There are 203 users in the forums

Kaepernick's "thread the needle" throws - Good or Bad?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Kaepernick's "thread the needle" throws - Good or Bad?

I know there is already a million threads on our QBs, but I'm just curious how people feel about Kaep's tendency to throw into very tight coverage or thread the needle. At first I was like, whoa, stupid pass. But after he's completed a number of them, I'm starting to think that maybe he just has a rare ability to judge how much muster he has to put on the ball (and the arm to do it).

This thread isn't about Smith, Tolzien or JJ. Its not even about if you think Kaep is starting quality. I'm just wondering if you guys think his super gunslinger style is a good or a bad thing?
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Aug 26, 2012 at 8:25 PM ]
I think as he is young it will be a mixture of both. Hopefully he matures so it's much more good then bad. But all the elite qbs throw into tight coverage.
Every top QB does it...and some up and coming supposed QBs do it as well.

Andrew Luck has done it a few times....some were completed and one was returned for a TD.

I think Kaep should be given the benefit of the doubt until something bad happens.

on that pass to Williams, he threw it to a PERFECT location that it was not just the speed of the throw, but the location that made it difficult for the defender.

all I know is that alot of defenders think they can get to it in preseason...if Kaep ever had to come in the regular season, it would be a perfect opportunity for a pump fake and easy TD.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 26, 2012 at 8:36 PM ]
It could very well be that he's just a tad slow on his read- to- throw timing, so when the ball got there it may look like he's throwing into tight coverage when it doesn't have to be. But it really doesn't matter -- as long as it gets there and the receiver catches it -- it's all good. Timing won't be perfect every time and the passes won't be accurate every time either. As long as he shows improvement no one should be too critical of Kaep.

It's only when people think he's all that before he even got there....
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 26, 2012 at 8:38 PM ]
Kaep wants to play football , AS wants a job
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Every top QB does it...and some up and coming supposed QBs do it as well.

Andrew Luck has done it a few times....some were completed and one was returned for a TD.

I think Kaep should be given the benefit of the doubt until something bad happens.

on that pass to Williams, he threw it to a PERFECT location that it was not just the speed of the throw, but the location that made it difficult for the defender.

all I know is that alot of defenders think they can get to it in preseason...if Kaep ever had to come in the regular season, it would be a perfect opportunity for a pump fake and easy TD.

ALL OF THIS
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Aug 26, 2012 at 9:41 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
He's got an elite arm and is not afraid to use it. I just wish that Roman would let our QBs air it out more.
The NFL is a game of inches and nanoseconds. You've got to play at that level of refinement if you want to compete at the highest level. You might throw some INTs doing it, but you're also going to make some big plays.
The throw Kap made to Jenkins across his body after rollin out was a good throw today.I still feel I havent seen enough to decide either way though so far as Kap is concerned.
This is why gm's like qb's with big arms. They have the ability to power a ball through a defense. Maybe jj has the arm but not the accuracy. Smith and st dont. Kaep has both! The clocks ticking for smith.

Kaepernick may have a funky throwing motion, and his throws might always look delayed, but due to the fact that he throws it like a pitcher's fastball, and so accurately, defenders are still 1-2 seconds behind from getting a step up on each play (or even being able to intercept it off a deflection, like an armor-piercing round bouncing off a titanium steel wall). -This is why every throw that almost looks like an interception, is never an interception, Colin's done a lot of work compared to last year, and it's obvious (still rusty, but getting better at reading safeties).

Still not 'high' on the guy, but not counting him out; he might be called upon in the near future, and could impress.
1st string defenses present tighter coverages he may not be able to thread especially after a long windup
[ Edited by hofer36 on Aug 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM ]
Good quarterbacks can thread the needle, which separates them from the rest of the pack. Rodgers and Brees do it all the time, but Rodgers is a bit more accurate when it comes to threading the needle.
He'll get a lot of interceptions with that too.
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Would feel better about it if he had a faster release.
Share 49ersWebzone