LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

HB depth chart after 2nd pre-season game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Didn't see Gire run last game but he is obviously the full time starter so now it comes down to ranking the other four HB's.

I'm gonna assume Harbaugh has this depth chart:

HB1 Gire
HB2 Hunter
HB3 LMJ
HB4 The Rock
HB5 Boobie Dixon

How do you guys have it

Before anybody asks why I didn't put Jacobs in, he's injured and isn't gonna play the rest of the pre-season
[ Edited by JerryRice1848 on Aug 20, 2012 at 9:34 PM ]
This is with Jacobs in it.

1. Gore
2. Hunter
3. Jacobs
4. Cartwright
5. James
6. Dixon

I put Cartwright ahead of James due to him being a vet and James has looked real shaky, especially on returns, but I can see it flipped when season begins. Will depend on if we keep James active over someone else. I can very well see AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James inactive to begin the season off since they have come along slowly.
Hard to make a traditional depth chart when each of these guys offers you a bit of his own flavor.

Gore is the go-to-guy, he does it all. Short yardage, between the tackles, outside the tackles, pass pro, pass catching. He's the number 1 for sure and if he's fresh, regardless of the scenario(aside from perhaps short yardage), he's more than likely to be the guy Harbs calls on.

Hunter is the do-it-all back-up. he brings a lot of what Gore brings with a bit more quickness, explosion. Not necessarily the guy you want running on 3rd and 1 or 4th an inches, but that speaks more to our depth at RB than Hunter's strengths and weaknesses.

Jacobs is the short yardage guy. period. He'll probably steal these carries from Frank, even if frank is fresh.

James is a homerun hitter. He's perfect for the read-option looks that are becoming a bigger part of our offense. He will kick ass on screens, outside runs and is underrated as an inside runner. Looks better than expected in pass pro, which means (when considering his speed, catching, quickness, etc.) he could be a DYNAMIC 3rd down option this year.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

1. Gore
2. Hunter
3. Jacobs
4. Cartwright
5. James
6. Dixon

I put Cartwright ahead of James due to him being a vet and James has looked real shaky, especially on returns, but I can see it flipped when season begins. Will depend on if we keep James active over someone else. I can very well see AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James inactive to begin the season off since they have come along slowly.

Pretty much all of this. Not sure I'd want James playing at all next week. Maybe make sure he is 100% before he plays. I'd like to see more of Cartwright. We need to know if he's really worth a spot... At first, I thought heck no.. but he impressed me in game 1 and I haven't gotten far enough into game 2 to make an assessment on that one yet.
I LIKE GIRE

1. Gore
2. Hunter
3. Jacobs
4. Cartwright
5. James
6. Dixon

Agree with this but it's hard to make a list without mentioning specific plays. Jacobs moves up at the goal line, for instance. Hunter moves up on 3rd and long? Gore will get most of the carries but they have to rest him more so he's in tip-top shape for the playoffs.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Aug 21, 2012 at 6:40 AM ]

1. Gire
2. Hunter
3. Jacobs
4. Cartwright
5. James
6. Dixon

Fixed.
Gore
Hunter
Jacobs
LMJ
Cartwright
Dixon
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Gore
Hunter
Jacobs
LMJ
Cartwright
Dixon

this
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
Gore
Hunter
Jacobs
LMJ
Cartwright
Dixon

This with Cartwright and/or Dixon gone. Four RBs and Miller as a FB is enough.

#1. Fronk Gire
#2. Kindle Hinter
#3. Branden Jacabs
[ Edited by ghostrider on Aug 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM ]
Gore
Hunter
LMJ
Jacobs (short yardage)
Cartwright

Hunter and LMJ will share time to rest Gore
LMJ over Rock only because of draft status (as of now)

.................. Dixon
this Gire crap is old and wack.
im guessing the teenagers still think its funny
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Gore
Hunter
LMJ
Jacobs (short yardage)
Cartwright

Hunter and LMJ will share time to rest Gore
LMJ over Rock only because of draft status (as of now)

.................. Dixon
i think rock will be kept busy doing special teams. i can see him in goal line situations maybe with jacobs in there. they both sound and have a history of finding the goal line and picking up that tough yard or two that others have failed at. No names mentioned but his initials are anthony dixon
Originally posted by 99problems:
this Gire crap is old and wack.
im guessing the teenagers still think its funny

You got 99 problems, and Gire's real name is one?
Share 49ersWebzone