There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Harbaugh's genius is in the little things...

People have been wondering if Harbaugh was the second coming of the Walsh "Genius." His schemes are good - he mixes it up well and takes advantage of mismatches. But the more I watch the team - not so much Harbaugh the person - I am realizing he is a different kind of genius. His genius seems to come from taking that extra step in every aspect of preparation. Here are some examples of small things other teams might not put a lot of stock in, but could pay huge dividends down the line:

49ers Talk 8/14/12
"These are four quarterbacks that will all play a very long time in this league. Knew that it would be very competitive in the offseason and in training camp. It's been of great value, in that we don't take a bad rep in practice because of the quarterback not knowing what to do or not having the ability to make any of the particular throws, et cetera" -- Jim Harbaugh.

THAT IS AWESOME - the price of a Johnson's contract he at a minimum gets 4 weeks of elevated play to improve the WHOLE team - every rep counts. Who else (expect for Baalke apparently - and Jed York bought into it) goes that extra step?

How about:
If you want to improve the RB position, don't get 1 - get several good ones to compete.
If you need a WR, don't sign 1, sign 2 and draft one.
When you need CBs in this league, draft a lot of them.
Need a RG, get 3 to compete.
And player development, player development, player development. The depth on this team is amazing because they pay attention to all levels of the depth chart.
Notice how fast they sign people when someone gets injured? They have done the work and are ready to sign a guy signed the next day.

This is really starting to look like his genius is in the details and the preparation - which is great.

(Oh and 1 last thing - even if CK is not back-up ready, it is genius to SAY he is the back-up. That way teams have to prepare for a totally different style QB if Smith goes out of the game. Defenses can't just stay with their gameplan because the next guy up is the same type of QB. Its a little thing, but genius.)
[ Edited by HearstFan on Aug 14, 2012 at 6:56 PM ]
Agree. I wouldn't want to trade Harbaugh and this coaching staff for anyone. I love how they are prepared for everything including the depth of the team and develop players too.
i think you're a little too overzealous with the "genius" label
Very fresh thread. You make great points.

#creativetension

http://www.consultcli.com/conflicttension.htm
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Aug 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM ]
Great points!

Asking Moss (a malcontent) to sit up at the front row and model and teach professionalism is pure genius! If you know anything about parenting, it does two things 1) Gets Crabtree involved and 2) Gets the most out of Moss

When you have a trouble maker boy but with excellent leadership skills this bad apple can bring down a whole house hold. But if you show trust/faith in him and ask him to be WITH you vs. against you and lead a team, you just may see him turn a corner and become a positive leader.

Crabtree instantly bonded with him and had his best off season (not saying much but...we certainly got more out of him then ever before and Moss was again the superstar). And then praising Crabtree for having the best hands he's ever seen (this while coaching the organization that produced the GOAT in Jerry Rice).

Using the media to not only get Jenkins in shape but also show loyalty and trust in their faith in him and his development.

Lots of other examples of Harbaalke recognition of talent, team needs, etc. and addressing them...contracts, player relationships, etc.

Good post!
Only problem is that we haven't drafted a lot of CB's recently, but otherwise I agree.
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Aug 14, 2012 at 7:37 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Only problem is that we haven't drafted a lot of CB's recently, but otherwise I agree.

from what i'm reading and seeing in preseason, perrish cox might be a really nice signing
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by NickSh49:

from what i'm reading and seeing in preseason, perrish cox might be a really nice signing

Plus Culliver and Brock looked great last year
One of the better threads I've seen in Ninertalk

There might be a god after all
Great thread! I believe that this is an area where Walsh and Harbaugh are similar, but not identical. Walsh often drafted a couple of players at the same position in order to put added pressure on them to compete for a position. He was an expert at keeping players off balance, even future hall of famers like Montana and Lott. Harbaugh does this but makes it into a game that includes everyone...a bit less stressful perhaps but just as competitive.

NC's example of using Moss to set a pattern of good learning habits is similar to Walsh's ability to turn "bad boys" into productive team mates. He could control Haley when no one else could because he sicked Lott on him.

Another similarity that I really appreciate is the attention to details in practice...no wasted time and each player starts with the basics and adds each off season. Walsh and Harbaugh both had the expertise to teach every position because they share a fanatic love of learning and teaching the game. Love stories of each getting down and showing the players exactly what they want from them.
I think some of the praise needs to be given to Baalke as well. I know many 49ers, myself included, were somewhat unsure of promoting him up to GM. At the time we had been suffering through a bunch of mediocre years and were wanting a change. Someone to come in and change the mentality of the franchise. After Baalke came in almost everyone was just like .....couldn't believe it!!! Then low and behold, we get Harbaugh and together they built this team. The two of them have great communication from what I've read and I really hope this continues. I believe, and hope, that this success will continue.

"I don't take vacations. I don't get sick. I don't observe major holidays. I'm a jackhammer."

- Jim Harbaugh -
Damn those are good points. They really do sign people rather quick and they attempt to fill positions of need ASAP.
Jim Harbaugh will have the throat of the NFL under his boot for the next 15 years. Camelot has returned.
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Jim Harbaugh will have the throat of the NFL under his boot for the next 15 years. Camelot has returned.