LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 124 users in the forums

Players who surprised you?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
This year, so far its Anthony Davis and Alex Boone. Just wait and watch how much better our line will be this year.
I challenge anyone to point out one bad play by either of these two in the preseason.

Anthony Davis false start...

I like the dude tho
We are one of the most hard nosed and athletic teams in the league. Thats the biggest surprise to me.
I can just tell how much Kendall Hunter has improved his game. Not that he wasn't productive his rookie year, but man he seems focused and looks as though he is starting to "get it".

Chicago49erFan
I think Boone surprises me. I never saw him being the swing backup Tackle. And never in my wildest dreams did I see him being a starting Guard. Just wierd the way his career has evolved. He just worked himself into being a good player. He always had the size. He just quit drinking, got in the gym, worked out like crazy, paid attention to all the coaching and made himself into a decent player.
I was going to say Bowman because of all the talk about letting TKO go

The more you look at the above players mention, the more you realize the team is in great hands with Baalke and Harbaugh

Raymac, Boone, Brown, Ginn, Rogers, Soap, hell even Staley

All guys that came of age under the new regime (not to mention the new guys like Hunter, etc.)

We had talent on this team but it was not coached

We had talent on this team but it was not developed

We had talent on this team but it was not utilized

Until now

///
Originally posted by 49erSooner:
This year, so far its Anthony Davis and Alex Boone. Just wait and watch how much better our line will be this year.
I challenge anyone to point out one bad play by either of these two in the preseason.

I like the dude tho

Anthony Davis is no Kwame or Jonas Jennings

This kid is mean and nasty and still getting better
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

I like the dude tho

I agree 100%, but that isn't what he asked

I like the dude tho

I agree 100%, but that isn't what he asked

I think he just wanted to respond to the thread in general. Its true, he had the false start. To be super technical, I don't know if a false start actually constitutes a "play".
Balmer... No wait
Brown really surprised me, 3 years ago I had the same opinion of him that I have of Brock now.

The other guys weren't really surprises, just more a lack of motivation. Like Brooks always looked solid in rotational duty when Lawson left on 3rd down but he was always out of shape, now he's motivated and I'm goin in the books as saying he is gonna hit double digit sacks with all the attention the Smiths are gonna get.

Great list so far and agree with all of them.

I'll add mine:

Chris Culliver - When we drafted him i was like WHO? A saftey? Why do they think they can make him into a corner when South Carolina moved him to safety? You don't ususally move a great corner to saftey until after their prime.

NaVorrow Bowman - I remember when we drafted him. Didn't think he would be a bust but didn't think he'd be a probowler neither. Heck for a while there the zone couldn't figure out if he'd be an OLB or ILB,

I like Davis because he's always sticking up for his fellow niners. Reminds me of Kyle Turley who took that dudes helmet and threw it across the field because he was messing with his teammate.

I like the dude tho

His get off is sooo fast doe that the refs think it's a false start.
Chris Culliver surprised me early last season with how well he played.

Tarell Brown was better last season than I early on gave him credit for.

Have to say that in limited looks, Brandon Jacobs has surprised me. Seems much quicker and more able than I expected.

Mike Crabtree started to really worry me with those volley-tips, so I was pleasantly surprised that this stopped last season.

I didn't expect to like Konrad Reuland this much so far.. another pleasant surprise that makes me worry far less about Walker missing time.

I have been surprised and pleased with the way Eric Bakhtiari has shined over opposing backups.. not sure he can get better though.
I was going to say Bowman because of all the talk about letting TKO go

Sad to say I felt the same way about Bowman taking TKO's spot. One of the best players on the team now. SMH at myself!

VD bothered me more than just his hands worth. His me first attitude and his inability to recognize a blitz and help out the QB just drove me crazy. The latter still does but I suppose he is getting a little better...didn't see him take one in the back recently. But his all-world blocking and down-field ability makes up for any deficiency. Still hate that he jumped up on the stage in the playoffs and preened...penalties can come back to bite. Just not necessary.
Share 49ersWebzone