There are 177 users in the forums

Our weakest area?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Our weakest area?

Btw, Giants fans told me recently that their obsession with pass rushers came from the 2002 wildcard game and being unable to get after Garcia late in the game.

Sometimes painful wounds serve a purpose.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Pass protection is decent the problem is the QB hesitates to much and doesn't deliver the ball on time.

just doesn't get old, does it?

i have to agree with Susweel on this one. I mean when Alex does have the time, he is afraid to throw it. Watching the Baltimore game when we had a receiver WIDE open and Alex doesn't throw it because he's playing afraid to make a mistake.
hard to tell at the moment but the three points mentioned in the poll: WR, QB, Secondary will have opposing teams spend more days scheming to get the upper hand after looking at pre season games. After week 3 is when we'll see a better picture, by then the team would have gel and anything that needs fixing will be more evident.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Just warning you...sweet talk and before you know it...cigarettes in the morning!
Qb! Production needs to be almost doubled in all areas. If we can even get average maybe a little above average qb play. We could be historicly good!
area49
we have what is the equivalent of three backup QBs on the roster
OLB..... We have 2 and 1 more we got off the scrap heap from some other team.
Tom Brady has FIVE STINKING YEARS every play to throw the ball. And Rogers, Rothlesburger, and some others have at least four years. Our pass protection is our weakest area and has been for a decade. It will be better this year though, its been a work in progress.

Originally posted by WeAreLegend:
Tom Brady has FIVE STINKING YEARS every play to throw the ball. And Rogers, Rothlesburger, and some others have at least four years. Our pass protection is our weakest area and has been for a decade. It will be better this year though, its been a work in progress.

And these guys never get blitzed because they shred the defense every time they send an extra guy.

Alex has a good rating versus The blitz but I tend to believe its because he takes a lot of sacks and has trouble finding the open guy when the pressures on and the designed play is well defended.
[ Edited by kush on Sep 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM ]

That's simply not true. I've seen guys come unblocked at Brady and he just turns and makes a throw in a second. I've seen his line destroyed and he just steps up and makes a throw on a dime just before getting hit. When he makes these plays, nobody talks about the poor play by their O-line. The only times people talk about the O-line is when the quarterback is unable to make a play.
The O-line makes a quarterbacks job easier, not "possible" or "impossible".
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 4, 2012 at 9:03 PM ]
I'd have to say pass protection and Alex's ability to improvise.
Originally posted by kush:

And these guys never get blitzed because they shred the defense every time they send an extra guy.

Alex has a good rating versus The blitz but I tend to believe its because he takes a lot of sacks and has trouble finding the open guy when the pressures on and the designed play is well defended.

Alex has no problem with accuracy, arm strength, touch, reads, understanding the offense, athleticism, strength or anything like that. His only issue, like most quarterbacks, is feeling where and when to move around in the pocket. It's probably the most difficult skill in all of sports.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 4, 2012 at 9:08 PM ]
  • Jiks
Originally posted by BrianGO:

That's simply not true. I've seen guys come unblocked at Brady and he just turns and makes a throw in a second. I've seen his line destroyed and he just steps up and makes a throw on a dime just before getting hit. When he makes these plays, nobody talks about the poor play by their O-line. The only times people talk about the O-line is when the quarterback is unable to make a play.
The O-line makes a quarterbacks job easier, not "possible" or "impossible".

Would you agree that something like this takes more time than one season with no offseason? From all angles, the oline, the WR, the QB? They were still installing a brand new offense. Brady has trust that his receivers are going to be where they are supposed to be. I don't think Alex has gotten that chance his whole entire NFL career. I really think this will come with time.
Share 49ersWebzone