There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Celek over Reuland

Anyone know why the coaches picked Celek over Reuland (AKA Garbage Man) to make the 53 man roster? Love the fact that someone came out of nowhere to get picked over someone else, but was there a tremendous improvement of his skills or a need that lead to him getting picked up?
Originally posted by deepniner:
Anyone know why the coaches picked Celek over Reuland (AKA Garbage Man) to make the 53 man roster? Love the fact that someone came out of nowhere to get picked over someone else, but was there a tremendous improvement of his skills or a need that lead to him getting picked up?

Maybe they felt Celek could actually get open more often than Reuland and be a more physical player?
Originally posted by deepniner:

He's a better blocker, which is what a third TE mostly does.
It seemed to me from watching the preseason games Celek was the better all around TE. It didn't help that Reuland didn't seem to be able to do anything after the catch. I think it was Celek's wide open catch in San Diego game that sealed it.
My guess.. Just as decent hands but quicker and faster....?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Just my observations:

Reuland has no ability after the catch. He's slow, stiff, and soft. He does a great job getting open underneath and making tough catches.

Celek's hands aren't as good as Reuland, but he appears to be a better vertical threat. He seems to be able to produce more after the catch.

I didn't watch their blocking close enough to compare. I'd imagine this was the deciding factor considering what we know about the role of the third TE.
Personally liked Reuland more than Celek, but it's not a move that I will lament over for long. I didn't see much of Celek that would have won the job.. I though Reuland was the better blocker in preseason, but both were hit-or-miss on this aspect at times. Life goes on... we have more to get ready and be excited for now.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Personally liked Reuland more than Celek, but it's not a move that I will lament over for long. I didn't see much of Celek that would have won the job.. I though Reuland was the better blocker in preseason, but both were hit-or-miss on this aspect at times. Life goes on... we have more to get ready and be excited for now.

Interesting.

No point in speculating, I suppose.

You're right that it's not exactly the most crucial position on the team. If Dobbs is healthy, Celek probably won't even be active, IMO.

Anyway... I R EXCITE!
Celek must have looked better in practice
Cuz he's gonna be as good as his brother Brent.
how athlethic is celek? is he as athlethic as his brother?
upside.

Reuland catches everything but has no YAC capability.

Celek is like his brother with but with sh**ty hands. if he improves on that, he's a steal.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Sep 4, 2012 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
how athlethic is celek? is he as athlethic as his brother?

Garrett has a little more speed than does Reuland or his brother Brent. All of them appear to have similar athleticism, which is rather average (decent for TEs).
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Celek is faster and Reuland cant ran after the catch. Reuland could be the ultimate safety valve but the team would basically only get the yards up to where Reuland caught it.

During one of the preseason games I thought I heard Tim Ryan say that was Reuland's biggest problem.
Harbaugh coahced Reuland at Stanford and the Niners. He knows what he has with Rueland and obviously felt he is maxxed out on his potential.

Celek on the other hand sends a message to players, continuously improve or you will be replaced. Celek was a blocker in college, and the coaches obviously feel he can be a threat as a receiver also, in the rare situation they throw to him.

I love that an UDFA made the 53 man roster that was deep. I think the NFL blood lines also had a small impact on the decision.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home