There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Thought that came to me in the shower about playoff reseeding

So I was thinking how crappy it is that teams like 49ers and Packers or Pats and Manning lead Colts could never play each other in the SB. Can you imagine the SB epicness of the 94 Niners vs the 94 Cowboys in the SB? Then it came to me, why don't they reseed the championship rounds, so that the No 1 seed NFC team plays the no 2 seed AFC team, and the no 1 seed AFC plays the no 2 seed NFC? That way you can always have the two best teams in the SB, regardless of Conference, thus limiting the 49-26 final superbowl scores. So whats your guy's opinion on this?


Also never title a thread like this again.
Originally posted by NickSh49:


Also never title a thread like this again.

Hey if you cant get your mind off my hot soapy body its your problem
I thought you said u came in the shower. My thought was "who hasn't?"
Originally posted by sactomkiii:
Originally posted by NickSh49:


Also never title a thread like this again.

Hey if you cant get your mind off my hot soapy body its your problem

Shh. I'm trying my best.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_season

THIS MUST'VE SUCKED (for pats fans) : 11-5 patriots miss the playoffs altogether while the 8-8 chargers make the playoffs solely by virtue of "winning their division"

NFL should just follow the NBA example....two 16-team conferences where final record at the end of the season determines playoff seeding and artificial "divisional standings" have no bearing on the playoffs.


WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Arizona
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Detroit (or Indianapolis)
Green Bay
Houston
Kansas City
Minnesota
New Orleans
Oakland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
St. Louis
Tennessee

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Buffalo
Carolina
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Indianapolis (or Detroit)
Jacksonville
Miami
New England
New York Giants
New York Jets
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Sep 8, 2012 at 11:09 AM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_season

11-5 patriots miss the playoffs altogether while the 8-8 chargers make the playoffs solely by virtue of "winning their division"

NFL should just follow the NBA example....two 16-team conferences where final record at the end of the season determines playoff seeding and artificial "divisional standings" have no bearing on the playoffs.

WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Arizona
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Detroit (or Indianapolis)
Green Bay
Houston
Kansas City
Minnesota
New Orleans
Oakland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
St. Louis
Tennessee

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Buffalo
Carolina
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Indianapolis (or Detroit)
Jacksonville
Miami
New England
New York Giants
New York Jets
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington

I disagree, but I get the logic.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_season

THIS MUST'VE SUCKED (for pats fans) : 11-5 patriots miss the playoffs altogether while the 8-8 chargers make the playoffs solely by virtue of "winning their division"

NFL should just follow the NBA example....two 16-team conferences where final record at the end of the season determines playoff seeding and artificial "divisional standings" have no bearing on the playoffs.


WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Arizona
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Detroit (or Indianapolis)
Green Bay
Houston
Kansas City
Minnesota
New Orleans
Oakland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
St. Louis
Tennessee

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Buffalo
Carolina
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Indianapolis (or Detroit)
Jacksonville
Miami
New England
New York Giants
New York Jets
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington

I like it. IMO it's really unlikely though, am I wrong about that?
as far as season scheduling, just ditch 4-team divisions altogether and make each team within a conference play the other 15 teams in the same conference ONCE in a season and for the 16th game have an interconference matchup based on what order two corresponding teams finished in the West and East Conferences the previous season.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
I like it. IMO it's really unlikely though, am I wrong about that?

Drawbacks are it would probably erode traditional divisional and regional rivalries (especially in the more spread out west) but at least (49ers-wise) there would be annual matchups against GB, DAL, OAK etc. instead of having to wait 2-4 years as is the current format

SInce the Eastern Conference is more compact between teams distance-wise more traditional rvialries are preserved....but the take away is the only time a western conference team would face an eastern conference team is the annual in-season matchup and Super Bowl (teams along the Mississippi could probably schedule preseason games).
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_season

THIS MUST'VE SUCKED (for pats fans) : 11-5 patriots miss the playoffs altogether while the 8-8 chargers make the playoffs solely by virtue of "winning their division"

NFL should just follow the NBA example....two 16-team conferences where final record at the end of the season determines playoff seeding and artificial "divisional standings" have no bearing on the playoffs.


WESTERN CONFERENCE:

Arizona
Chicago
Dallas
Denver
Detroit (or Indianapolis)
Green Bay
Houston
Kansas City
Minnesota
New Orleans
Oakland
San Diego
San Francisco
Seattle
St. Louis
Tennessee

EASTERN CONFERENCE:

Atlanta
Baltimore
Buffalo
Carolina
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Indianapolis (or Detroit)
Jacksonville
Miami
New England
New York Giants
New York Jets
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington

Yeah or how about 2010 when the 10-6 Buccs miss the playoffs but our good friends the 7-9 Seahawks make it. Worse yet they got home field advantage over the 11-5 Saints. That is the kind of thing that is absurd about the NFL playoffs. Theoretically a 3-13 team could make the playoffs in the unlikely (yet possible) event that the rest of the division goes 2-14.
I think the current system is excellent
reminds me of 1993 when the 100+ win SF Giants missed the playoffs (this was more of the opposite reason though, there were only two divisions in the NL back then and Atlanta was stupidly still in the NL west, yet because they had 1 more win the Braves made the NLCS)
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,066
Were you playing with your wee wee while you were in the shower?
Originally posted by DirtyP:
I think the current system is excellent

I agree. Football is not like baseball or basketball where you play a bunch of games and hope you make the right rotation and set the right lineups over the course. The better team should win those series'. Football is about being better that day. That's why a crappy team from a crappy division like the Seahawks or Cardinals can win the Superbowl.