There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Current 49ers most likely to make Hall of Fame

• dj43
  • Veteran
Willis is the only one that has played at a level that would make him a certain pick, even then, he will need to have at least 3 more years at the same level.

Justin Smith probably does not have enough years left to play at a level that will get him in. He was very good year before last and last year he had some spectacular plays, but prior to that, he did very little to earn HOF consideration.

Vernon Davis has a lot to prove before he will get in. The homer in me would like to see him make it but reality says he has a lot of work to do.

Someone mentioned Iupati but it is way too soon to consider him in this conversation, IMO.

Gore was just on a bad team way too long to earn the kind of recognition he would need to get in. It is highly unlikely he will stay healthy long enough to put up the kind of numbers he would need.

No one else is in the conversation at this point.

(Moss is a Viking, not a 49er.)
There are some great left tackles in the hall, but I think that Staley may get in if he plays at a high level for another 7(8?) years.
Originally posted by dj43:

Gore was just on a bad team way too long to earn the kind of recognition he would need to get in. It is highly unlikely he will stay healthy long enough to put up the kind of numbers he would need.

I can't argue with that at all, but I think there is still reason for hope. As we're all aware, the running back position has changed dramatically over the past decade and there is a reasonable chance that by the time Gore is eligible for consideration, the voters' criteria for acceptance may have shifted toward putting Gore in a more favorable light. Granted, Gore still needs to put together at least another season or two's worth of outstanding work and an eye-catching playoff game or two would help enormously.

At the end of the day, though, I'm sure hindsight will place him as one of the last gasps of the era of premier backs.
My choices make little sense at this point because they are based on my hopes for the future rather than past performances. So if I want the 9ers to be a dominant team again they need an elite QB (Smith being the current hope), a great runner (Gore may not make it too many more years, may be gone), great receivers (maybe Moss, Jenkins, and...any others on this team? Manningham?), and solid OLinemen.

The defense is more established and there are a number of players who have a good shot...Willis, J Smith, Aldon, and others...but they have a lot to prove.

Funny that Staley probably has the best chance on offense based on his one pro bowl appearance at the age of 27. If folks continue to vote him in...oops...forgot VD!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM ]
LOLWUT at Bowman, Aldon, and Vernron
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Vernron Davis and Frank Gire.
[ Edited by monsterzero789 on Aug 25, 2012 at 4:04 PM ]
The only one I think that has a legit shot right now (aside from Moss, who doesn't count) is Willis. 5 for 5 in Pro Bowls says something.

I love Gore, but he hasn't had the sustained success nor dominance at the position to warrant HOF status, yet. A big game in a Super Bowl or even several big playoff games could rewrite the script on him.

Vernon Davis could end up with a shot if he has a long career and puts up gawdy numbers. He's a long way from that right now and based on his current resume', he wouldn't get a shot I don't think.

Also, I might get flamed for this, but I think it bears stating. If Alex somehow turns this career of his around, and he has plenty of time to do it, wins a Super Bowl with Harbaugh and has a good playoff record, I think he could get a sniff. If only for the fact that his story would be so rare. After 6-7 absolutely awful years, to make a good career would make for good copy, and it is the Hall of FAME, not the hall of greatness.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Vernron Davis and Frank Gire.

Bunch of homers I tell ya!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Lock: Moss
Probable: Willis
On The Right Track: J.Smith, V.Davis
Outside Chance: Gore
Way To Early, But Looks Good So Far: Ald.Smith, Bowman, Iupati

exactly what I was thinking....

and....Tolzein...and he doesn't even need to ever start a game...
AKERS!!!!!
Get that ring...
kaep