There are 175 users in the forums

"Secondary is Awesome" Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just have to say, that we have an awesome secondary.

I love that our scheme allows the pass defenders to go up there and challenge receivers for the ball. I think it's THE reason why we're so successful as a defense. We don't bow down to the Calvin Johnsons of the league. Our cornerbacks go after the ball when they feel like they can... and a lot of the time, they're very successful defending the pass.

(Replacement refs are killing me though. They're throwing bogus pass interference and defensive holding calls left and right throughout the league).
I love the secondary. Culiver is going to be a beast of a CB
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Did anyone see the PI against him for 34 yards? I didn't get a close look but didn't look like something that should be called. Anyways, the secondary has been a huge part of why we won these 2 games. They are all playing great.
Dashon Goldson played well today. He was all over the field and he played the run very well despite being deep in the secondary.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I am curious on how much we were in nickel defense. We we holding Detroit to 3 ypc with a nickel defense, or was that mainly our base 3-4? My suspicion is we were mainly in nickel, and that makes it difficult for passing offenses to beat us. Very impressive defensive effort by the 49ers. I wish we could shut teams down at the end (I would have loved to see a stat of Stafford with 150 yards passing), but the 49ers played effectively to win at the end, so I can't really complain.
awesome secondary is awesome

Seriously though they are fun to watch. A lot of times watching the other side with the ball can be tedious but this group in general is so much fun to see in action. Cully is really stepping up I feel like.
I think its time to pay goldson. He's a beast against the run and the pass. Culliver is developing into a great corner!
Originally posted by fryet:
I am curious on how much we were in nickel defense. We we holding Detroit to 3 ypc with a nickel defense, or was that mainly our base 3-4? My suspicion is we were mainly in nickel, and that makes it difficult for passing offenses to beat us. Very impressive defensive effort by the 49ers. I wish we could shut teams down at the end (I would have loved to see a stat of Stafford with 150 yards passing), but the 49ers played effectively to win at the end, so I can't really complain.

Pretty sure Willis and Bowman were out there most if not all of the game. So we probably played nickel (2 s, 3 cbs) most of the game. We might have played dime (2 s, 4cbs) but I don't recall any plays where we had 1 ILB, 3 dl and 7 dbs like last week. Safeties played off the line 25 yards a good chunk of the game... goldson did a great job of coming up to stop the run. This allowed us to put over the top help on Calvin and the WRs... made the go underneath.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

Sky is the limit for him. 6'1'' 200 lbs 4.4 speed and great ball skills. What a steal.

I LOVE the players we have in our secondary and especially the way they play. But, I think their success is really just a testament to our defense as a whole and how well they play together.

Our pass rush makes it easy on the back end. Our coverage helps our front get to the Q.B.

All in all, we are playing great D as a single unit.
How about Dashon and Donte just blasting people.
Culliver is going to be scary in his 3rd and 4th year. There could be an island named after him if he keeps going the way hes going.
Some good CB play by Culliver and Brown. Culliver got burned by those deep balls down the sideline against the Giants (first game) and the Saints. Not no more. He's turning around and breaking them up. Brown is doing the same. Good stuff.

The shaky play is from Carlos Rogers on occasion. He needs to step up. Dashon and Whitner doing it all run or pass.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Culliver is going to be scary in his 3rd and 4th year. There could be an island named after him if he keeps going the way hes going.

Regarding the secondary, that's the notable report that I took away from the game. He does not suck.

Also, Wubbie, you laid down some serious postage this off season. Damn, I remember when I was covering your butt from the usual hazards. Congrats, man!
Share 49ersWebzone