMHO.

I would dismiss an inquiry for a 36 year old, still not 100% qb who would be playing in a new system...something he hasn't really had to do for around 14 years. I have enough knowledge to know you dont walk away from whats working, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

And guess what....my response would be correct because we are doing better with Alex and Alex is playing at a higher level.

Just like all the people who wanted Manning, JTO, Hill, Troy, Kolb, Flynn, JJ, Vick and any other guy they thought would be better and hasn't been. I can point and laugh at all of those people and say I have been supporting Smith during the bad years and now in the good years.

Maybe you should take your own advice and keep an open mind about Trent not being right all the time...he's human and will make mistakes. Pointing one, two, or five of them out is do different then anything else we have all done going back many years and many GM's ago.
Bahktiari will impress in these next 3 games so much that Haggans wont ever touch the field as a niner
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Bahktiari will impress in these next 3 games so much that Haggans wont ever touch the field as a niner

i am glad he is here for special teams. I hope he gives us a shot cuz we sure as hell need one on kickoff coverage
Originally posted by cciowa:

i am glad he is here for special teams. I hope he gives us a shot cuz we sure as hell need one on kickoff coverage

Yup. Missing Costanzo

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ajanke:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Yup. Missing Costanzo
cut dixon and sign rock cartwright. at least rock can play special teams. if dixon is going to play poor and slow on special teams and never carry the ball on offense what the hell good is he?

Over nothing.

I would dismiss an inquiry for a 36 year old, still not 100% qb who would be playing in a new system...something he hasn't really had to do for around 14 years. I have enough knowledge to know you dont walk away from whats working, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

And guess what....my response would be correct because we are doing better with Alex and Alex is playing at a higher level.

Just like all the people who wanted Manning, JTO, Hill, Troy, Kolb, Flynn, JJ, Vick and any other guy they thought would be better and hasn't been. I can point and laugh at all of those people and say I have been supporting Smith during the bad years and now in the good years.

Maybe you should take your own advice and keep an open mind about Trent not being right all the time...he's human and will make mistakes. Pointing one, two, or five of them out is do different then anything else we have all done going back many years and many GM's ago.
I do have an open mind about "Trent" not being right all the time, being human and making mistakes. I can think of several he's made.

But I'm also gonna keep an open mind about him being right some of the time, and not jump ugly on him without some actual proof, not just the BS spewed by certain "experts.

And nothing I said was intended as advice, just an observation, hence the "In My Humble Opinion" at the end.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Sep 24, 2012 at 7:44 AM ]
Last week being suspended....

Last week being suspended....

Championship!
Every thread is an Alex thread.
Share 49ersWebzone