LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

OL Analysis 1st Down Production (Running Log)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
gore was gashing the giants early. not sure why it was completely abandoned.
This is a great thread. I'd be interested to see where most of our mistakes are made that stop us from getting first downs or TDs. Seems like in the redzone this number would go way down.
Giants and Hawks game analysis and %'s are up (see initial post). Interesting results...
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM ]
Totals % of 4+ Yards on 1st Down:

Game 1 (Green Bay) = 13 out of 18 = 72%
Game 2 (Detroit) = 15 out of 29 = 52%
Game 3 (Minnesota) = 17 out of 28 = 61%
Game 4 (New YorkJ) = 23 out of 35 = 66%
Game 5 (Buffalo) = 24 out of 33 = 73%
Game 6 (Giants) = 15 out of 25 = 60%
Game 7 (Hawks) = 11 out of 26 = 42%

Overall, for the season, we're 118 out of 194 = 61% which is fantastic!

Wow... 42% in the Hawks game.. well.. for what it is worth, I so enjoyed watching the 3rd quarter TD drive we had in that one. No, the whole game was rough... but that one was a beauty and put us in the lead for good.

61% on the season... with lots of room to get better! I can get behind that.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Totals % of 4+ Yards on 1st Down:

Game 1 (Green Bay) = 13 out of 18 = 72%
Game 2 (Detroit) = 15 out of 29 = 52%
Game 3 (Minnesota) = 17 out of 28 = 61%
Game 4 (New YorkJ) = 23 out of 35 = 66%
Game 5 (Buffalo) = 24 out of 33 = 73%
Game 6 (Giants) = 15 out of 25 = 60%
Game 7 (Hawks) = 11 out of 26 = 42%

Overall, for the season, we're 118 out of 194 = 61% which is fantastic!

Wow... 42% in the Hawks game.. well.. for what it is worth, I so enjoyed watching the 3rd quarter TD drive we had in that one. No, the whole game was rough... but that one was a beauty and put us in the lead for good.

61% on the season... with lots of room to get better! I can get behind that.

Yeah, the Hawks did a great job shutting us down on this down. The good news is that we're consistently very good on first down and I've noticed Alex is mostly in the shot gun on 1st downs too and we seem to have a nice mix of passes/runs and both are successful on this down...many times VERY successful.

With this much production, its sometimes hard to figure out where (or why) we fail (lots of reasons). But like you said, 61% is great AND with room for improvement which is encouraging at the 1.5 WCO mark.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 23, 2012 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Giants and Hawks game analysis and %'s are up (see initial post). Interesting results...

Thanks for providing this information NC. I am curious, however, what conclusions you are drawing from your work....and what specifically you are finding interesting.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

Thanks for providing this information NC. I am curious, however, what conclusions you are drawing from your work....and what specifically you are finding interesting.

You bet 80's!

• Consistency & Team Offense - as a team (Alex, OL, RB's, WR's, Roman/Play-calls, etc.), aside from the Hawks game, we have been very consistent in first down production for every game thus far putting ourselves in position to be successful on 2nd/3rd downs. 61% is at the top of the league as well as our first down attempts. B/c of the production we have on 1st downs, we are generating tops in the NFL in attempts - in short, we're getting many 10+ yards on first downs and continue to make the most of these opportunities and this is against some top defenses (at the time) mixed in.
  • TD's & Mixing - most of our TD's come from first downs (only 1 INT) and we have an even mix of runs/passes with most passes being from the shotgun (esp. as of late).
  • Chunks - this is the down where we, bay far, have the most big chunk yards and I think that's a combination of defenses not knowing what play we'll run.
  • One-read - this appears to be the down where there is clearly a designed target and the other 10 guys play a significant role (i.e. blocking down field, decoys, rub routes, etc.) in the success of this play; in short, less progression reads are done on this down.
  • Effort - As a result of the aforementioned, it seems the "targeted receiver" tends to come off the LOS a little quicker, faster, etc. This is just MY observation...but makes sense; if you know you're going to get the ball, you've got to get open!
  • %'s = Wins - what seems to be our combination for winning is a 60% success rate on this down with at least 25 chances. A dominant performance would be 70% with 35 chances. We've won/loss outside this formula (GB only 18 chances but 72% rate; Detroit/Hawks only 52 & 42% & 60% for Giants but we lost).
  • Wall - when we aren't successful on this down, it's generally d/t a toss-out left to Gore (minus yards), a sack, incompletion or penalty.
  • Negative production - we have very few plays that are negative or just 1 or 2 yards.
We're 3rd in the NFL on short-yardage rushing effectiveness and #1 in 2nd level effectiveness (5 - 10 yards), 6th in 10+ yard effectiveness.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
We're 3rd in the NFL on short-yardage rushing effectiveness and #1 in 2nd level effectiveness (5 - 10 yards), 6th in 10+ yard effectiveness.

These are things we can certainly build off of...encouraging.

Encouraging, but like you said we really need to become more consistent all around. When we are not successful it makes for some very painful football to watch from our offense.

Originally posted by tohara3:

Encouraging, but like you said we really need to become more consistent all around. When we are not successful it makes for some very painful football to watch from our offense.

Totally agreed...would like to see:
  • More targets of VD (line him up in the back field, drag routes, post routes (use that speed), wheel routes, out at WR, etc. or just go old-school WCO and have him run shallow-to-mid-range routes and sit down in the soft zones. You have GOT to target your best receiver even if he is a TE. Whatever happened to the seam route Alex/VD were money on. Or how about the roll-right, throw back left to a wide open VD? No excuses...VD is a mismatch 1on1 with anyone and you've got to get creative in isolating him.
  • Need much better production on 2nd and 3rd downs and esp. the RZ and short yardage plays.
  • When you get single coverage on Moss, remember that play, come back to it and make HIM the primary target the next time.
  • Work on more exact-timing routes with Alex/WR's. Bill Walsh was meticulous with Montana...when that back foot plants on 3 steps, it's out...WR MUST slant in and get him body between he and the defender. This needs to happen at exact 2.8 seconds. Precision. We don't run a precision offense on any route.
  • Since I'm the new coach, I'd do something unconventional. I'd make make Randy my Rice and Manningham my Taylor. I'd slowly start integrating Jenkins into the slot (over Crabtree) to see if he is quicker off the LOS, has better hand separation, is quicker, faster, more reliable, etc. Enough of the WR-packages. The WCO is predicated on rhythm...you can't get a QB and WR group in any rhythm with the offense we run now.
  • Feel for the game. If the running plays are working, do it all day long and set up play action. If the middle of the field is open, exploit it all day long. If the post route, wheel route, WR or RB screen is working, do it all day long. Find a weakness, exploit it. That's what great OC's do. It's how the Giants beat us targeting Manningham on Brock in the NFCCG after Brown got hurt. Smart. Or Cruz on Rogers.
Cards game is up...we're starting to see a negative trend here!
^ still hard at work.. love it!

Finally got to start my play-by-play... only managed finishing our first O-drive before life grabbed a hold of me. Miss my free time. Sitting in a Starbucks right now waiting for the latest hand-therapy appointment to end.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
^ still hard at work.. love it!

Finally got to start my play-by-play... only managed finishing our first O-drive before life grabbed a hold of me. Miss my free time. Sitting in a Starbucks right now waiting for the latest hand-therapy appointment to end.

I gotcha...will add your reference links when you've got 'em. No worries!
You don't think beat writers read our posts to get a pulse on fan interests and perspectives and for insight/ideas?

"First down seems to be the real key for San Francisco. On the down, the 49ers have gained four-or-more yards on 132 of 229 first-down plays (57.6 percent), ranking first in the NFL. It's noticeable to the players, too. "We always talking about trying to get in manageable third downs and I think we've done a good job of getting positive plays on those first and second downs to get in manageable situations," fullback Bruce Miller said.

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/49ers-Offense-Continues-to-Improve/c5b9f75c-0d15-48ea-87a0-31537f1cefbb

Could be a coincidence but who cares...glad people are finally getting it!

My numbers are slightly different @ overall, for the season, 129 out of 214 = 60% which is fantastic! Our low points have been against the Lions, Hawks and Cards (last two games).
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone