LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

Theyre sitting Willis in favor of Bowman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by 49ers:
First of all, when is it a sin to be better than Willis? Is it illegal? Did I say Willis is bad? No. Simply put, one more time...no matter how much Willis is "loved", which I being a Niner fan also do as well, one cannot argue that going into last year and the present, Bowman is playing at a simply higher level than Willis. If you can't give another of our players credit for taking his game above anothers, then "that" is your opinion which I have nothing against because I understand you, too, are a Niner fan.

That's the thing: it's not bad or illegal to say that he's better, but you can't say it's a fact cause it's not. Just like saying Calvin Johnson is better than Larry Fitzgerald. It's all opinions, not facts.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I believe that Bowman's success is a direct result to playing next to Willis. Yes, Bowman is playing better than Willis right now, but I don't think he plays at this high of a level without Willis. Why is that? I mentioned all of that in my previous post. Opposing offenses focus on making sure that Willis doesn't beat them, which certainly permits Bowman to roam the field and make big plays like he did today.

But really, we have the two best inside linebackers in the NFL. This is splitting hairs. I just think it's way too early for Willis to be passing the torch. He is still the face of this defense.

Good problem to have, I would say. "Our 2nd ILB may be better than our 1st ILB. BTW, our 1st ILB is top 5 LB in the NFL." He is making the case right now for Goldson to be the one w/o the contract at years end....IMO.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Sep 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM ]
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
So I've decide to rewatch the game on my DVR. First thing I noticed is that on the very first GB drive the Niners go into a dime package on obvious passing downs and take out Willis leaving Bowman as the loan middle LB. Cox seems to take the place of Willis.

The second thing I've noticed is when Willis is in all the plays seem to be designed away from him. Whether its a pass or run, GB plays the other side of the field if possible.

Based on the way f*gio is using Willis, I think it will be very difficult for him to have good stats.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say... Willis is going to do a lot of things for this defense that won't show up in the stat sheet.

Just because Bowman is going to take all the glory doesn't mean he's the better linebacker. I honestly don't think Bowman would be considered a top-2 inside linebacker if he wasn't playing directly next to the best in the business.

And damn straight I get a little emotional about my favorite players. I'm a fan.
i think you are down playing bowmans ability to make willis look better. we have 2 great LB's period. Dont really care whose better. Bowman is really that good and we as a team is lucky to have the 2 best in the game.
[ Edited by SF4EVA on Sep 9, 2012 at 9:48 PM ]
CLASSIC NT overreaction...WHY is this thread not locked yet...

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/09/game-story-49ers-kill-countless-streaks-with-30-22-win-at-lambeau/

Jim Harbaugh's mantra is "The team, the team and the team" and Sunday's victory was an all-around effort.

The defense? The 49ers dropped extra defenders into coverage against the pass-happy Packers, who ranked fifth in NFL history with 540 points last year. The tradeoff was that San Francisco was outnumbered up front and routinely took one of their best defensive players, inside linebacker Patrick Willis, out of the game when they used six defensive backs.

Regardless, the 49ers still stuffed the run – Green Bay running back Cedric Benson had 18 yards on 9 carries – and harassed Rodgers. They collected three sacks and five hits on the reigning NFL MVP, who scrambled five times for 27 yards under duress. After three quarters, the Packers, who scored two offensive touchdowns, trailed 23-7.

/thread

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/09/09/game-story-49ers-kill-countless-streaks-with-30-22-win-at-lambeau/
Quote:

Jim Harbaugh's mantra is "The team, the team and the team" and Sunday's victory was an all-around effort.

The defense? The 49ers dropped extra defenders into coverage against the pass-happy Packers, who ranked fifth in NFL history with 540 points last year. The tradeoff was that San Francisco was outnumbered up front and routinely took one of their best defensive players, inside linebacker Patrick Willis, out of the game when they used six defensive backs.

Regardless, the 49ers still stuffed the run – Green Bay running back Cedric Benson had 18 yards on 9 carries – and harassed Rodgers. They collected three sacks and five hits on the reigning NFL MVP, who scrambled five times for 27 yards under duress. After three quarters, the Packers, who scored two offensive touchdowns, trailed 23-7.

/thread

This and thank you

/thread

yup, yup.

/thread

this does nothing to explain why they choose to play bowman in that package over willis
lol hilarious panic! omg!! They were rotating a lot of people. Excellent coaching strategy to keep fresh legs coming in & out especially in that type of game against that offense
I noticed 1 play where Willis looked a little slow chasing a TE in the flat, maybe hes dinged up. i wouldn't worry yet tho, we all know they both beasts.
Originally posted by schmons:
this does nothing to explain why they choose to play bowman in that package over willis

maybe cos Bowman is 3 years younger and in the judgement OF THE COACHES is better suited to pass coverage (in addition to being arguably an equal to PW against the run and in tackling)....seeing as how NB got a pick i'd say they judged correctly

/thread

Actually, it looks like they are rotating them by series. Bowman took the first dime package. Willis took the second. Now Bowman is back in on the 3rd series. The final series of the 1st half had 48 seconds left when GB got the ball. Both Willis and Bowman where in. On running plays they are both in.

The first GB possesion of the second half had Willis and Bowman. The second possesion of GB featured Willis as the LB in the dime package as I would expect the rotation to go.

After watching this game again, I'm convinced the strategy was to keep them both fresh. Makes sense to me.

It had nothing to do with coverage....it was a rotation. Watch again.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM ]

• fryet
  • Veteran
I am excited about the 49ers continued use of the nickel and dime against passing teams, including Detroit this coming week. The biggest thing that I took out of their dime package wasn't that they slowed the Packer's passing offense, it was the fact that the Packers only averaged 2 ypc against them. To have that great of a rushing defense, while frequently being in a dime package is almost unthinkable. The 49ers have become so good at defending the run, that they don't even need Willis and Bowman on the field at all times. I think we are going to continue to see a lot of dime packages against teams that don't have strong rushing attacks. We probably won't continue to average 2 ypc against the run, but we should be much better against the pass this year.

I still can't believe it - the defense only allowed 15 points to the most potent offense in the NFL. The 49ers 4th best corner is Parish Cox (who is pretty good). I can only imagine what the defense is going to do this season when they face weaker offenses (i.e. the rest of the season).
Originally posted by Crowndeyace:
I noticed 1 play where Willis looked a little slow chasing a TE in the flat, maybe hes dinged up. i wouldn't worry yet tho, we all know they both beasts.

I noticed the same thing. Kinda slow getting to Finley along the sideline, and when he did get there, it looked like he didnt put alot into the tackle
Wow talk about an overreaction
Originally posted by Nalo9er:

I noticed the same thing. Kinda slow getting to Finley along the sideline, and when he did get there, it looked like he didnt put alot into the tackle
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Nalo9er:

Lol what's all this sht? Is it inconceivable that Willis wasn't 100%?
Share 49ersWebzone