Williams
Moss

My Depth Chart Wish:
A.J.
Manningham
Crabs
Williams
Moss

I don't include Ginn because he's a WR in-name-only and won't be used as a WR unless we have a rash of injuries. Bring it!

did you always hate Randy Moss?
I don't hate Randy Moss. As I stated before, JH stated that his play count will be defined. Under those circumstances I cannot see his roll being anything close to what most seem think it'll be. I think the usage of Moss will decline steadily as A.J. gets more reps. Period! I don't mean to be incendiary or anything (and I apologize if I come off that way); it's just how I feel. You may not agree with it but it is logical nonetheless.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I don't hate Randy Moss. As I stated before, JH stated that his play count will be defined. Under those circumstances I cannot see his roll being anything close to what most seem think it'll be. I think the usage of Moss will decline steadily as A.J. gets more reps. Period! I don't mean to be incendiary or anything (and I apologize if I come off that way); it's just how I feel. You may not agree with it but it is logical nonetheless.

Your Game 1 WR Depth Chart is wrong
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

Yeah, aj is too high
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

You may be right. A.J. could be too low
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Manningham and Crabtree. I think we might see Moss only 2-3 plays per drive and in the red zone.

Whenever Moss is in on a passing play, I bet he is the first option. Alex looks to see what coverage is on his side. If Moss is double/tripled, then Crabs/Manningham/Davis/Walker s is singled somewhere. At some point during the game, the defense will need to double one of the other guys and leave Moss in single coverage. Thats where Alex will change the play at the the line and take a shot down the field.
Originally posted by boast:
Day 1 WR Depth Chart:
Crabs
Manninham
A.J.
Moss
Williams

Depth Chart by Mid-season:
Crabs
A.J.
Manningham
Williams
Moss

My Depth Chart Wish:
A.J.
Manningham
Crabs
Williams
Moss

I don't include Ginn because he's a WR in-name-only and won't be used as a WR unless we have a rash of injuries. Bring it!

I like Moss in the redzone this year alot
Now that's straw-man action there. Nobody said anything about Ginn being worthless. If he were he certainly wouldn't be on this roster. However, as a WR, his usefulness is minimal at best. Last season, on a team starving for good consistent WR play Ginn was typical Ginn - unavailable, and unremarkable and unreliable when available (again, as a WR). What's there to make me think that Ginn, on a team with a drastically upgraded and deep WR corps, who also drafted a WR in the 1st round of the latest draft, will have a bigger role as WR than last season? Now, strictly as a returner, he's lethal , that is when available. But as a WR?

Well you pretty much said he has no skills as a wide receiver, which is not true. Ted Ginn is not as bad of a WR as you are describing. He hasn't been very productive as a 49er but he was decent on some very awful miami teams. We are fortunate to be so deep at WR that Ted Ginn is actually our worst option.

Jim Harbaugh never stated that. Beat writers said a "source" claimed that to be the case.
[ Edited by DirtyP on Sep 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM ]
Moss in a 2 TE set for openers. Run on te first play.

2nd play - Moss flies down the field and Alex hit VD on a deep crossing route and he takes it to the house.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Now that's straw-man action there. Nobody said anything about Ginn being worthless. If he were he certainly wouldn't be on this roster. However, as a WR, his usefulness is minimal at best. Last season, on a team starving for good consistent WR play Ginn was typical Ginn - unavailable, and unremarkable and unreliable when available (again, as a WR). What's there to make me think that Ginn, on a team with a drastically upgraded and deep WR corps, who also drafted a WR in the 1st round of the latest draft, will have a bigger role as WR than last season? Now, strictly as a returner, he's lethal , that is when available. But as a WR?

Well you pretty much said he has no skills as a wide receiver, which is not true. Ted Ginn is not as bad of a WR as you are describing. He hasn't been very productive as a 49er but he was decent on some very awful miami teams. We are fortunate to be so deep at WR that Ted Ginn is actually our worst option.
Then what does it say for a guy when an "awful" team didn't want him? Look, I'm not saying that Ginn is trash, but that he's a roll player, so while technically he's a WR returning kicks is the roll that best fit him and this team. Totally agree with the last sentence.

Jim Harbaugh never stated that. Beat writers said a "source" claimed that to be the case.
Got me there. But it's something that's definitely out there, something quit important I haven't heard JH refute either. But JH &Co. are ultra secretive about everything so I suspect that JH isn't happy that's out there. Nonetheless, it is an important factor to consider.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Jumbo package with 3 TE's and a run up the middle with Gore. Crabtree, the only WR split out. No question this most likely with be the first play call. And the defense will stack 9 in the box and run blitz between the tackles for a modest 3 yard gain.

Please Lord! No! Not that I expect five receivers but it would be nice to have a pass on first down once in a while. So I'll say Moss and Crabtree with a pass going to MC over the middle after Moss and VD clear.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

Got me there. But it's something that's definitely out there, something quit important I haven't heard JH refute either. But JH &Co. are ultra secretive about everything so I suspect that JH isn't happy that's out there. Nonetheless, it is an important factor to consider.

gotta be true, i tell ya! it's out there and Harbs is mad as hell about it!
Originally posted by boast:
Day 1 WR Depth Chart:
Crabs
Manninham
A.J.
Moss
Williams

Depth Chart by Mid-season:
Crabs
A.J.
Manningham
Williams
Moss

My Depth Chart Wish:
A.J.
Manningham
Crabs
Williams
Moss

I take your word that you don't hate Moss, but then again you never really had a favorable view of him since he signed with the team.

You had Moss low on the depth chart before the unconfirmed "play count circumstance" was reported. Before training camp started, you said you didn't think Moss was even gonna make the team. You also claimed that if he did happen to make the team, he would be the #4 WR at best.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I dont think the "film" on these guys really matters that much. Both are vets that have played long enough for teams to know what they can and cant do.

Well, they know what they did in the past, but they don't know how the niners will use them. Plus, I hope that people won't get disappointed when we don't open it up like they hope. One thing about JH way, I think, if possible they don't want to show the opponents everything if they don't have to. Keep it close, then in the second half open it up if you have to, the reason? It makes it harder to adjust. If you show everything, they can adjust at the half.

So Moss will be brought in for the red zone or 30 yards and in. Any other situation, maybe decoy, then if need to bust out the rest of the playbook.
Share 49ersWebzone