LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

Theyre sitting Willis in favor of Bowman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ers:
Originally posted by deepniner:
Why is it so hard to admit that Willis hasnt been that dominant and game changing as in the past. And oh yeah, as a result, Bowman is playing better than him. We have to admit that he's not been dominant since the 2nd part of last season.

Thank you. The elephant in the room is that Bowman IS better than Willis. End of story.

Wow. I can't believe you guys watch the games. We asked Willis to cover more because he has blinding speed. This takes him AWAY from the line of scrimage. Which in turn takes him AWAY from stat producing plays. Why is this difficult for fans to understand?.... .....
PWilly and Bowman are sick defenders. I'm not worried. This Defense is a beast. Tarrel Brown made some nice plays too.
Defense only gave up 14 points against the Packers. Special Teams gave up the other other TD. When you can do that,
against the Packers in Lambeau, everything will be fine. Can anybody else in our division beat the Packers on the road?
Don't tread on him. HOF.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i think its because bowman is faster

Yeah because Bowman (4.7) is better than Willis (4.49 - combine) for speed....

really? maybe people don't favorite his Willis's fans.. SMH..
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think we have to consider trading either Willis or Navarro at the end of this season (or maybe next). While I would love to keep them both, I don't know if we can afford it with the salary cap. If we can't, why not trade one of them and get either some great players or some very good draft picks that we could use to continue to build the team for the future?
Originally posted by fryet:
I think we have to consider trading either Willis or Navarro at the end of this season (or maybe next). While I would love to keep them both, I don't know if we can afford it with the salary cap. If we can't, why not trade one of them and get either some great players or some very good draft picks that we could use to continue to build the team for the future?

i think u have to consider that our FO know how to handle the CAP.. Im just lost for words..
Originally posted by AC49er:

Now I have seen it all on the WZ. I think it may be time to retire from Niner Talk....

WTF man.

That's a thought that was better off staying in your head.
  • 49ers
  • Veteran
Why is it so hard to admit that Willis hasnt been that dominant and game changing as in the past. And oh yeah, as a result, Bowman is playing better than him. We have to admit that he's not been dominant since the 2nd part of last season.

Thank you. The elephant in the room is that Bowman IS better than Willis. End of story.

Wow. I can't believe you guys watch the games. We asked Willis to cover more because he has blinding speed. This takes him AWAY from the line of scrimage. Which in turn takes him AWAY from stat producing plays. Why is this difficult for fans to understand?.... .....

Listen, SD, don't lump me with whatever fans you're trying to. I did not mention anything of the sort. I simply said Bowman is better than Willis, which is a fact to those that watch objectively. Never said anything negative.

• fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

i think u have to consider that our FO know how to handle the CAP.. Im just lost for words..

So do you really think that we can keep 2 ILB making something like 8 million a year (not sure on the exact numbers, but I suspect I am being conservative), plus keep the rest of the team as well? It just isn't worth paying 2 ILB that much. If the FO can find a way to make it happen, all the better, but we won't be able to keep this team together if they continue to play at this level. Navarro Bowman is going to insist on a major pay raise after this season, and who could blame him? He is currently only getting 3rd round pick money.

So, if the FO determines that they can't keep the entire team together, it makes sense to trade some players for high draft picks, and then draft the talent, hoping that they can fill the shoes of the player that was traded - but at a lower price tag.

P.S. The only other option is for the FO to mortgage the future to try and keep the team together for a couple of more years. Would you choose that route instead?
Maybe we should trade Willis to Seattle for Wilson.

Listen, SD, don't lump me with whatever fans you're trying to. I did not mention anything of the sort. I simply said Bowman is better than Willis, which is a fact to those that watch objectively. Never said anything negative.

Lol but it's not... Not only, by definition, is it an opinion, but it's certainly more than debatable.

You ever think that maybe opposing offenses are scheming against Willis and focusing on him when the offensive lineman get to the 2nd level? Maybe Bowman's success is a direct result of playing next to Willis? Maybe having Willis next to him allows him to roam free most of the time?

Willis does so much for this defense that doesn't even show up in the stat sheet, let alone the viewer's eyes. When offensive coordinators try to prepare for out team, the first two defenders they focus on are Justin Smith and Patrick Willis, followed closely by Bowman and Aldon Smith.

Both are fantastic, and it's silly that we're debating who's better because each are equally as important to this team. The only reason I'm arguing with you is because you walk in here saying that it's a foregone conclusion that Bowman is officially better than Willis. It seems like you're the one that's not watching objectively.
I was kinda worried about Willis. When Bowman got that INT Willis would have immediately found someone and taken them out, instead he stood there waiting for someone to come up. I hope the guy isnt carrying a injury and that his mind is on the game.

Willis is playing a more coverage roll than he had been in previous times. Others are going after the ball runner while he takes on the TEs and RBs out of the back field.
[ Edited by ace49ers on Sep 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM ]
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I was kinda worried about Willis. When Bowman got that INT Willis would have immediately found someone and taken them out, instead he stood there waiting for someone to come up. I hope the guy isnt carrying a injury and that his mind is on the game.

Willis is playing a more coverage roll than he had been in previous times. Others are going after the ball runner while he takes on the TEs and RBs out of the back field.
Th reason he has been playing a more coverage role..... hmm lets see he faced the Saints against Graham... so yeah thats why he played more coverage on that game... then faced Giants and basically dominated that game because they don't have tight ends... today facing the best offense and Aaron Rodgers who can throw to anyone... well yeah I mean I would have Willis playing coverage too... so it depend on who you play.. I mean is it hard to see that?
Share 49ersWebzone