There are 209 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

QB Expectations for Preseason Game #4 and Beyond!

My apologies ahead of time if I'm starting a thread that belongs elsewhere. Further apologies for starting another "QB thread" ...but I figured a little sparked debate is a good thing

Coming into Game 4 of the preseason, we've seen our fair share of all the QBs (or perhaps we would've liked to have seen more?). With that knowledge, what are you hoping to see from the quarterbacks in the final game of the preseason and throughout the rest of the regular season? Decisiveness? Pocket awareness? A stronger arm? Trust in their receivers? The courage to "pull the trigger?"

Chances are not likely that we will go into the regular season carrying four quarterbacks, but let's consider all four...

Alex Smith
Colin Kaepernick
Scott Tolzien
Josh Johnson

So what would you like to see from each of them? Or from maybe just one of them?

[ Edited by 559_er on Aug 29, 2012 at 8:44 AM ]
I hope Tolzien lights it up and JJ plays very well.

The we trade JJ to a QB needy team so we can move our current draft positions up the ladder to better spots.

Probably will never happen
Give Alex one drive... mix in a run or two, but go with a few quick but deep passes in a 3 WR - 1 TE - 1 HB set. After that, give Ck7 the keys and let him work from a rather normal formation throughout the remaining 1st and 2nd quarter. Then split the rest with ST and JJ... and test out their arms a bit more on some deep ones.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Give Alex one drive... mix in a run or two, but go with a few quick but deep passes in a 3 WR - 1 TE - 1 HB set. After that, give Ck7 the keys and let him work from a rather normal formation throughout the remaining 1st and 2nd quarter. Then split the rest with ST and JJ... and test out their arms a bit more on some deep ones.

i say we play alex out of 5 wide all game. get some spread love back into his system.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:56 AM ]
JJ stop overthrowing wide open WRs
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Absolutely agreed. I'd prefer to see as little of Alex as possible, only because there's no need to see anymore from him. Like you said, maybe take a few deep shots down the field just to show that he isn't afraid to go to Moss or Manningham. Hell, I'd be fine seeing no Alex at all.

From that point on, it's the backup show, in my opinion.

I want to see Kaep play a half, or at least almost a half. We, as fans, have seen glimpses of what Harbaugh is so excited about, but I'm sure we'd collectively like to see more. I want to see him under duress, I want to see him (consistently) look decisive in the pocket, and I want to see more of those wheels. It's a win win: CK gets further game experience, and JH gets to showcase the future and validate his decision. And meanwhile, it gives us more fodder to discuss here on the forums

Next up is the main event. I'd like to see Greg Roman call some plays to put Scott Tolzien and Josh Johnson through the ringer. Let's put ST's arm strength debate to rest, while figuring out if he's really "GOD" Tolzien or Nate Davis 2.0. Also, let's figure out whether Josh Johnson is capable of hitting his receivers downfield, and not overthrowing them. Basically, let's find out who these guys really are!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I hope Tolzien lights it up and JJ plays very well.

The we trade JJ to a QB needy team so we can move our current draft positions up the ladder to better spots.

Probably will never happen

This!
To be honest, I don't expect much from the QB position this year. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it; but, I think it's only going to be average...

With that said:

Alex will be the starter.
Kaep will get into the game at some point this year as Alex's backup (unfortunate injury, or something like that).
Tolz... Will be the 3rd string backup.
Sorry Johnson; but, I think it's time to pack your bags.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
To be honest, I don't expect much from the QB position this year. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it; but, I think it's only going to be average...

With that said:

Kaep will get into the game at some point this year as Alex's backup (unfortunate injury, or something like that).

agree
Originally posted by D_Niner:

With that said:

Completely agree with your assessment of the season. But I, for one, will be very interested in seeing how training camp falls out next offseason for a number of reasons.

Will Alex still be the starter? And will he be able to fight off the young, hungry backups?
Will Kaep live up to his potential (with another season under his belt) and overtake Smith as the starter? Will he regress, or stay the same?
Will Tolzien (assuming he will be #3) come out of left field and surprise everyone with his knowledge of the offense?

Sorry, I'm with the majority who see JJ going bye-bye
[ Edited by 559_er on Aug 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM ]
Does anyone else agree with me that we should cut both Tolzien and Johnson and keep the roster spot for extra CB / S / WR / RB ?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Does anyone else agree with me that we should cut both Tolzien and Johnson and keep the roster spot for extra CB / S / WR / RB ?

I would agree if Kap was more battle tested and more of a veteran. But this is the trend around the league. Some teams just keep 2 qb's.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I haven't seen anything out of Josh Johnson to make me want to keep him. Alex playing another 16 games in a row, odds are against, most QBs miss some time. CK's style of play lends itself to injury, keeping Tolzien is the way to go. I'm sure no one thought we'd be starting street FAs in the playoffs either, better to be prepared with 3 QBs.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I would agree if Kap was more battle tested and more of a veteran. But this is the trend around the league. Some teams just keep 2 qb's.

At this point, I'm more comfortable going with Kaep than JJ or Tolzien in the case where Alex goes down. So if Kaep is both the better option and the long-term future, then I don't see the need for #3 and #4.
Originally posted by lamontb:

At this point, I'm more comfortable going with Kaep than JJ or Tolzien in the case where Alex goes down. So if Kaep is both the better option and the long-term future, then I don't see the need for #3 and #4.

The reason why many teams keep 3 QBs is because they do not want to face the scenario where both QBs go down in the single game (it happened to the Walsh run 49ers once or twice). It isn't because they don't trust the #2 QB.