There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Football Gameplan's 2012 Niners vs Packers Video Preview

I liked the video, but I think the Pack definitely have an edge at WR. We're much improved and I think we'll see development from most of the young guys, Crabtree and Williams in particular. And I think Moss has another good couple years left at least - he's never had a major injury and his skillset is such that he should be able to adapt as he slows down (although reports are he ran a 4.3 at his workout), but his last seasons wasn't exactly incredible and I'd like to see him return to form before anointing the Niners WRs. IMO the Pack have the best group in the league and it isn't that close (but I also like their young guys a lot).

And the Niners definitely (this is an understatement) have an edge on the DL.

Raji had a good rookie year, disappeared last year and overall has been up and down. He's only one guy. Pickett can be a solid run defender if he's healthy. He has missed a lot of time lately and is on the wrong side of 30 and weighs at least 350lbs. The Packers run defense has been quite horrible lately and their DL is a large reason why. And they aren't getting much pressure on the QB.

Meanwhile the Niners get pressure on the QB with just their DL and still play disciplined football. RJF could start for a lot of teams and has filled in many times for the Niners and we never miss a beat at NT (which probably isn't his best position naturally).

Justin Smith is arguably the best defensive player in the league and Ray McDonald gets outstanding pressure and plays the run too. He does get dinged but he's healthy for the time being. And even while dinged last year played well. He's also on the right side of 30. Justin Smith is one of those guys who never ages. Favre like, except @ DL.

I have tremendous confidence in him playing for just about as long as he wants to and playing well. Soap is soap. Solid, not amazing, but he doesn't make mistakes either. And good luck pushing him off the line.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Sep 7, 2012 at 12:45 AM ]
Originally posted by strat1080:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I love the addition of Cedric Benson too, think of it this way, who would you rather see with the ball...Benson, or Rodgers? Me I hope they try to "establish" the run, because those are lost downs against this defense. Every touch for Benson, is one less attempt for Rodgers!

The thing is the Packers have changed their philosophy in the run game. You're only going to see runs if Rodgers thinks there's a defensive look that can be exploited. The Packers are going to predominantly show a pass look but if the Safeties are backing off, Rodgers is going to audible to a run. Benson has looked pretty good in the preseason. This 49ers defense has only seen one offense that can compare to Green Bay and they gave up almost 500 yards and 32 points to them.

It took 60+ throws to get to 460 yards....that's about 7.5 yards an attempt which is less than the 8.3 YPA he put up during the regular season. We held them to 17 points for 56 minutes of the game before those big plays happened.

I just can't see GB replicating playoff Saints offense in week 1....and EVEN IF THEY COULD, still no guarantee that that would win the ballgame.

This will be a great game to watch from the point of the view of the trenches between the players and the chess match between Mike McCarthy & Vic Fangio...
Good stuff Em.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I love the addition of Cedric Benson too, think of it this way, who would you rather see with the ball...Benson, or Rodgers? Me I hope they try to "establish" the run, because those are lost downs against this defense. Every touch for Benson, is one less attempt for Rodgers!

The thing is the Packers have changed their philosophy in the run game. You're only going to see runs if Rodgers thinks there's a defensive look that can be exploited. The Packers are going to predominantly show a pass look but if the Safeties are backing off, Rodgers is going to audible to a run. Benson has looked pretty good in the preseason. This 49ers defense has only seen one offense that can compare to Green Bay and they gave up almost 500 yards and 32 points to them.

It took 60+ throws to get to 460 yards....that's about 7.5 yards an attempt which is less than the 8.3 YPA he put up during the regular season. We held them to 17 points for 56 minutes of the game before those big plays happened.

I just can't see GB replicating playoff Saints offense in week 1....and EVEN IF THEY COULD, still no guarantee that that would win the ballgame.

This will be a great game to watch from the point of the view of the trenches between the players and the chess match between Mike McCarthy & Vic Fangio...

Green Bay put up 42 points against the Saints week one last season. Granted the Saints D isn't the Niners D. But it proves Green Bay is likely to have a potent offense right out of the gate, I think you under estimate GB. It will take a monumental effort to win Sunday.
Way more prolific than the Packers? Dude the Packers scored 35 PPG. The 2nd most in NFL history behind just the 2007 Patriots. The Packers outscored the Saints head to head and led the game by 15+ points for most of the 4th quarter.

You clearly know nothing about football. Teams don't blitz Rodgers all day. That will get you killed by 30 points. Rodgers is the #1 QB against the blitz in the NFL. Last year his QB Rating was 137 against the blitz. Nobody else even came close.

You want to talk football, then talk football. Another snide remark like "you clearly know nothing about football" and we will have a little falling out.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Green Bay put up 42 points against the Saints week one last season. Granted the Saints D isn't the Niners D. But it proves Green Bay is likely to have a potent offense right out of the gate, I think you under estimate GB. It will take a monumental effort to win Sunday.

For me, the biggest factor is if the 49ers get their running game going, regardless of what Rodgers does, it will keep him off the field and slow him down...take the crowd out of the game. The turnovers are also going to play a big part. With a high risk, high flying passing offense, the Packers are prone to mistakes. Rodgers is very accurate, and is doesn't make many mistakes. But if you get some pressure on him, he looks very human. The key is not to sell out our coverage. The 49ers have the rare ability to get pressure in a base formation without sending extra guys. They should move Aldon Smith around to get favorable matchups and rush from all different directions. They should occasionally send Willis, run stunts behind the line so Aldon comes down the middle, Willis comes around the outside, that type of stuff.

Obviously our secondary has to come up big. If Aldon and Justin Smith get consistent pressure, it will make their job a lot easier. If they don't get beat over the top, they can give up chunks of yards in front of them.
This 49ers defense has only seen one offense that can compare to Green Bay and they gave up almost 500 yards and 32 points to them.
And WON the game!! Go count your yardage in your Fantasy Football league
This is probably the only analyst giving us a puncher's chance! I know it is week 1 on the road in Lambeau, but Jim hasn't let us go into any of our 18 contests last year without putting up a hell of a fight. The only game we were not at our best was the BAL game where we had practically 1 day to prepare. We brought our A game every week. EVERY WEEK!! Expect our best and expect a hell of a game, one with as someone said earlier, monumental effort
i dont think their d line is as good as ours tho. but good analysis
Originally posted by denali22:
good job! and nice pick

I hate to brag but I dont think GBs DLine is even comparable to the 49ers with Justin Smith and Ray McDonald. Hell, I'd take the cardinals DLine over GB. And sadly I think the GB WR's outclass us BIGTIME. Even if we have moss and manningham, I'd take the GB recievers in a heartbeat.

I think we showed the world last year we could score points and compete with a offensive juggernaut team. The saints last year was way more prolific than GB. Brees/Sproles/Graham with their strong offensive line was a formidable opponent. The Packers even with Benson is still very one demensional and their offensive line is looking terrible. I hope we blitz Rodgers all day and should get alteast 4-5 sacks.

To be fair, we did have 5 turnovers, some to even take points off the board. If the Saints had 5 turnovers it would have been a blow out.

I'm not really sure why screens would be that effective against a team that only rushes 4? Screens are good against pure blitzs, not 4 and 3 man pressure. The reason why the Niners are so tough on D is because its hard to find mismatches. Willis can run with TEs, Bowman can follow great RBs and we get serious pressure with our front 4. Basically, our nickle package can play with anyone, Saints being the most difficult challenge (Sproles&Graham).

I'm suprised dude picked Niners, nothing in the analysis suggested the Niners would win...
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM ]
Interesting with all the love Emdiggy is getting --- wonder if it has to do with his pick with the Niners. If he had picked the Packers, you guys wouldve been all over him.
Probably has to do with him being here season after season and not coming over just before a game to talk trash...
Thanks Emdiggy, Good Job!! So tired of the mainstream media, your videos are refreshing
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by WINiner:

For me, the biggest factor is if the 49ers get their running game going, regardless of what Rodgers does, it will keep him off the field and slow him down...take the crowd out of the game. The turnovers are also going to play a big part. With a high risk, high flying passing offense, the Packers are prone to mistakes. Rodgers is very accurate, and is doesn't make many mistakes. But if you get some pressure on him, he looks very human. The key is not to sell out our coverage. The 49ers have the rare ability to get pressure in a base formation without sending extra guys. They should move Aldon Smith around to get favorable matchups and rush from all different directions. They should occasionally send Willis, run stunts behind the line so Aldon comes down the middle, Willis comes around the outside, that type of stuff.

Obviously our secondary has to come up big. If Aldon and Justin Smith get consistent pressure, it will make their job a lot easier. If they don't get beat over the top, they can give up chunks of yards in front of them.

Bottom line, you only get so many snaps in a game, say around 65, on a good day, I am more worried about what Arron Rodgers can do with the ball than what Cedric Benson can with it. So yea, please give Benson 30 carries...cause that's less attempts for Arron, and I know we can stop the run...
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Probably has to do with him being here season after season and not coming over just before a game to talk trash...

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home