There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

OL Analysis 1st Down Production (Running Log)

Originally posted by NCommand:
You don't think beat writers read our posts to get a pulse on fan interests and perspectives and for insight/ideas?

"First down seems to be the real key for San Francisco. On the down, the 49ers have gained four-or-more yards on 132 of 229 first-down plays (57.6 percent), ranking first in the NFL. It's noticeable to the players, too. "We always talking about trying to get in manageable third downs and I think we've done a good job of getting positive plays on those first and second downs to get in manageable situations," fullback Bruce Miller said.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Offense-Continues-to-Improve/c5b9f75c-0d15-48ea-87a0-31537f1cefbb

Could be a coincidence but who cares...glad people are finally getting it!

My numbers are slightly different @ overall, for the season, 129 out of 214 = 60% which is fantastic! Our low points have been against the Lions, Hawks and Cards (last two games).

Good stuff, NC.

Forgot to mention my AZ play by play is complete on offense, but still have the 4th quarter defense to finish. I think you know where to find it by now.. but just ask if not, and you want to know.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Good stuff, NC.

Forgot to mention my AZ play by play is complete on offense, but still have the 4th quarter defense to finish. I think you know where to find it by now.. but just ask if not, and you want to know.

Got it brother...added to the front page as a reference for all! Love reading your write-up! Thank you...
Rams game up.

For as much as our OL got pwned by the Ram's DL in pass protection and the fact that we ended up playing Kaep most of the game (4 quarters worth), I was very surprised how successful we were on first down production. We got 2 of our 3 TD's again on this down. Have a look....front page.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM ]
You don't think 1st down production is critical (esp. 4+ yards)? In OT, after the missed FG by the Rams, we have the ball at our own freaking 48 yard line. The Rams guessed right in that our 1st down play was going to be a pass. Kaep hesitates, realizes there is nobody open and has to scramble to pick up 3 yards. So if you are the Rams, what defensive play are you calling now? That's right...they run blitz right up the gut between the A-gaps and stuff Gore for a 1 yard gain; no threat of an off-tackle run as Gore is in there and you play the odds. Next play, what would you call? You got it...bring the heat. Result = a critical sack by Long and we have to punt and the game over.
Originally posted by NCommand:
You don't think 1st down production is critical (esp. 4+ yards)? In OT, after the missed FG by the Rams, we have the ball at our own freaking 48 yard line. The Rams guessed right in that our 1st down play was going to be a pass. Kaep hesitates, realizes there is nobody open and has to scramble to pick up 3 yards. So if you are the Rams, what defensive play are you calling now? That's right...they run blitz right up the gut between the A-gaps and stuff Gore for a 1 yard gain; no threat of an off-tackle run as Gore is in there and you play the odds. Next play, what would you call? You got it...bring the heat. Result = a critical sack by Long and we have to punt and the game over.

Good stuff as usual... I remember being pissed off at Ck7 for taking that sack.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Good stuff as usual... I remember being pissed off at Ck7 for taking that sack.

Hahaha. He should have thrown it away...found the open receiver in under 2 seconds esp. the wide open Moss who had two steps on all three of his defenders. If not, he clearly should have had better pocket presence and escaped. He should have known where the pressure was coming from and side stepped them. I mean, if he can't even outrun Chris Long, we might as well go with the backup...oh wait.
Thanks OM9er. Rams OL analysis up on front page!