LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 421 users in the forums

Scott Tolzien vs Josh Johnson for #3 QB position

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i thought tolzien was winning throughout preseason but johnson looked great tonight. he was right on the money with his accuracy and his ability to scramble is very dangerous. i think it makes sense to keep him because harbaugh picked kaep and kept smith for their athletic ability, it makes sense to have backups that share those characteristics with the starter and backups so there isnt that much of a change in style if he ever has to play

Can Gore throw?
Can I vote for Cody Pickett ??
Either way they'll both be on an NFL team. They are both pretty good backups.
doesn't really matter as they won't see the light of day, BUT, it could go either way.

Friggin Tolzein playing bad against his ex team. What's up with that? You would think he would go balls out against the team that cut him.
Although Johnson played well tonight, I still pick Tolzien. A lot of his incompletions are drops or passes that go right through receiver's hands. Has great pocket presence & is more consistent than Johnson. People underestimate his arm. It may be a close call, but the difference is that Johnson has already reached his ceiling & Tolzien hasn't.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
doesn't really matter as they won't see the light of day, BUT, it could go either way.

Friggin Tolzein playing bad against his ex team. What's up with that? You would think he would go balls out against the team that cut him.

How ironic, San Diego did him in twice.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Tolzein got NO help tonight from his receivers... I still like him better. idk.... what a twist.... Dixon will make the roster, and a good chance Johnson will too...

Yeah it would've been better if SD d lineman were out WR's.
Originally posted by BayStreamin510:
Although Johnson played well tonight, I still pick Tolzien. A lot of his incompletions are drops or passes that go right through receiver's hands. Has great pocket presence & is more consistent than Johnson. People underestimate his arm. It may be a close call, but the difference is that Johnson has already reached his ceiling & Tolzien hasn't.

Everyone had drops tonight. Tolzein just sux. I didn't see Kap or JJ get body slammed like he did cause they were up on fools and got yardage.
If you haven't caught on, GET RID OF TOLZEIN. His flux capacitor didn't quite cut it.

johnson was harbaughs qb at sd state and has more experience facing first team defenses then tolzein harbaugh has a knack for keeping his former college players so johnson gets the third spot what is tolzien the new nate davis of the webzone
Originally posted by BleedRednGold:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Tolzein got NO help tonight from his receivers... I still like him better. idk.... what a twist.... Dixon will make the roster, and a good chance Johnson will too...

Yeah it would've been better if SD d lineman were out WR's.

Tolzien's natural talent will go much father than Johnson's. Tolzien looking like a comfortable pocket passer as a rookie and hasn't even began to scratch the surface yet.
Anyone else see the fun and irony in all of this? Most of the threads lately are about the third qb or the 5th rb, or even the 5th corner. When did we have it so good? Walsh years?

Who cares who our third is. After Kap showed off tonight, if Alex goes down, we have insurance. If we lose them both, We go ground.

I still dont like JJ. Not completely sold on Lord Tolzien either, but its the 3rd qb. Hell, 5 years ago, without thinking about it, I dont know who was fighting for the 3rd qb spot.

We have our core, and our backups in place. They seem very very talented. Thats why we get to talk about third qbs and #5 rbs. Imagine next year when we cant even debate that.
Tough one, They were IMO neck and neck, neither looked great during the first 3 games, but JJ looked much better tonight. I go with Johnson, Harbaugh will want to have him as insurance. He is a veteran, doesn't cost much more than Tolzien. Harbaugh will lobby hard to Baalke for keeping Johnson. Would not be surprised if we end up keeping all for now. I can see us keeping both with us keeping just 3 OLBs, or 6 DL.
if we cut tolzien..chances are we migh get him back on the practice squad...or he'll be a 3rd string somewhere else....however...if we cut johnson, he'll instantly be better than what ever the hell the cardinals have at qb..and i wouldn't suprised if they brought him in as a backup and eventual starter...also to get some info on our offense. if they could just get ok qb play with their weapons on offense they would be a good team...their oline is trash, so at least johnson might avoid some pressure here and there......but yeah i think we'll keep johnson..but if we want to go into the season with only 2 qbs...then i expect us to trade johnson to an afc team for a 6th or 7th pick..just like we did with shaun hill.
Share 49ersWebzone