There are 245 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. GREEN BAY PACKERS GAMEDAY THREAD (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I want to see a TD to Moss so badly
i have a feeling we will be running a lot this game

the packers can not stop the run AT ALL i mean at all its literally sad

i think we run 30 times and only pass it maybe around 20-25

i have never seen such a bad run defense in my life
49-0 Niners win
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. We saw a little hint of it in the preseason games. Staley and Iupati on the left, A.Davis and Boone on the right. That's a lot of beef and these guys don't exactly have lead feet either. Pretty nimble. If they stay low, play with leverage, that would be huge holes to run through all day. Then it's playaction, 60 yarder to Moss. Boom!

Also, I think Boone might be nimble enough for a pulling guard. Then you add a couple of TE to the formation, that's a lot of beef to get through before you can get to the runner if you are a defender
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 4, 2012 at 7:15 AM ]

Keep Rodgers off the field,
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

Keep Rodgers off the field,

im actually not too concerned about rodgers the last time (and only) he faced a top 10 defense was cheifs in which he struggled he again had problems against a healthy giantsdefense in the playoffs other than those 2 he faced a many bottom 10 defenses

i think if you put pressure on him he becomes a bit less than spectacular

if we put pressure on him and our CBS have been doingwhat they have been doing last year we will be fine on defensive front

i am a bit worried they hav 2 elite WRs

i always thought jordy nelson was a product of rodgers but he beat joe haden - who is one of the best cover corners in nfl twice on 3 plays
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 4, 2012 at 7:17 AM ]
im actually not too concerned about rodgers the last time (and only) he faced a top 10 defense was cheifs in which he struggled he again had problems against a healthy giantsdefense in the playoffs other than those 2 he faced a many bottom 10 defenses

i think if you put pressure on him he becomes a bit less than spectacular

if we put pressure on him and our CBS have been doingwhat they have been doing last year we will be fine on defensive front

i am a bit worried they hav 2 elite WRs

i always thought jordy nelson was a product of rodgers but he beat joe haden - who is one of the best cover corners in nfl twice on 3 plays

Tarrell Brown. That dude came on towards the second half of last year once he understand and trust what he learned from Fangio's defense. Not a house hold name at CB. But I don't expect him to have a drop off from last year. He might end up better statistically than Carlos Rogers this year.
Justin Smith talking about Tuku playing FB:

"He was crushing people," Justin Smith said. "You didn't even have to see it. You could hear it. I know I wouldn't want to take on a 290-pound fullback. I'm sure Green Bay's hoping he's just a gimmick and (we) won't use him that much. He put some pretty impressive stuff on tape."

I definitley like seeing this match-up now, when the Pack seem to still be a little confused as to where their D is going to go. No matter what that offense is going to get points in the air. The biggest concerns for me are how much pass rush we get with our OLB's starting the season banged up, and what the outside passing attack looks like. If we have good pressure the corners dont have to be perfect, just good and if we can get some production out of our Wideouts on third down it really would improve our chances. I know we are going to be able to run the ball, and I know that we will have some plays with our stacked TE's...but they are going to hit the big play with those wideouts and we need to be able to either match on the offense, or get to Rodger's on the D to get back some yards or even stop the long bomb before it happens. The lower the score is going into the 4th quarter the more excited I am going to get.
Originally posted by bobbyoshea:

Defense:

So here's the deal. A LOT of talk here about our defense last year. We almost never played from behind and a lot of those yards given up were because we were putting up insane numbers, but that's definitely a bit of an excuse. Our defense had a lot of problems (no pass rush from the front seven and everyone double and triple teamed CM3) and gave up a ton of yards. Losing Nick Collins really hurt there and Tramon Williams played with basically one arm. With that said.. we did go 15-1. We've made a ton of changes to the front seven as you all know. Our revamped D-Line (adding Merling and Worthy) plus the addition of Nick Perry will be huge. We finally have guys who can hold the point of attack again, and our LB's can do their thing. With all that said, we were tied for creating more turnovers than any team in the league last year, and are at or near the top the past several years. That is a trend... last year's defense was not. The biggest question will be how our nickel safety does (when Chuck Wood moves down to corner) and how the opposite starting corner will fare (opposite from Williams in the base defense), assuming Alex Smith can put the ball on the money. Two names to look at.. DJ Smith replacing Desmond Bishop at ILB (Smith is a shorter guy but is always around the ball... Dom Capers said he reminds him of Sam Mills) and Dezman Moses at OLB in sub packages.

-Packers fans make sure to stress that the defense gave up yards because they were playing with a lead but then in the same breath mention the turnovers as if playing with a lead didn't impact those. The reason the Packers got so many turnovers was precisely because they were playing with a lead so much - teams pressed, took risks, passed the ball more and did more reckless things in an attempt to score points. Can't have it both ways - either the defense owns the yards and turnovers or it owns neither.
-LOL on counting on a bunch of rookies to make a noteworthy difference in the first game of the season. Good luck with that.
-LOL at comparing DJ Smith, a backup linebacker forced to start, to Sam Mills. He was a backup for a reason.

Offense:

Aaron Rodgers is scary. As someone who grew up watching #4, to see someone who is even better is unbelievable. Favre was amazing, but Rodgers is a true pro, always looks to get better, and is only 28 years old. Think Tom Brady intangibles with Peyton Manning accuracy, and almost as good an arm as Favre (not quite though). Not being a homer.. this guy is off the charts, and if any of you think it's because of the system he's in you'll be in for an education on Sunday.

Only things that bring our offense down are drops by our receivers/tight ends. Our pass catchers are the deepest in the league, but had a ton of drops last year. Look for us to attack right up the seams in the middle of the field. Jordy Nelson is the best of the group.. he had the quietest 15 touchdown season ever last year and looks to be even better going into this season.

Our O-line starters are solid. Newhouse is serviceable but definitely not a weak link. Issues will arise with any injuries as we have little depth (especially at tackle).
Runnings backs really don't matter, but Benson is a huge upgrade. I actually like Alex Green more than James Starks... but either way the RB's job is to not fumble the ball and block for #12.
If you notice teams that give us trouble, they are the ones with a nasty d-line, not teams with nasty linebackers. Think Giants not Steelers.

Yes, the 9ers won against the Saints last year, but we won't turn the ball over 5 times. The Saints did and it took a near miracle for you to win... at home nonetheless.

You guys remind me of the 2006 Bears. Great defense, good running game, below average quarterback who made enough plays to win for one year.

Only way you have a chance to win is if you force a ton of turnovers... doubt that will happen. We will spread you out stay in the no-huddle and remind you guys why you haven't beaten us at Lambeau in over 20 years.

Packers - 42
49ers - 20

You'll be no better than 9-7 this year. Later.

-No question the Packers offense is fantastic, and nobody here has questioned that for one second. With that said, the Packers offense feasted on lousy defenses throughout 2011. They played 9 (Denver Minnesota St. Louis Detroit New Orleans NY Giants Carolina Oakland Tampa Bay) of the 13 worst defenses in yards per game, and one of those 13 teams was the Packers. Meanwhile, they did not play a single top 10 defense in yards/game. Not ONE.
-If you look at points/game instead, the trend is similar. The Packers played 9 of the bottom 11 defenses in points/game. They didn't play a single defense ranked in the top 10 in points/game. Again, not ONE.
-Granted, the fact that the Packers played these teams will skew their defensive stats a tiny bit (1/16 worth, or 1/8 for divisional opponents), but the trend is extreme and would be there just the same if you took out games against the Packers and recalculated these stats.

-The two best defenses (in yards/game) the Packers played were Kansas City (#11) and Atlanta (#12). They went 1-1 in those game, and averaged 19.5 points.
-The 49ers were 4th in yards/game and 2nd in points/game. They're better than the Giants were in the playoffs last season, and the Giants limited the Packers to 20 points despite several calls that went GB's way and ended up having scoring implications.
-The Packers have not played a defense like the 49ers since at least 2010. You don't have the perspective to realize the impact that good defense can have on an offense. After Sunday, you will have that perspective.

If you notice teams that give us trouble, they are the ones with a nasty d-line, not teams with nasty linebackers. Think Giants not Steelers.

Yes, the 9ers won against the Saints last year, but we won't turn the ball over 5 times. The Saints did and it took a near miracle for you to win... at home nonetheless.

You guys remind me of the 2006 Bears. Great defense, good running game, below average quarterback who made enough plays to win for one year.

Only way you have a chance to win is if you force a ton of turnovers... doubt that will happen. We will spread you out stay in the no-huddle and remind you guys why you haven't beaten us at Lambeau in over 20 years.

Packers - 42
49ers - 20

You'll be no better than 9-7 this year. Later.

-The 49ers have a nasty D-Line, you saying otherwise is indicative of your knowledge level. If you're going to troll the opponent's forum, you really ought to bring it in terms of having an idea of what the heck you're talking about.
-IMO the Saints by playoffs time were a better team than the Packers. Better pass protection, better (slightly) defense, much better TE and RBs, who are the ones who made nearly all the big plays in that playoff game. Meanwhile, the Packers lost at home by 17 (despite favorable refereeing, as discussed) to a team that the 49ers took to overtime. Meh. 2012 is not 2011 at the end of the day, but for reasons described, your arguments blow.
-Comparing the 2006 Bears to the 2011 49ers is apt IMO. I think you're right about that. Will 2012 Alex Smith + plus 2012 49ers WRs be better than Rex Grossman and whoever the heck he was throwing to? I sure hope so and think so, but it has yet to be seen.
-The Packers gave up over 20 points 9 times in 2011 (10 if you include the playoffs). They scored 42 or more points six times (all to defense ranked at or below average in yards/game). The 49ers gave up 27 or more points three times in 2011. They scored 20 or more points 11 times, against many defenses better than the Packers. Based on last season, your prediction is objectively ridiculous.

This will be a close game that will hinge on turnovers and on Alex Smith's ability (or lack thereof) to exploit a bad defense, convert 3rd downs, and score touchdowns in the red zone. I think it's a pretty even matchup, and might be the best matchup in the NFL this season.

Enjoy the game!

I'm getting my stopwatch ready to see how fast Aldon can get to Rodgers
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Justin Smith talking about Tuku playing FB:

"He was crushing people," Justin Smith said. "You didn't even have to see it. You could hear it. I know I wouldn't want to take on a 290-pound fullback. I'm sure Green Bay's hoping he's just a gimmick and (we) won't use him that much. He put some pretty impressive stuff on tape."

noice
Green Bay WILL use a LOT of 4 & 5 WR packages to attack us , they wont be able to run the ball on us , so we should be prepared for an air attack and draw up the schemes to keep our best defenders on the field.

our Nickel should look like this

DE - Brooks
DT- Soap / Ray Mac
DT- Cowboy / RJF
DE- Aldon
LB - Bowman
LB- Willis
FS- Goldson
SS- Whitner
CB -Rogers
CB - Brown
CB- Cox / Culliver
We got the toughest mutts in the NFL. Not ordinary junkyard dogs. These are unneutered landfill mutts. Aaron Rodgers will make a nice roast for them to gnaw on.
Originally posted by mkeniner:
-Packers fans make sure to stress that the defense gave up yards because they were playing with a lead but then in the same breath mention the turnovers as if playing with a lead didn't impact those. The reason the Packers got so many turnovers was precisely because they were playing with a lead so much - teams pressed, took risks, passed the ball more and did more reckless things in an attempt to score points. Can't have it both ways - either the defense owns the yards and turnovers or it owns neither.
-LOL on counting on a bunch of rookies to make a noteworthy difference in the first game of the season. Good luck with that.
-LOL at comparing DJ Smith, a backup linebacker forced to start, to Sam Mills. He was a backup for a reason.

-No question the Packers offense is fantastic, and nobody here has questioned that for one second. With that said, the Packers offense feasted on lousy defenses throughout 2011. They played 9 (Denver Minnesota St. Louis Detroit New Orleans NY Giants Carolina Oakland Tampa Bay) of the 13 worst defenses in yards per game, and one of those 13 teams was the Packers. Meanwhile, they did not play a single top 10 defense in yards/game. Not ONE.
-If you look at points/game instead, the trend is similar. The Packers played 9 of the bottom 11 defenses in points/game. They didn't play a single defense ranked in the top 10 in points/game. Again, not ONE.
-Granted, the fact that the Packers played these teams will skew their defensive stats a tiny bit (1/16 worth, or 1/8 for divisional opponents), but the trend is extreme and would be there just the same if you took out games against the Packers and recalculated these stats.

-The two best defenses (in yards/game) the Packers played were Kansas City (#11) and Atlanta (#12). They went 1-1 in those game, and averaged 19.5 points.
-The 49ers were 4th in yards/game and 2nd in points/game. They're better than the Giants were in the playoffs last season, and the Giants limited the Packers to 20 points despite several calls that went GB's way and ended up having scoring implications.
-The Packers have not played a defense like the 49ers since at least 2010. You don't have the perspective to realize the impact that good defense can have on an offense. After Sunday, you will have that perspective.

-The 49ers have a nasty D-Line, you saying otherwise is indicative of your knowledge level. If you're going to troll the opponent's forum, you really ought to bring it in terms of having an idea of what the heck you're talking about.
-IMO the Saints by playoffs time were a better team than the Packers. Better pass protection, better (slightly) defense, much better TE and RBs, who are the ones who made nearly all the big plays in that playoff game. Meanwhile, the Packers lost at home by 17 (despite favorable refereeing, as discussed) to a team that the 49ers took to overtime. Meh. 2012 is not 2011 at the end of the day, but for reasons described, your arguments blow.
-Comparing the 2006 Bears to the 2011 49ers is apt IMO. I think you're right about that. Will 2012 Alex Smith + plus 2012 49ers WRs be better than Rex Grossman and whoever the heck he was throwing to? I sure hope so and think so, but it has yet to be seen.
-The Packers gave up over 20 points 9 times in 2011 (10 if you include the playoffs). They scored 42 or more points six times (all to defense ranked at or below average in yards/game). The 49ers gave up 27 or more points three times in 2011. They scored 20 or more points 11 times, against many defenses better than the Packers. Based on last season, your prediction is objectively ridiculous.

This will be a close game that will hinge on turnovers and on Alex Smith's ability (or lack thereof) to exploit a bad defense, convert 3rd downs, and score touchdowns in the red zone. I think it's a pretty even matchup, and might be the best matchup in the NFL this season.

Enjoy the game!

This is awesome, nice job. Love the bolded part.
Share 49ersWebzone