There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can Randy Moss & Alex Smith pull this off.....

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
189.5 YPG, 18 TD, 13 INT

....Tom Brady 2001* stats

*year of the tuck rule

Yes, Alex had a better statistical season than Brady did that year. But Brady didn't benefit from having an amazing defense that season the way Alex did this season...

Oh wait...
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Aaron Rodgers Disagree's with Alex being a game manager, you don't throw for that many times he said and just manage the game, he's just a real smart guy who doesn't make costly int's! . I'll take a guy that plays the spot, rather than the arm chair qb!

Aaron is 1 Alex's friend 2 not allowed to bad mouth another qb (please refer to Alex's comment to see how that works out) and 3 trying to avoid giving the 9ers locker room material.

At least that's the counter to the comment.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Okay...if Trent is the standard for "Game Manager" in what area does Alex suck so bad that he can be compared, considering what I just highlighted?

Im not comparing the two but the career numbers are pretty similar.
Originally posted by susweel:
Okay...if Trent is the standard for "Game Manager" in what area does Alex suck so bad that he can be compared, considering what I just highlighted?

Actually, the comment was originally directed towards the show that made the comment. It just happens to agree with what you normally say.

That said, most people when they refer to game managers, trent dilfer is the example. Not a great QB but not so bad that if the rest of your team is amazing that you can't win. Alex has had a better season last year than Trent ever had in his career. I could also argue that last year was the first time that Alex was working with nearly as much talent as Dilfer had in his superbowl run with the Ravens...I say nearly because Alex was throwing to PS WRs at the end of the season. I'm not going to bother to go into the whole "the offense was learning the playbook" thing which we all know to be true. This year will make it clear if Alex is going to be the real deal or if last season was a fluke / coach hiding his QB's weaknesses...but again it didn't look like Alex had many weaknesses in the play-offs.
i still don't get why being a "game manager" is a big deal.

Actually, the comment was originally directed towards the show that made the comment. It just happens to agree with what you normally say.

That said, most people when they refer to game managers, trent dilfer is the example. Not a great QB but not so bad that if the rest of your team is amazing that you can't win. Alex has had a better season last year than Trent ever had in his career. I could also argue that last year was the first time that Alex was working with nearly as much talent as Dilfer had in his superbowl run with the Ravens...I say nearly because Alex was throwing to PS WRs at the end of the season. I'm not going to bother to go into the whole "the offense was learning the playbook" thing which we all know to be true. This year will make it clear if Alex is going to be the real deal or if last season was a fluke / coach hiding his QB's weaknesses...but again it didn't look like Alex had many weaknesses in the play-offs.

yah if you dont call not converting third downs a weakness.

yah if you dont call not converting third downs a weakness.

Absolutely right. Since Gore had a worse conversion % on 3rd downs than Alex it is no wonder we spent a 2nd round pick to replace him, right? Or maybe 3rd downs are a function of the team and not just one person?
That's only if Alex unloads, He only threw deep once to moss I can think of durning the preseason, and it was triple coverage. Moss will be open up to Alex to see it and have the balls to throw it and trust him.

I agree. I think these should be the biggest question marks. In the past when Moss was covered . . . he wasn't really covered. He could turn on the jets, use his body or just elevate over defenders to grab the ball. Rumor is he is still fast, but is he still as explosive? On the other side of the coin, Alex has not had much luck with receivers making the most out of 50/50 balls. It usually ends up with Alex looking bad and getting flamed. Will he have the desire to throw those balls out there or will he stick with the safest play, a.k.a. check down? Can't wait to see.
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:
I saw a stat the other day that was interesting. we only had 6 plays over 40 yard in the regular seasons. That doesnt work! Randy was brought here to fix that among other things. If they cant do it, put in someone who can!

Wow. That seems really low. I can almost count 6 plays that were runs/screens that went 40 yards.
Originally posted by captnkos:
That's only if Alex unloads, He only threw deep once to moss I can think of durning the preseason, and it was triple coverage. Moss will be open up to Alex to see it and have the balls to throw it and trust him.

I agree. I think these should be the biggest question marks. In the past when Moss was covered . . . he wasn't really covered. He could turn on the jets, use his body or just elevate over defenders to grab the ball. Rumor is he is still fast, but is he still as explosive? On the other side of the coin, Alex has not had much luck with receivers making the most out of 50/50 balls. It usually ends up with Alex looking bad and getting flamed. Will he have the desire to throw those balls out there or will he stick with the safest play, a.k.a. check down? Can't wait to see.

Being at the game, that was Alex seemingly going off the script. From the snap of the ball he was going to Randy the entire time and he was joking before and after the play with Moss about it.

Remember who our coach is... it may be considered an Alexcuse, but Harbaugh doesnt want to put anything on preseason film that he hasnt already thought about. So if this team is planning to open it up a little bit more with Moss and MM, it stands to reason that they would avoid longball plays in preseason playcalling. And if Ginn had hands like a real receiver, Alex would have had about 3 or 4 more 40+ yard throws. There was also a longball to VD that went right through his hands, cant remember who they were playing but I lost my fantasy game by 3 points because VD didnt hold onto the pass.

Ive always thought that if Alex can get some love from his receiver at the beginning of a game, he does very well. But if his receivers drop a couple easy passes in the beginning, Alex starts trying to hard and gets a little wild for a series... before turtling up and only throwing checkdowns. All he needs is his receiver to catch the easy ones early and he will be fine if games turn into shootouts. Most recent examples are comparing the saints game to the giants game.
Originally posted by captnkos:

Yep. And to answer, it all comes down to the many practices kept rather quiet. Right now, we don't know where Alex's trust factor is with these guys (other than VD)... but Alex knows. I think.. my hope... is that Alex and Moss are gonna have a big year. And if they start out hot? Then VD may take the baton from Moss and have the big year... and if defenses start keying on both? Then Crabtree or Gore or Rio may have the big year... and if...
Aaron Rodgers Disagree's with Alex being a game manager, you don't throw for that many times he said and just manage the game, he's just a real smart guy who doesn't make costly int's! . I'll take a guy that plays the spot, rather than the arm chair qb!

Aaron is 1 Alex's friend 2 not allowed to bad mouth another qb (please refer to Alex's comment to see how that works out) and 3 trying to avoid giving the 9ers locker room material.

Agree but I also think Aaron respects him because he's watched alex his whole career. You know rodgers thanks god for not getting that oline for 7 years and get the crap knocked out of him. I think Alex with protection can move the ball, and when the games on the line he seems to make those his most important throws.

Agree but I also think Aaron respects him because he's watched alex his whole career. You know rodgers thanks god for not getting that oline for 7 years and get the crap knocked out of him. I think Alex with protection can move the ball, and when the games on the line he seems to make those his most important throws.

he said it because he still secretly wishes he were playing for the niners.

Aaron Rogers has the worst o-line in the league, and still managers to be the #1 player in the NFL as voted by his peers.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Aaron Rogers has the worst o-line in the league, and still managers to be the #1 player in the NFL as voted by his peers.

A vet QB that learned for years and played for more years under the same scheme with much of the same personnel... yeah, I think I can safely say that this vet QB can overcome more than other QBs. Established QBs with years of solid structure can handle more than other QBs that have had their learning stunted and flailing for years in organizational misery. If Alex progresses over the next 2-3 years, he too would be able to handle a more terrible OL... but through the development years, we need that competent OL and receiver play to get him to that level.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home