LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Harbaugh's genius is in the little things...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
(Oh and 1 last thing - even if CK is not back-up ready, it is genius to SAY he is the back-up. That way teams have to prepare for a totally different style QB if Smith goes out of the game. Defenses can't just stay with their gameplan because the next guy up is the same type of QB. Its a little thing, but genius.)

The CK bashing might be more genius than anything Harbaugh or Walsh has ever done. I've never seen a player take so many shots across the bow in so many different ways.

The whole post was a smoke screen to hate CK

The whole WZ has turned into a smoke screen to hate CK.

Just say he sucks etc, like people have done for any other player they don't like; but involving the coaches? Suggesting that they're lying about the "real" depth chart? I've never seen that happen before, and we're not talking about just one post. Its kind of scary, people are in shock that he would still be ahead of Tolzien; and they are really really reaching.

I dont know if Hearstfan was bashing Kap, but I kinda see what you mean, although I'd say its more people being extremley high on Tolzien. He played well, but the fact is that is really was against 3rd stringers, half of which probably wont even make the practice squad. I'd say Tolzien Looks like a good system qb, like a Kevin Kolb (pre arizona). JH is not stupid, Injuries are a very real possibility and I dont think he would say Kap is #2 if he didnt think we could win with him. Not to mention Harbaugh and the coaching staff has been watching this guys for months, we're making our fanbased determinations from watching one pre season game.
I'm not bashing CK - I'm just saying EVEN IF he weren't ready to be the true #2, the idea that you would let the league think he is the #2 because he presents a totally different QB threat they have to contingency plan for is the genius part.
Originally posted by Hitman49:
This is a little old...but kinda cool...Harbaugh talks about his wardrobe and why he wears what he wears...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pFAVlxxtKDs

I had never seen that - I just love that smirk he has while he is trying to say the right thing. You can tell in his head he has some funnier things to say and/or a smart ass remark he could make - too bad he holds it in. LOL. The guy is like a laser focused pro and little kid at the same time!
installing a variety of power running schemes to counter a league that is moving toward building it's defenses to stop the pass... genius!!!
Originally posted by verb1der:
What happened to Maddog? We need some balance in this thread..

He has aids now
Originally posted by ninerdaddy:
installing a variety of power running schemes to counter a league that is moving toward building it's defenses to stop the pass... genius!!!

Yeah - I failed to mention the most OBVIOUS one! LOL - perfect point.
I'll wait till he wins a couple of SB before heaving the the title on him.
I had never seen that - I just love that smirk he has while he is trying to say the right thing. You can tell in his head he has some funnier things to say and/or a smart ass remark he could make - too bad he holds it in. LOL. The guy is like a laser focused pro and little kid at the same time!

LOL! "It reduces the drag of figuring out what to wear every day"

8 pairs of khakis and 6 sweatshirts HAHA!
This was a nice read and OP I agree with what you've stated. It's also worth mentioning that he had great parents that helped in his growth as a person as well as being a great coach.
Harbaugh and his staff have brought a lot of creativity to the team , something this team has lacked for a LONG time, I like seeing Sopoaga, Boone and J Smith in as blocking FB's , something Nolan and Singletary never tried.

he is obviously a whiz at developing QB's , Smith had his best season under Harbaugh, and I know we can win with either Tolzien & Kap at QB if we had to use one of them, Harbaugh knows their strengths and weaknesses and which packages to use to put us in a good position to win

plus it is obvious talent evaluation is another strength of his , Harbaugh and Baalke have brought in so many good players that fit the 49ers scheme of things

the only negative I can single out is, he might have brought in too much talent for certain positions, I cant remember the last time we have had this kind of depth at RB, Cartwright looks like he can run the ball for us if we need him, plus he is a stud on special teams , Jacobs will be our battering ram, something dixon never developed into , and Gore, Hunter and James are all capable of carrying the load , which makes me think we will run the ball HARD this season....

Singletary wanted to be a smashmouth running team, but he didnt know how to develop talent and just forced the issue with his brutal boot camps ...shows how much a creative coach can make a difference ..I'm glad we finally hired an offensive minded coach, Nolan and Sing had no business running an offense, and we paid dearly for taking chances on defensive coaches and relying on OC's that split on us afterf one season ..it's time to keep the ball rolling and do some damage
here's an awesome quote from brandon jacobs:

"That is what this staff does the best," Jacobs said. "'G-Ro' is a genius, man. I've seen it, mainly these last couple days, we started doing some different things on offense, things out of different formations and basically putting the defense in sets he wants them to be in, versus what they want to be in."

controlling and manipulating the defense, GENIUS

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Also how about using the read-option plays with Kap in pre season. Just gonna give D coordinators more stuff to prepare for.
Super thread, and one other little thing. Coach H knows WHERE to put players. We had a number of players when he came in out of position, and he knew virtually instantly where they all fit. His and Baalke's talent appraisal is something to behold. And remember, he took a QB , with 6 yrs futility in the bag, and he led the team to 14-4. If ginn isn't hurt, we win the SB. No joke. What did Coach do? Got him not one extra, but 3 extra PR. I like that. I love the OL. Love the entire D, which they managed to keep together, yet they were best D in league last yr. Certainly somebody would have wanted more money, but nope, they all stayed. Ok, Dashon needed some prodding. Seeing Tolz play for SD as a rook and then they put him on PS, and Harbaugh/Baalke nailed him down in 3 minutes. Maybe it isn't genius, but it sure as heck is being ultra-super prepared for anything....and that IS Walshian. On O, Coach is a superb play caller, and an incredible ego builder for guys who doubted themselves. You fill in the names. Also, if he doesn't like somebody who flat out doesn't have it...he is gone. No mealy mouth, just adios Chilo. Same for Snyder. That takes knowing your team intimately, and knowing the ability of all on it. In that, Harbaugh has no peer.

At first I thot he was a Bellicheat kind of coach. Yes in a way, except this guy is honest, straight forward, and no short cuts. All he needs is a couple SBs, and he is another Coach Walsh. Jeez, he's only been here a yr, and 1 Pre season. Question is, what is the limit for our HC? Limitless, would be my guess. Stand up guy, doesn't like the spotlight...what more could die hard fans want?
8 pairs of khaki pants and 6 sweaters-- one less thing to think about -- more to focus on the team

The Monk photoshop is not showing up in the photoshop thread
Probably mentioned already but getting the most out of our guys. Seeing what they can bring at another position. We've tried Sopoaga, Tukuafa, Smith, etc at FB. Dobbs at TE, Colin Jones, Ben Hannula, etc at WR and so on.... might save a roster spot or who knows maybe you find out a guy is better on the other side of the ball. Also, gives you options if we are in a jam. Then we draft Bruce Miller a 2 time CUSA Defensive Player of the Year. A guy who had 34.5 sacks in 4 years and we decide we are going to use him at FB. Most of us are like this guy has way too much potential to not move him but our staff turns him into near pro bowl caliber FB.

Other thing is and it's not new but I feel is very under-utilized is bringing in extra blockers and making them eligible WRs and actually having them go out for passes. We had two big plays with Sopoaga and Staley catching 1st downs. Last team I can remember doing that was the Patriots with Vrabel in their SB hay days. To me it needs to be utilized more often. Sure teams do it with TEs but you can really get the teams when you are sending out 300+ pound guys. I hope we use it more this year.

Last thing was the shifts on short yardage downs where we tried to get teams to jump off-sides. Most of the time it worked but it didn't seem like the refs were ready for teams using it so it did go against us occasionally. One group says it was fine, the next said we were moving too quickly and simulating the snap.

Edit: Also, this is a credit to the scouts, Baalke and the coaches but we are finding hidden gems in the late rounds/UDFA which is something we didn't really do in the McCloughan era.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 16, 2012 at 3:57 PM ]
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

LOL! "It reduces the drag of figuring out what to wear every day"

8 pairs of khakis and 6 sweatshirts HAHA!

"It was a slap handshake, I shook his hand too hard"

Share 49ersWebzone