There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will the offensive line hold back the 49ers offense this season?

I agree NCommand about play 1... really don't like running gore to the left outside. Seems like we always lose 3-5 yards on that play. If we do It I would use Hunter who does get stopped for loses at times but also gives us a better chance at a nice gain by turning the corner. We use that play a lot and lose yards often.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I agree NCommand about play 1... really don't like running gore to the left outside. Seems like we always lose 3-5 yards on that play. If we do It I would use Hunter who does get stopped for loses at times but also gives us a better chance at a nice gain by turning the corner. We use that play a lot and lose yards often.

Yeah, another good one to use is the fly-sweep to that side with Ginn/Jenkins. It's where the WR cracks down and Staley releases out in space (where he is at his best). Hopefully we will be able to use James out on the edges too along with Hunter soon.
Until you burn a defense for blitzing, they will continue to bring pressure. That means sometimes - just sometimes - you can't hold the ball, you have to take a chance and let your WR go get it.
NCommand--thanks for the break down...as depressing as it was! As tough as Smith is I just hate seeing him take hits as he has. Hope this OLine starts to gel and the play calling becomes creative against GB. So far it looks like the coaches just want to see certain players in situations for evaluation. But the line being sloppy and penalties continueing if very sad to see from the first unit. Also hate so much shifting but Harbaugh loves that stuff.

Going backwards on first down again seems too familiar! But...preseason...how long can we keep saying that? One more game! GB will be an interesting game...that I really want them to win.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
NCommand--thanks for the break down...as depressing as it was! As tough as Smith is I just hate seeing him take hits as he has. Hope this OLine starts to gel and the play calling becomes creative against GB. So far it looks like the coaches just want to see certain players in situations for evaluation. But the line being sloppy and penalties continuing if very sad to see from the first unit. Also hate so much shifting but Harbaugh loves that stuff.

Going backwards on first down again seems too familiar! But...preseason...how long can we keep saying that? One more game! GB will be an interesting game...that I really want them to win.

My pleasure! It only took a few minutes; hope others do their own and post.

No doubt Roman was using a TON of shifts, WR/TE combo-looks and other creative looks (wasn't a "vanilla" thing about the offense in this pre season game). They were really trying to utilize the TE's esp. Dobbs. Lots of jumbo, max protection sets but also lots of 3 & 4 WR sets...all 3 TE's releasing. Both backs releasing. It was VERY interesting to watch esp. pre snap!

Again, pre season or not, we saw the same exact issues this game as we did in previous pre season games and all of last year. First down is our biggest issue along with pass protection. Naturally, both lead to horrible 3rd down and RZ %'s and many 3-and-outs, IMHO.

It was interesting hearing those quotes from Tom Brady et al. re: this exact same topic that we've been discussing here. If you missed it, it's post #129 in this thread.