LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 207 users in the forums

Our weakest area?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Our weakest area?

IMO, our secondary as far as coverage. We have a physical secondary and I think their strengths are hitting and being physical. Great at helping with the run. I think Whitner struggles in coverage sometimes and Goldson gambles quite a bit. Also, I don't know if Rogers will have another year like last. That may have been a career year for the guy. But, our coverage is still above average and I'm happy with it. Could be a lot worse obviously. I want to see Culliver progress this year.
Originally posted by sacniner:
IMO, our secondary as far as coverage. We have a physical secondary and I think their strengths are hitting and being physical. Great at helping with the run. I think Whitner struggles in coverage sometimes and Goldson gambles quite a bit. Also, I don't know if Rogers will have another year like last. That may have been a career year for the guy. But, our coverage is still above average and I'm happy with it. Could be a lot worse obviously. I want to see Culliver progress this year.

I would rank the secondary the second weakest area on the 49ers. I still think the offense of wine is rather weak especially if one of our tackles goes down.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by taney71:
Online. Easy.
of course this is the answer. we did nothing to fix this but cut two bums, sign davis, draft a kid with a busted foot and hope for better things
If we remain completely healthy, I'd say OLB or OL. It remains to be seen how we do at OLB with Aldon Smith starting full time. In theory, his presence alone should open up things for other players, but that remains to be seen.
QB by far. Not sure how people are ranking OLB depth as our weakest position, sounds like a cop out.
Originally posted by jreff22:
OLB-OT

depth

Winner.
T1. SECONDARY.
T1. PASS PROTECTION.

/Thread
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
QB by far. Not sure how people are ranking OLB depth as our weakest position, sounds like a cop out.

you got a quarterback on this team that helped lead us to 14 wins and that was despite the fact he was playing behind a offensive line that was terrible for 3/4 of the year. I will assume the predictable response will be ,,, it was all special teams and defense
Originally posted by cciowa:
you got a quarterback on this team that helped lead us to 14 wins and that was despite the fact he was playing behind a offensive line that was terrible for 3/4 of the year. I will assume the predictable response will be ,,, it was all special teams and defense

Yeah, but what has he done lately? Didn't even let him pass in the SD game...shows how little faith JH has in him! He is the suxorz!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Yeah, but what has he done lately? Didn't even let him pass in the SD game...shows how little faith JH has in him! He is the suxorz!
you are right. sometimes you expect to much of me

Originally posted by Bootlegger:

Originally posted by dtg_9er:

you are right. sometimes you expect to much of me

in an effort to not turn this into a you know who thread, I'm not going to bother responding to your typical derailing response.
I would go broader - until this team proves otherwise, our weakest area is the passing attack. Yes, the protection was bad at the beginning of 2011, but it improved. I suspect it will be much better this year with a better RG. But the ability of the attack to gouge the other team with pass plays was almost non-existant last year. Until our receivers can get clear down field and the QB can deliver a strike on a deeper route, the passing game will be the handicap of the team. They have to do more than dump offs and crossing routes underneath. This limited passing attack allows the defense to crowd down and contain the running the game. Until there is true balance with a real passing attack (as a unit, Oline, receivers, and QB), the weakness will be the offense.
Secondary.
  • Jiks
Time... I think it's still going to take 4-6 weeks for this offense and this crap QB to get into sync. We are still in the building stages of this offense and to expect them to come out on all cylinders is asking a little much.

As far as positions go, probably backup QB. Kaepernick hasn't shown anything more than Nate Davis who you all loved and cherished beyond what you did for your wife and kids. So seeing how you are always wrong about everything I say Kaepernick on that sole reason.
Share 49ersWebzone