Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

POLL : Is Michael Crabtree a bust?

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by bigmur49:
Much like Alex Smith, I don't think he is a bust, but as each season has gone on I reduce my expectations so it is easier to hit the minimums.

When Smith was picked I knew nothing of him, but expected our 4th great QB in a row (I was naive enough to think of Garcia as great for a short time period). As each season went on, I lowered the expectations, and now I hope he is a solid top 10-12 type QB, who will protect the ball, do enough to win under the game plan, and then when needed he can be pretty clutch. He is not ever going to be throwing for 450 yard games and win passing titles. This doesn't mean he can't win a ring or two anyways.

For Crabtree, I knew nothing of him, but my buddies who are big college football guys told me they thought Crabtree was one of the better NCAA receivers they had ever seen. Amazing hands, very smart, fast, definitely going to be a Superstar for many years. Like Smith, I have lowered my expectations to where I think he can be a very good possession receiver, maybe an Anquan Boldin type, who is extremely important to the team and integral to the offensive production, but realistically is not a true #1 Jerry Rice/Megatron type of guy who takes over games and dominates.

So there you have a very long, confusing, and most likely not read by anyone description of why I do not think he is a bust!!

Actually, I think you hit the nail on the head on both counts.

Agreed. Good post.

How many times did Montana throw for 450 yards?
I dont really think thats the point. And there is no doubt in my mind that Montana would be slinging the rock in today's NFL. Could you imagine if CBs had to play off Rice like they do in today's NFL? It's a completly different era.

Dan Marino would probably thrown for 6 thousand yards.

I think Bigs main point is that it is unlikely Smith will ever become the Brees or Rogers type of QB. As proven the last 7 years, he's not talented enough to be a one man show. He's only as good as the guys around him (line or wrs).
Much like Alex Smith, I don't think he is a bust, but as each season has gone on I reduce my expectations so it is easier to hit the minimums.

When Smith was picked I knew nothing of him, but expected our 4th great QB in a row (I was naive enough to think of Garcia as great for a short time period). As each season went on, I lowered the expectations, and now I hope he is a solid top 10-12 type QB, who will protect the ball, do enough to win under the game plan, and then when needed he can be pretty clutch. He is not ever going to be throwing for 450 yard games and win passing titles. This doesn't mean he can't win a ring or two anyways.

For Crabtree, I knew nothing of him, but my buddies who are big college football guys told me they thought Crabtree was one of the better NCAA receivers they had ever seen. Amazing hands, very smart, fast, definitely going to be a Superstar for many years. Like Smith, I have lowered my expectations to where I think he can be a very good possession receiver, maybe an Anquan Boldin type, who is extremely important to the team and integral to the offensive production, but realistically is not a true #1 Jerry Rice/Megatron type of guy who takes over games and dominates.

So there you have a very long, confusing, and most likely not read by anyone description of why I do not think he is a bust!!

Agreed. Good post.

I dont really think thats the point. And there is no doubt in my mind that Montana would be slinging the rock in today's NFL. Could you imagine if CBs had to play off Rice like they do in today's NFL? It's a completly different era.

I think Bigs main point is that it is unlikely Smith will ever become the Brees or Rogers type of QB. As proven the last 7 years, he's not talented enough to be a one man show. He's only as good as the guys around him (line or wrs).

you're right, it's not the point.
i got his jersey.
A big fat juicy YES! And I don't think I need to stats, bar graphs, or numbers to back that up either. As we speak he's in is normal routine. The guy has been nothing but a major disappointment - a disappointment full of excuses - since he put on the Red-&-Gold. He has not lived up to his top 10 billing. At best he's put up the numbers of a #2 or #3 WR. I've seen later rounders perform better than him. He's shown flashes. And we had to wait 3 seasons for him to have his best "flashes", only to be left at the alter in the playoffs. Inconsistent hands. Horrible rout running. Questionable commitment. Injury prone during camps. I give up.Can someone tell me why he's still a 49er but for the fact he was a top 10 selection? But alas, if Crabs play true-to-form this season we won't have to suffer him long. JH does not strike as a coach who'll put diapers on his players.
He is not a bust but will never be more then a avg #2 WR.
he's a second rounder at best

bust....ed?
NO, not a bust.

First, I'm NOT a fan of Crabs. BUT he is definitely not a bust. He definitely hasn't met expectations and he seems to be injured every TCamp.

I feel, this will be a make or break season for him. Honestly, I hope he lights it up this year and reaches his potential.
I wouldn't say bust...disappointment for sure, but he is still a starter and a good roster player. To be a bust I think you have to be at least struggling for playing time.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Considering the expectations and where he was drafted, he's absolutely a bust. He was highly touted as a game-changer and once-a-decade type talent at WR.
He's far from that.

• He has missed every training camp thus far in his career.
  • He's a marginal number 2 receiver.
  • He, in no way, makes his QB better.
  • He never makes game-changing plays.
  • Pretty sure his best statistical games are against very poor teams.

The worst part of Crab's are the last two bullets. When you don't really need him to (or it's not a crucial part of the game) he'll make a decent play or two.

But when it's a big time game or a big moment in a game he absolutely DISAPPEARS.

I had very high hopes for him and those expectations were readjusted after last season. I felt that adding Moss would light a fire and make him better by taking coverage away from him, but with another injury and a crowded WR corps. his time in SF could be limited.Which I think he wouldn't mind, because he's never shown a passion for the game or for being a 49er.

Hard to make big plays last year. THE OFFENSE WAS NOT SET UP FOR WRs TO MAKE BIG PLAYS. How can you miss that? Also, Smith missed him on several big plays. In the playoffs he did disappoint, but you forget THERE WERE ONLY TWO HEALTHY WRs. AND KYLE WILLIAMS (FOURTH WR ON MOST TEAMS) WAS THE OTHER ONE.

To say he is a marginal second WR is BS. Check out his stats in 14 games. Keep in mind the type of offense and philisophy we had if you can.

The thoughts on Crabs from some of you is just ignorant. Look at a stat sheet and then complain. I wonder if some of you even watch the games.
If you want honest perspective on 49ers players just ask fans of other teams (so long as they're not biased like Raiders fans etc.). Go ahead and do that and get back to me with what they think about Crabtree.
If healthy, I can really see Moss, Crabtree and Manningham complementing each other. Moss has to be doubled, which leaves the other guys one on one, and Smith should not see as many blitzes on passing downs. The key will be some timing plays to the WRs as soon as the blitz occurs. That has been lacking over the years and was lacking last year, due to shortened camp.

This year may see the offense dissecting D's with ease...hope so!

Agreed. Good post.

you're right, it's not the point.

Yup...cuz Brees has s**t for receivers and a horrible line. I am not suggesting that Alex is as good as Drew. What I would suggest is that we have no idea how good he is. A lot of people thought Alex was not even NFL material. Without an offseason he ranked 10 QBs last season. Let's see what happens this season.
Michael Crabtree is the best WR on this team. He's a 1200 yard 8 TD player on a good passing offense. His numbers last year were pretty good for the offense we ran and the QB we had.
Yup...cuz Brees has s**t for receivers and a horrible line. I am not suggesting that Alex is as good as Drew. What I would suggest is that we have no idea how good he is. A lot of people thought Alex was not even NFL material. Without an offseason he ranked 10 QBs last season. Let's see what happens this season.

I'm cautiously optomistic that he can become a top tier QB if he remains in this system with Harbaugh. The question for me is, can he hold off a guy like Kaep for the next couple of years?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Plays like a mid-2nd or 3rd rounder.

YEAH I SAID IT.

This, and he seems to be allergic to training camp!

Any player who makes the team and contributes, is not an absolute bust, but a player taken that high, who just contributes...well I'l say disappointment.
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Aug 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM ]