There are 49 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Manningham Number

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
John Taylor weeps

I claim to be JTs Biggest Fan, but he was never due to have his jersey retired and for what it's worth Manningham might be the best #82 since Taylor retired.


Eric Johnson was very very good. Manningham could be great for us though.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,306
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
won't make team
do you think he makes it till the final cut? we do need a couple of back up tight ends do we not?

according to AB83 we don't have room

VD and Dwalk and then a few dual utility JUMBO TE

i'm kinda hoping reuland makes the team, problem is he can't really block for s**t

I'm betting Byham gets cut, nothing against him but he is expendable. I think we are going to go with VD/DWalk and a combination of Dobbs and other DL for a blocking TE role. If we keep an actual TE it'll be Reuland IMHO. We have too many talented DL and WR fighting for a roster spot and Byham definitely has less of a upside when compared to players like Dobbs, Tukuafu, Williams or even Palmer on offense(even though I know only way this years camp darling makes the final 53 is if KW gets cut).

edit: just read the MM and Inman pieces on tonights practice and I am only feeling more confident that Byham is on the outs.

Per MM

Notable: Defensive lineman Demarcus Dobbs was issued No. 96 last season, when he made the team as an undrafted free agent. But Dobbs is now wearing No. 40, so he does not have to report every play when he's on the field as a tight end. Dobbs is turning into a legitimate two-way player. On Wednesday, Dobbs caught a 3-yard touchdown pass from Alex Smith.

Dobbs is continuing to impress at TE, definitely putting the heat on Byham and Reuland too lol.
[ Edited by sfout on Aug 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Mario should get #82.

And btw, I'm tired of all these teen #s for our WRs.

Agree. I think Bynam will get cut and he will get his #82
I don't think Byham gets cut. (BTW, its not Bynam. I'm sure thats a typo). So if Manningham is waiting on that then he'll be disappointed. He'll have a better shot at Konrad Reuland (#89). I will say that I am sick and tired of seeing WR's with these teen numbers myself. It's almost blasphemous to football purest I wish the NFL mandate that any player on the 53 roster must have position specific numbers, i.e WRs with numbers in the 80's. Since Keeshon Johnson it seems he restarted a trend. I say restarted because teens number on WR's aren't new. It just wasn't en vogue before one Joseph Keyshawn Johnson perverted my high school #19. And it seems that WR's (not all for sure) got more immature, selfish and flamboyant since Keyshawn. But that's me.
He should wear #81
TE Depth = VD, Walker, Dobbs... apparently used to be a TE in High School?

Reuland to PS and will be elevated if required. Maybe they can find room for Nelson as backup LS but I doubt it.

Byham gets cut IMO so 82 will be free for Manningham.
  • cools
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,339
Unless Byham gets PuP'd or IR'd Mario should get that # in a few weeks

Ted Kwalick was a pretty soild 82, more pro bowls then the other 82's i think, He was playing for the Niners when I became a fan as a kid

Back then we also had a pretty good WR wareing #18, but im not a fan of teen #'s for WR either

I think Reuland makes the 53, though he will mostly be inactive on game days, and Dobbs will get 3rd TE reps in the game
Reuland has some good upside, great work ethic and smarts, I think he's in the Niners future plans, and i doubt they dangle him on waivers this year
[ Edited by cools on Aug 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
won't make team
do you think he makes it till the final cut? we do need a couple of back up tight ends do we not?

according to AB83 we don't have room

All 80's are taken, except 83 now, since John Matthews was cut a month back.

also teens are mostly taken

9- Brian Tyms
10- Kyle Williams
11- Alex Smith
12- Retired
13- Hastings
14- Manningham
15- Crabtree
16- Retired
17- Jenkins
18- Swain
19- Ginn
80- Retired
81- Owusu
82- Byham
83- Open
84- Moss
85- Vernon
86- Jennings
87- Retired
88- Reuland
89- Palmer
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Mario should get #82.

And btw, I'm tired of all these teen #s for our WRs.

Agree. I think Bynam will get cut and he will get his #82
I don't think Byham gets cut. (BTW, its not Bynam. I'm sure thats a typo). So if Manningham is waiting on that then he'll be disappointed. He'll have a better shot at Konrad Reuland (#89). I will say that I am sick and tired of seeing WR's with these teen numbers myself. It's almost blasphemous to football purest I wish the NFL mandate that any player on the 53 roster must have position specific numbers, i.e WRs with numbers in the 80's. Since Keeshon Johnson it seems he restarted a trend. I say restarted because teens number on WR's aren't new. It just wasn't en vogue before one Joseph Keyshawn Johnson perverted my high school #19. And it seems that WR's (not all for sure) got more immature, selfish and flamboyant since Keyshawn. But that's me.

We are keeping Davis and Walker at TE only. Book it.
Originally posted by WINiner:
We are keeping Davis and Walker at TE only. Book it.

Yeah I have a feeling Dobbs is going to make it as our 3rd TE.
Well he can't be 14. Wersching is forever 14.

Besides, can you imagine the hysteria of the people that think all brown guys at the Stick are gang members because they're wearing red would be? A home, Manningham #14 jersey?? Please

I agree 100%. They really should go back to 80-89 for WR's
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Mario should get #82.

And btw, I'm tired of all these teen #s for our WRs.

Agree. I think Bynam will get cut and he will get his #82
I don't think Byham gets cut. (BTW, its not Bynam. I'm sure thats a typo). So if Manningham is waiting on that then he'll be disappointed. He'll have a better shot at Konrad Reuland (#89). I will say that I am sick and tired of seeing WR's with these teen numbers myself. It's almost blasphemous to football purest I wish the NFL mandate that any player on the 53 roster must have position specific numbers, i.e WRs with numbers in the 80's. Since Keeshon Johnson it seems he restarted a trend. I say restarted because teens number on WR's aren't new. It just wasn't en vogue before one Joseph Keyshawn Johnson perverted my high school #19. And it seems that WR's (not all for sure) got more immature, selfish and flamboyant since Keyshawn. But that's me.

We are keeping Davis and Walker at TE only. Book it.
I disagree. I think we keep 3 TE's. JH likes TE's. But I can see us keeping only 2 though. I wouldn't be pissed if we we cut Byham.
is Bynam PS eligable?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
is Bynam PS eligable?

Someone posted a short while back that Byham is NOT eligible... that he was active for too many games in... 2010? to be eligible for the ps.

I agree with those thinking Byham will be cut... Reuland to the ps... and only VD, Walker, and Dobbs as the TEs on the 53.