There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

State of Willis: Star LB confident in covering TEs

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2012/07/28/state-of-willis-star-lb-confident-in-covering-tes-eager-to-learn-more-and-more-and-more/

Willis spoke with the media Saturday and sounds as driven as ever to raise his game. Last season, he was at an All-Pro level yet again, but he took on the added duties of covering tight ends and fared pretty well. Yes, he gave up a coupletight ends touchdowns to the Saints' Jimmy Graham in the playoffs, but he had tight coverage — and the 49ers won. This season, Willis is willing (no pun intended) to cover tight ends again, and this season's slate two of the league's best in Graham (Nov. 25) and New England's Rob Gronkowski (Dec. 16). Willis said he isn't paying attention to the overall picture but rather what might await him in Week 1: Green Bay's Jermichael Finley, who's sitting out the start of camp with a concussion (as reported by Finley's wife). "I know he's a good tight end," Willis said of Finley. "But we've got two of the best tight ends in the league. So every day for me, I don't get caught up in what teams we'll face, other than watching them and reading routes. "I feel if I can cover our guys – or cover them pretty well – then there shouldn't be a tight end in the league that I shouldn't be able to cover. So I just work on covering those guys when I have the opportunity." Vernon Davis and Delanie Walker represent Willis' sparing partners in practice.

Dont get me wrong, shutting down a premier TE is worth its wieght in gold in todays NFL, but also feel we are neutralizing some of his biggest assets such as hitting, stripping the ball and instincts. I also think he's underrated as a passrusher. The year before last he had 6 sacks and seemed to deliver every time his number was called.
http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/07/28/patrick-willis-is-entering-a-new-phase/

"The best players as they get older, they might not be as fast, but they have the most knowledge. I'm starting to understand more now. Maybe I'm not as fast or not as quick or whatever it might be. As still feel as good as I once did, but one thing I take pride in is my knowledge." That's why everyone saw Willis at the end of Friday's first day of practice huddling with DL coach Jim Tomsula to talk about pass rush. That's why Willis is pestering offensive coaches and players in order to understand their mind set. "I'm always trying to pick their brain," Willis said of the offensive players and coaches. Willis wants to know what the call was on offense and how the offensive players adjust. "They have what they do and why they do it. Those guys are pretty advanced." Willis doesn't believe his physical skills are diminishing rapidly. He says he still feels quick and he said he still feels good when he wakes up in the morning. But he's increasing his base of knowledge for when his skills begin to seriously ebb.
Lol at Willis acting like he's 35. He's still one of the fastest LBs in the league, if not the fastest

The bottom picture is so sick

Rogers, Bowman, J.Smith, Willis and Ray Mac
Man, look at the guns on Willis and Bowman......They look like a He-Man action figure.
If this were the 50's Patrick would be playing linebacker, end or tackle on defense. When the offense came on the field he would be fullback, tight end or offensive line. Most likely punter also. In other words the man is a football player.
Boing alert!
New Helmet=Superbowl
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

Looking at this picture reminds me of how good we have it right now as Niner fans.... Enjoy fellas
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
New Helmet=Superbowl

we dont have new helmets?
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
New Helmet=Superbowl

we dont have new helmets?

he meant PW has a new model helmet...not that the helmets have a new logo/design
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Dont get me wrong, shutting down a premier TE is worth its wieght in gold in todays NFL, but also feel we are neutralizing some of his biggest assets such as hitting, stripping the ball and instincts. I also think he's underrated as a passrusher. The year before last he had 6 sacks and seemed to deliver every time his number was called.

I see where you are comin from,but I wouldnt say "neutralizing".

we have a liability in Brooks,Haralson,and Aldon in that in some way or the other they dont cover well or if at all(in Aldon's case YET).

On the other hand,we have a serious luxury in that we have two similiar guys inside that mask that defiency.Bowman is now in 52's old role so to speak and 52's role has expanded.im glad it has expanded,cuz of some the te's we face,he handles the coverage pretty well.therefore,we dont have to take our olb's away from what they do best,blitzing.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I see where you are comin from,but I wouldnt say "neutralizing".

we have a liability in Brooks,Haralson,and Aldon in that in some way or the other they dont cover well or if at all(in Aldon's case YET).

On the other hand,we have a serious luxury in that we have two similiar guys inside that mask that defiency.Bowman is now in 52's old role so to speak and 52's role has expanded.im glad it has expanded,cuz of some the te's we face,he handles the coverage pretty well.therefore,we dont have to take our olb's away from what they do best,blitzing.

I don't think olb's cover that much in the 3-4 anyways. That's more 4-3 style