There are 138 users in the forums

Our weakest area?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Our weakest area?

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Tom Brady has FIVE STINKING YEARS every play to throw the ball. And Rogers, Rothlesburger, and some others have at least four years. Our pass protection is our weakest area and has been for a decade. It will be better this year though, its been a work in progress.

That's simply not true. I've seen guys come unblocked at Brady and he just turns and makes a throw in a second. I've seen his line destroyed and he just steps up and makes a throw on a dime just before getting hit. When he makes these plays, nobody talks about the poor play by their O-line. The only times people talk about the O-line is when the quarterback is unable to make a play.
The O-line makes a quarterbacks job easier, not "possible" or "impossible".

Would you agree that something like this takes more time than one season with no offseason? From all angles, the oline, the WR, the QB? They were still installing a brand new offense. Brady has trust that his receivers are going to be where they are supposed to be. I don't think Alex has gotten that chance his whole entire NFL career. I really think this will come with time.

Sure, anything gets better with time, and it has. Smith has gotten better in the pocket, but we shouldn't be comparing him to Tom Brady. He is not Tom Brady.
Definitely o-line.

Last year, it was one of the statistically worse offensive lines in the league. This year, we have a RG who is playing out of position and who happens to be our backup OT on both sides. Hopefully the skill level has improved overall and we can stay healthy.
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Definitely o-line.

Last year, it was one of the statistically worse offensive lines in the league. This year, we have a RG who is playing out of position and who happens to be our backup OT on both sides. Hopefully the skill level has improved overall and we can stay healthy.

The O-line will be the second strongest unit on the team this year, behind the linebackers obviously.
The O-line will be the second strongest unit on the team this year, behind the linebackers obviously.

Hopefully. I don't see a whole lot of reason for optimism considering our center is the same/older.

And even if they improve ten-fold, I don't see how they can be better than our linebacking corps, defensive line, tight end unit, running backs, etc.

Hopefully. I don't see a whole lot of reason for optimism considering our center is the same/older.

And even if they improve ten-fold, I don't see how they can be better than our linebacking corps, defensive line, tight end unit, running backs, etc.

The center is the weakest link right now. They were physically destroying people in the running game during the preseason. Boone, Iupati and Anthony Davis are amazing run blockers, and Staley is very good at walling off and getting to the second level.
On film, there were only 2-3 pass breakdowns that I could see by the O-line, the rest was scheme, TE's, RB's and QB errors. The major hole is gone (Rachal), that is where most of the pass protection breakdowns occurred last year. Boone is a crap load better at guard than I ever thought possible.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 4, 2012 at 10:25 PM ]

I'm hoping the theory of the weakest link being stronger holds true this year. Last year it was RG, this year it will likely be C...which will mean an improvement. Just worry about them jelling and staying healthy. At this time last year I really thought Rachal would have a light come on by mid season...didn't expect a power failure!
Right side of the O-Line is the weakest part, or at least the part that I have the biggest question mark about
Boone is trying something new and Davis has been the weaklink of the O-Line.(in comparison to the rest of the line)
MLB
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Defensive depth. 49ers were real lucky with injuries on that side of the ball last year. Remember the 1st 2 games w/o Goldson?
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
cheerleaders with booty

This X10. Im with you on this Blizz.

Originally posted by FL9er:
Defensive depth. 49ers were real lucky with injuries on that side of the ball last year. Remember the 1st 2 games w/o Goldson?

Madieu Williams at FS ...Not Good ..even though he was decent on ST

hopefully our tackles stay healthy all season , even though moving Boone to tackle and L.Davis to RG would keep us competitive if Joe or AD get hurt
I have to believe the coaches are happy with at least one backup moving to OT in a pinch. Staley has been injured in the past (bad back) and Boone would likely be the first to move, but then what? So they must have faith in one of the other guys moving over.
It's a toss up between our fans, and our run game!

Never speak of weakness to me again!

GO NINERS!
1 = oline, too many breakdowns and have problems with blitz pickups.

2 = wr, this group has the most to prove this season. Almost no seperation, no broken tackles for YAC, and too many lazy routes.

3 = qb, Alex must take his game to the next level this year. I believe that Jim will allow him to take more chances this season with the addition of new wr's.

4 = D as a whole. They are this teams strength for the most part but there is a big but. The D has a tendency to give up big time plays and has trouble holding leads against better qb's/teams. Playoff game against the Saints/Brees is a perfect example. D played very good for most of the game but then imploded when it counted. If not for Alex and the O, we lose that game.

Lost post
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone