Not a member? Register Now!

Thought that came to me in the shower about playoff reseeding

• MarkD
  • Veteran
I always "Reseed" in the shower!
Originally posted by 49er4life:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_season

THIS MUST'VE SUCKED (for pats fans) : 11-5 patriots miss the playoffs altogether while the 8-8 chargers make the playoffs solely by virtue of "winning their division"

NFL should just follow the NBA example....two 16-team conferences where final record at the end of the season determines playoff seeding and artificial "divisional standings" have no bearing on the playoffs.

WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Arizona
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Detroit (or Indianapolis)
Green Bay
Houston
Kansas City
Minnesota
New Orleans
Oakland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
St. Louis
Tennessee

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Buffalo
Carolina
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Indianapolis (or Detroit)
Jacksonville
Miami
New England
New York Giants
New York Jets
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington

The reason this doesn't work is because of the 16 game schedule. The NBA has 82 games so the can play an equal level of competition, this is just not possible with 16 games and 32 teams.

NOWHERE in my above statement is there any mention of the SCHEDULING being based off the NBA. Only that the PLAYOFF SEEDING would be based of the NBA, i.e. top 6 teams in each NFL conference record-wise at the end of the season make the playoffs-- with tiebreakers of course).

Looking at my other posts, you'd see that my suggestion for the REGULAR SEASON itself would be based more on how the MLB seasons are scheduled (though that sport is gonna change this soon)...that is, 2 leagues where most of the games a team plays are against other teams within its own league and an occasional interleague series.

Like I've said, I concede that one of the drawbacks of this format for the NFL is a matchup between a West Conf. team (like the 49ers) and an East Conf. team (like say, the Pats) could take YEARS to come to pass (unless both teams finish in the same standing within their respective conference the previous season) or both teams face each other in the Super Bowl.
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Sep 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM ]