There are 170 users in the forums

Carlos Rogers slot blitzes - more please

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Someone might remember better than me, but I don't recall Carlos Rogers blitzing from the slot hardly ever last year.

But I saw at least four or five blitzes from #22 out of the slot. One clean sack of Rodgers (first career sack for #22, congrats!), and at least a few hurries. He was damn good at it. Most blitzing DBs - heck, most blitzers period - seem to find a way not to get to the QB. (Even Willis is overall a sub-par blitzer - really the only hole in his game IMO.) But Rogers had the knack of getting the timing and closing angle spot on.

I thought Rogers was at least as effective as Charles Woodson on his pass rushes, and Woodson get tons of hype as the master of the DB blitz. For a team that brings extra rushers as infrequently as we do, Carlos coming off the slot might be one of our best schemes.
Nice point. One of the things I also wanted Vic to add to year 2 was the CB blitz. I believe it is MUCH more effective when you are playing your secondary up tight at the LOS, being physical within 5 yards and NOT allowing free releases (like we saw yesterday). When you do this (this used to be a huge success against us BTW), you can run all sorts of CB and S blitzes off them w/o the QB expecting it. When you are constantly playing 10-15 yards off, then the QB sees a CB come up tight all of a sudden, its much easier to spot this blitz and subsequently, go to that WR on the hot route for big gains.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
The last play was also a CB blitz. Cox got a hit on Rodgers, and with the refs the way they were going, I was just wishing they didn't call him for roughing. It was a good clean hit.
i loved it...it forced Rodgers to throw at the guy from the area of the blitz and by doing that we knew the area he was going to throw instead of letting Rodgers choose where to throw...if that makes sense
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i loved it...it forced Rodgers to throw at the guy from the area of the blitz and by doing that we knew the area he was going to throw instead of letting Rodgers choose where to throw...if that makes sense

It does, the D out smarted him. They figured whatever side they bring the Cb blitz from that rodgers would go to that side thinking the coverage was softer in that area. Love it!
okay first of all willis is coming up the middle with tons of attention focused on his every move...while rogers is coming off in the slot or flanked way out on the wr. so don't even compare the two lol
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice point. One of the things I also wanted Vic to add to year 2 was the CB blitz. I believe it is MUCH more effective when you are playing your secondary up tight at the LOS, being physical within 5 yards and NOT allowing free releases (like we saw yesterday). When you do this (this used to be a huge success against us BTW), you can run all sorts of CB and S blitzes off them w/o the QB expecting it. When you are constantly playing 10-15 yards off, then the QB sees a CB come up tight all of a sudden, its much easier to spot this blitz and subsequently, go to that WR on the hot route for big gains.

Greenbay used to do that s**t all the time to us during the Young era!!! I used to see it before they did and it used to make me scream, lol!
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Greenbay used to do that s**t all the time to us during the Young era!!! I used to see it before they did and it used to make me scream, lol!

Totally...they used to blitz the CRAP out of their S's. Killed us...hell, Young's career was ended this way. I'd love to see more exotic looks and blitzes from Goldson/Whitner. Hey, you can't blow a coverage if youre blitzing Goldson. LOL. Now that we have Culliver/Cox Fangio should feel more inclined to trust his DB's to be more physical and run blitzes off those calls. But glad to see him at least implementing them!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
The last play was also a CB blitz. Cox got a hit on Rodgers, and with the refs the way they were going, I was just wishing they didn't call him for roughing. It was a good clean hit.

Good point, another +1 for Cox, glad he had a good game in his first action in a while. Maybe we will interchangeably use Rogers, Cox, and Spillman as blitz DBs while leaving TB and Cully on the outside to cover.
I feel fine with Rogers blitzing now and then, Brown and Culliver can handle themselves at CB. I feel Culliver is a future starter, if Brown wants to stay at the right price, both for him and cap wise, then keep him, if he wants more money than he deserves, then all be it let Cully start.

Originally posted by pd24:

I can't lie...my eyes went straight to the floor after that hit. I just "knew" there was a flag coming. Although it was a clean hit, it was a milisecond after the ball was out, and the refs were definitlely doing laundry all day. Hell, I wouldn't have been suprised if the real refs called that one roughing in this "protect the passer" league. But it wasn't ...good no call, way to start the '12 campaign. GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They were purposefully directing the ball away from Willis on almost every play. Figured it out after the second series. It is a part of the reason Bowman looked so good. THEY WANTED NO PART OF WILLIS.
Share 49ersWebzone