There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Where are our weaknesses?

Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for hungarian9erfan.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
catching the ball

this
1) Ted Ginn injuries every single year.
2) PR/KR backups really put the ball on the ground a lot and make questionable decisions.
3) P/K coverage - wow did this drop way off from last year.....
4) Dropped passes.
Ginn to be back as the PR/KR and Brandon Jacobs to be back for short yardage. 4th WR, still need AJ Jenkins to step in and step up soon as a 1st round pick, cause KW (as WR), Ginn (as WR) and D Walker aren't really doing anything to help the team thus far and probably will not in any significant fashion as the season continues. Also ST seems a bit lacking on PR/KR, they got rid of all the ST only players, Costanzo, Jones, Cartwright etc seems like the they aren't getting to the other team fast enough. Keeping Dixon doesn't really help on ST since he has never really made a tackle on ST, since he's slow. Hope it doesn't come back and bite us in the play-offs.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Sep 17, 2012 at 8:19 AM ]
Our only weakness is not having that Killer Instinct! When we are up by a decent amount, our play calling gets to conservative. Stealing a small tidbit from GregWilliams. Kill the head, the body will die mantra. F*ck that, just cut the head off! The team will lay lifeless! This should be the 49er way!
[ Edited by Bleed49ers4Life on Sep 17, 2012 at 6:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Bleed49ers4Life:
Our only weakness is not having that Killer Instinct! When we are up by a decent amount, our play calling gets to conservative. Stealing a small tidbit from GregWilliams. Kill the head, the body will die mantra. F*ck that, just cut the head off! The team will lay lifeless! This should be the 49er way!

and give away our secret stash of plays? no way. as long as they're effective running the ball, can't complain. it's not like it's shades of marucci right now
  • fryet
  • Veteran
We are back at a point where we are nit picking wins. I have to strongly disagree about us not playing to win at the end against the Lions. We had a 15 point lead with 3 minutes to go. Game over. Sure it is theoretically possible they could have recovered the onside kick, scored another TD against our D, and done a 2 point conversion to tie the game, but that is a lot of ifs. Expecting our team to be leading by more than 15 against a play-off caliber opponent just isn't realistic.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Very few, but delanie is making me think we should look into a backup TE next season.

Yeah, dude has been awful when the ball has gone his way. He had a good game blocking against the Lions, but he can't seem to catch a cold these days.
Originally posted by kujon11:
and give away our secret stash of plays? no way. as long as they're effective running the ball, can't complain. it's not like it's shades of marucci right now

No no that's not what i meant. I didn't mean to open the play book up and air it out like the old west shootout. I just meant that the offense didnt physically impose their will on the Lions D in crucial times in the second half IMO. They allowed them to make momentum changing plays that put their offense back on the field which gave the offense some life, and they scored a few times off that which made the score closer than game really was. They just gotta learn to keep the other team's back to the wall with our elbows still to there throats. Just my IMO though.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Backup tight end. Maybe we should have gotten fleener or someone better than walker.. He dropped a pass that cost us a score, he had a dumb ass hold which negated a great alex smith run which cost us a score,,, god forbid if vernon gets hurt and he is the main tight end. i like all of our players but I think we can really do better. otherwise our wide outs just have to catch the balls when thrown to them. we do so many little things so very well that we can control that it is hard for other teams to figure us out. how the hell can you game plan against a team tackles so very well? oh and the sooner we get ginn back the better
  • Pass rush, especially late in the game. An effective player with fresh legs to come in on passing downs.
  • Pick a #2 receiver and stick with him. A player needs more on-field time to get a rhythm and rapport with the QB.
  • Passing more on first down