There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Where are our weaknesses?

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Very few, but delanie is making me think we should look into a backup TE next season.

This is beginning to worry me more and more.

Other than that, we could add depth to the OLB, safety, and TE positions, in that order.
Not only are we saying so, but everyone else is now as well: this team is elite.

This is a weird feeling because the world officially agrees. It's like a fact.

Why the sudden change? Why weren't we elite after going to the NFC Championship game last year? Why weren't we considered elite after beating the Packers in Lambeau in the season opener?

Because everyone (outside of this team) believes you need a QB to win in this league. And now that the entire nation saw Smith play this well tonight and build on his performace against the Saints last year, Smith is now viewed as a leader and not just a complementary player/manager/whatever else b/s term people called him last year.

This team is legit. Smith is legit. This defense is legit.

And most importantly, Gore is running like he did in 2006. He's patient, making quick cuts and hitting the hole hard when the OL opens up a lane. Gore's rejuvenation is the most exciting thing I've seen this year because he has looked damn good and is the focal point of this offense.

I'm so juiced right now.
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Sep 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM ]
Leonard Davis looked pretty awful. If one of our online gets hurt we could be in trouble.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Leonard Davis looked pretty awful. If one of our online gets hurt we could be in trouble.

Well we really don't know for sure who would come in between him and Kilgore.
Originally posted by mella8:
The offense.

Now before y'all bust me up, hear me out.

I love what our offense is doing. We have a great run game, are best at managing the clock, and have the ability to make big plays at key times. With that said, the playcalling has been a hindrance. Two weeks in a row we BLEW OUT the opposition, and Im not overstating this. Both the Packers and the Lions had no right to make these games into one possession affairs, yet it was our offensive playcalling that put us in these positions. We have got to make the kill shot when we get our chance. The defense is awesome, but you cant expect them to shut offenses out each and every drive. Somewhere they're gonna crack, and the fact that the Lions were an offside kick away / Packers were a great Culliver cover of Nelson away from actually taking it down to the wire is not a fair assessment of just how good this team really is.

I know we got some great new pieces in the passing game, and maybe we're still trying to get comfortable with them. But Id like to see the team put the nail in the coffin when they get their chance. In this case, we shouldve ended this game at the end of the 2nd quarter. Im hoping Harbaugh and company start implementing the long ball into the arsenal, and start working on converting some of those 3rd and shorts.

I used to agree with the point you're making... but the only time I feel we've ever blown a lead, like you're saying could happen, was the Cowboys loss in Week 2 last year. And given how much we've evolved as a team since then, I don't see that happening again.

The Ravens loss last year, our o-line coudn't handle their blitz. The Cardinals loss was us playing pretty flat-footed on offense. The Giants loss in the playoffs was lack of production on 3rd down and unfortunate muffed punts.

There's nothing wrong with our conservatism when we have a lead. We've been successful doing what we've been doing.
Originally posted by mella8:
I know we got some great new pieces in the passing game, and maybe we're still trying to get comfortable with them. But Id like to see the team put the nail in the coffin when they get their chance. In this case, we shouldve ended this game at the end of the 2nd quarter. Im hoping Harbaugh and company start implementing the long ball into the arsenal, and start working on converting some of those 3rd and shorts.

Ideologically, we're built on the premise that it isn't one or two big plays that will decide the game, but a series of good decisions over the course of the game. I mean, think back to last season. How many times do you recall our team making stupid boneheaded decisions?

If you notice, we didn't really have a huge momentum-changing play in our two wins over the Packers and Lions. We were just very steady, and had a workman-like approach to the game.

Sure, I'd like to open ourselves up to a more vertical attack, but I think the team and coaching staff likes to be more methodical in the way they attack. I mean, that's Harbaugh's West Coast Offense style.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Not only are we saying so, but everyone else is now as well: this team is elite.

This is a weird feeling because the world officially agrees. It's like a fact.

Why the sudden change? Why weren't we elite after going to the NFC Championship game last year? Why weren't we considered elite after beating the Packers in Lambeau in the season opener?

Because everyone (outside of this team) believes you need a QB to win in this league. And now that the entire nation saw Smith play this well tonight and build on his performace against the Saints last year, Smith is now viewed as a leader and not just a complementary player/manager/whatever else b/s term people called him last year.

This team is legit. Smith is legit. This defense is legit.

And most importantly, Gore is running like he did in 2006. He's patient, making quick cuts and hitting the hole hard when the OL opens up a lane. Gore's rejuvenation is the most exciting thing I've seen this year because he has looked damn good and is the focal point of this offense.

I'm so juiced right now.

Oh Hell Yeah
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Very few, but delanie is making me think we should look into a backup TE next season.

This is beginning to worry me more and more.

Other than that, we could add depth to the OLB, safety, and TE positions, in that order.

I disagree. Delanie does so much for us outside of pass catching. I would like to see him do a lot better in that area of course.

If we can upgrade in the future, I wouldn't be against it though. Delanie is mad versatile though.
Drops are killing us definitely.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
OLB rotation

we cant have aldon and brooks play every snap on defense way too exhaustig and cause them to ware down in the end of the game
This is why we run the ball, short yardage on other downs, move the chains and eat the clock to give the D a rest.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Drops... 3rd and short/3rd down overall
Any short yardage situation, hopefully this improves when Jacobs comes back, we need to scrape the jumbo with Tukuafu at FB, it has not gone well most of the time. Maybe put Kaep in, the other side will be looking to run, which he can, or he can just hand it off, and also pass if he sprints out and the defender plays him toss it if not run it, the think about this package is, at least 3 people will be occupied by those 2, leaving 9 on eight, with a good scheme and trapping a convoy for whoever is running downhill.

And yes, the ST FG and K.O. coverage team has been good, the other sectors have not been up to par.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
I disagree. Delanie does so much for us outside of pass catching. I would like to see him do a lot better in that area of course.

If we can upgrade in the future, I wouldn't be against it though. Delanie is mad versatile though.


Walkers catching has been abysmal this year thus far, he needs to go back to school, catch the damn ball then work it, he is taking his eye off the ball, his blocking compareed to last year is not as good, he had some good blocks in the lion's game, but that is by design. He is small and not big and overpowering. He knows the system so we will keep him, but after this year, I believe we will go younger and bigger with a real TE.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,777
Same as last season: short yardage rushing (though the guy we brought in to fix that hasn't played yet), drops, pass protection.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,777
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Not only are we saying so, but everyone else is now as well: this team is elite.

This is a weird feeling because the world officially agrees. It's like a fact.

Why the sudden change? Why weren't we elite after going to the NFC Championship game last year? Why weren't we considered elite after beating the Packers in Lambeau in the season opener?

Because everyone (outside of this team) believes you need a QB to win in this league. And now that the entire nation saw Smith play this well tonight and build on his performace against the Saints last year, Smith is now viewed as a leader and not just a complementary player/manager/whatever else b/s term people called him last year.

This team is legit. Smith is legit. This defense is legit.

And most importantly, Gore is running like he did in 2006. He's patient, making quick cuts and hitting the hole hard when the OL opens up a lane. Gore's rejuvenation is the most exciting thing I've seen this year because he has looked damn good and is the focal point of this offense.

I'm so juiced right now.

ITA. Was worried Gore would keep declining and fade away, but I've never seen him run better. Shocking and thrilling.
catching the ball
Isn't it just great to even being able to have this thread after the past 10 years or so?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home