There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

HB depth chart after 2nd pre-season game

Originally posted by niners420:
The depth chart is Gore then Hunter. That's pretty much it because, barring injury, I don't really see James (for 2012 at least) and especially Jacobs ever being the back for an entire drive/6-7+ plays in a row. They're both going to be used in very situational roles i.e. Jacobs on 3rd or 4th and short or on the goal line and James I believe won't have a huge role as a rookie, maybe just 6 or 7 snaps a game as a change of pace/3rd down back. I would expect Gore and Hunter to combine for about 90% of our carries. So that's how I view it - 2 actual all-around backs and 2 situational backs.

I don't know about that. The guy has produced a season average of +5 yards/carry three times. Two of them being 1000 yard seasons. It's not a guy I'd want to carry the team but I don't doubt that he could fill in nicely should (knock on wood) Gore miss any time this season.
Originally posted by Theswede:
I don't know about that. The guy has produced a season average of +5 yards/carry three times. Two of them being 1000 yard seasons. It's not a guy I'd want to carry the team but I don't doubt that he could fill in nicely should (knock on wood) Gore miss any time this season.

He's way older now
Harbaugh uses deception as a tool on offence. For example, it wouldn't surprise me to see Jacobs catching passes and not being limited to short yardage situations. As far as touches per game goes, a distribution like this makes sense to me:

Gore: 15-20
Hunter: 5-10
Jacobs: 5-10
James: ~5
Cartwright: ZERO (Special teams)

RB's thrive when they're able to establish rhythm, which is why Gore needs to be featured. He's on the downswing of his career, but I believe he has one year left of elite production.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Wrong, Cartwright was brought in to be the new Costanzo, which he can do more than him, RB, Return, ST Ace. He isn't worthless, he has done this for years.

And what do you think Dixon does ?

I'm sorry but I see no potential in Dixon, he doesn't get the push needed as a goal line back or FB. Sure he is a good ST player, but not as good as Rock is.
A few times, I found myself impressed with Dixon as a FB pounder... but hey, we ain't keeping an extra FB.
Gire
Khunt
Jacobs
LMJ
Cartwright
Boobie
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Gore
Hunter
LMJ
Jacobs (short yardage)
Cartwright

Hunter and LMJ will share time to rest Gore
LMJ over Rock only because of draft status (as of now)


.................. Dixon
i think rock will be kept busy doing special teams. i can see him in goal line situations maybe with jacobs in there. they both sound and have a history of finding the goal line and picking up that tough yard or two that others have failed at. No names mentioned but his initials are anthony dixon

LOL

ya i see the 3rd short/goal line depth

Jacobs
Gore
Cartwright
Jesus, can we get real here and take Frank off his pedestal? No matter how you rank running backs across the league, he is now nowhere near the top. He hasn't broken a tackle in years and invariably gets caught from behind should he break into the open field. He still fumbles too much and drops passes out of the backfield. Great pass blocker and huge heart, but past his time.

Hunter
Jacobs
Gore
LMJ
Dixon
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,124
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Wrong, Cartwright was brought in to be the new Costanzo, which he can do more than him, RB, Return, ST Ace. He isn't worthless, he has done this for years.

And what do you think Dixon does ?

I'm sorry but I see no potential in Dixon, he doesn't get the push needed as a goal line back or FB. Sure he is a good ST player, but not as good as Rock is.
production aka rock vs potential aka dixon. production wins out every time in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 24,124
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Jesus, can we get real here and take Frank off his pedestal? No matter how you rank running backs across the league, he is now nowhere near the top. He hasn't broken a tackle in years and invariably gets caught from behind should he break into the open field. He still fumbles too much and drops passes out of the backfield. Great pass blocker and huge heart, but past his time.

Hunter
Jacobs
Gore
LMJ
Dixon
maybe but is still a top back in my opinion and better than alot of younger ones out there
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Jesus, can we get real here and take Frank off his pedestal? No matter how you rank running backs across the league, he is now nowhere near the top. He hasn't broken a tackle in years and invariably gets caught from behind should he break into the open field. He still fumbles too much and drops passes out of the backfield. Great pass blocker and huge heart, but past his time.

Hunter
Jacobs
Gore
LMJ
Dixon

Hasn't broken a tackle but gets caught from behind.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Gire
Khunt
Jacobs
LMJ
Cartwright
Boobie

Clearly the time has come for a Khunt Boobie backfield....the espn highlights by Berman would be enough to say production be damned.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
I'm sorry but I see no potential in Dixon, he doesn't get the push needed as a goal line back or FB. Sure he is a good ST player, but not as good as Rock is.

For every play Dixon makes he has at least one where he seems to run into the line standing straight up...no body lean and no movement of the pile. It is his instinctive style and that habit is hard to break. Can Rathman make a fullback out of him? I doubt it. James was unstopable in short yardage in college (according to Harbaugh) so he is ahead of Dixon. Cartwright is expeienced and an excellent ST player putting him ahead of James. Gore is still a premier back so he is #1. Hunter is a close second because of his all purpose ability. Jacobs is very effective but often injured (historically).

As dinged up as RBs tend to get during the season the 9ers may need all of these guys!
I hope LMJ can make some big plays soon. I want to see his explosiveness!!!!!
Originally posted by Ajanke:
I hope LMJ can make some big plays soon. I want to see his explosiveness!!!!!

Have they moved him around, like at the slot?