There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Celek over Reuland

Originally posted by sfout:
Celek is faster and Reuland cant ran after the catch. Reuland could be the ultimate safety valve but the team would basically only get the yards up to where Reuland caught it.

During one of the preseason games I thought I heard Tim Ryan say that was Reuland's biggest problem.

if that were the case sounds like reuland is a better first down and redzone threat but celek is the better vertical threat

if celek is that athlethic he will see a lot of 1 on 1 coverage which he should be able to beat.

only problem is that walker and VD will see field ahead of him not too many vertical plays of 3 TE sets
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by sfout:
Celek is faster and Reuland cant ran after the catch. Reuland could be the ultimate safety valve but the team would basically only get the yards up to where Reuland caught it.

During one of the preseason games I thought I heard Tim Ryan say that was Reuland's biggest problem.

if that were the case sounds like reuland is a better first down and redzone threat but celek is the better vertical threat

if celek is that athlethic he will see a lot of 1 on 1 coverage which he should be able to beat.

only problem is that walker and VD will see field ahead of him not too many vertical plays of 3 TE sets

pretty accurate but that is the whole wrinkle of it. Imagine if were in the middle of game and Celek hasn't been on the field for a couple of games and we go jumbo with 3 TEs on the field and all of a sudden Celek is open about 15-20 yards down the field with the d playing against the run. Maybe that leads to a TD, or just a big gainer but it's just the fact that it could happen that will make it interesting.

JH's constant threat of different wrinkles of our schemes coming out is really going to piss off coaches when they have to spend so much time game planning, its like one of the players said in an article last week. "when coaches have to spend an extra 30 minutes watching what plays happen when a 300 pound DL come in at FB it pisses them off because it takes away from more important things" - paraphrasing of course but thats what someone said in an interview last week.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM ]
what's celek's first name?
I read somewhere, maybe on this board, that Celek was the best TE at reading defenses and finding "soft spots" or openings in the defense to get into and get open, and that neither VD nor Delanie are especially good at this (but are way better at other things). So Celek gives the team, and Alex Smith, something that hasn't been available for awhile, a TE he can rely on as a safety valve on third downs.

What's interesting, to me, is that, if true, this wasn't the only personnel decision that was made that at least partially helps Alex Smith as well.

Per Matt Barrows, in Sunday's Bee, they also kept Tolzien because of his ability and willingness to help Alex Smith prepare every week by reviewing film, analysing opposing defenses, etc. Tolzien being the "gym rat" he is, he goes over film that Smith may not have time to see, and then fills Smith in on any weaknesses he sees. He also, according to him, acts as another set of eyes for Smith during games.

Interesting to see a coaching staff doing everything they can to improve the offense.
I like Rueland, but he does not have the skills to make plays once he catches the ball ...Celek has the skills to get YAC, and that is what will help us win games
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Per Matt Barrows, in Sunday's Bee, they also kept Tolzien because of his ability and willingness to help Alex Smith prepare every week by reviewing film, analysing opposing defenses, etc. Tolzien being the "gym rat" he is, he goes over film that Smith may not have time to see, and then fills Smith in on any weaknesses he sees. He also, according to him, acts as another set of eyes for Smith during games.

This is exactly the kind of stuff only coaches are really privy to when fans get all up in arms about another 3rd stringer being cut. Point is, a lot of stuff goes into all these decisions and most of the stuff is only known behind closed doors or to those very close to the situation. Fans, especially in NT, are so goddamned irritating with their knee-jerk reactions and armchair GMing. Our team is not going to make every decision right, but we should give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove themselves incompetent. They just have way more info on these guys than we do.
[]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
This is exactly the kind of stuff only coaches are really privy to when fans get all up in arms about another 3rd stringer being cut. Point is, a lot of stuff goes into all these decisions and most of the stuff is only known behind closed doors or to those very close to the situation. Fans, especially in NT, are so goddamned irritating with their knee-jerk reactions and armchair GMing. Our team is not going to make every decision right, but we should give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove themselves incompetent. They just have way more info on these guys than we do.

Originally posted by AmpLee:

Yes, nice post indeed. Even I have succumbed to such criticisms, conclusions, and reactions at times... but I certainly try not to do it often or go to extremes with it. Being that we are on the outside looking in, I think it's okay to express some doubts here and there on a forum. It's part of what forums are about, really. Problem is when.. like you say, people go way overboard on their reactions and conclusions made.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Yes, nice post indeed. Even I have succumbed to such criticisms, conclusions, and reactions at times... but I certainly try not to do it often or go to extremes with it. Being that we are on the outside looking in, I think it's okay to express some doubts here and there on a forum. It's part of what forums are about, really. Problem is when.. like you say, people go way overboard on their reactions and conclusions made.

Good follow up post
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
I read somewhere, maybe on this board, that Celek was the best TE at reading defenses and finding "soft spots" or openings in the defense to get into and get open, and that neither VD nor Delanie are especially good at this (but are way better at other things). So Celek gives the team, and Alex Smith, something that hasn't been available for awhile, a TE he can rely on as a safety valve on third downs.

What's interesting, to me, is that, if true, this wasn't the only personnel decision that was made that at least partially helps Alex Smith as well.

Interesting to see a coaching staff doing everything they can to improve the offense.

This is not a tolzien thread, but the same article also stated that Tolzien can rapidly learn offenses and will do a better job playing Aaron rodgers, matthew stafford, eli manning to help the defense prep for the high powered offenses. I read that and say the choice was obvious at #3
yards after the catch
The team uses all sorts of extra lineman in big packages. What the sense of a blocking TE like Reuland when your going to put in Leonard Davis as an extra lineman. Celek can make some plays in the passing game if Walker or Davis go down.
i dont curr about scrubs
The good news for both Reuland and Byham,they will both be on NFL rosters this yr..
3rd - 4th string. I would say special team value made the difference