There are 151 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Ed Reed - Dashon Goldson Connection

The Ed Reed - Dashon Goldson Connection

Lolwut?
Ed Reed has made a fortune playing safety, he can stand with anyone at the position. Goldson is more at the the mercy of ownership with his contract. Ed Reed has been there done that, Goldson is still looking for payday #1.
Reed>goldson

ur welcome.
I said this in a thread a few weeks ago...but with both being free agents at the end of the year....I wouldn't be surprised that if the Ravens don't give Reed the big contract he wants (or if Reed retires like some have said).....well that the Ravens then turn and give Goldson a nice contract. With out us using the tag.

Reed has been having injury issues....Goldson is bigger, younger, and can still get better.
he's gonna hold out for a while, which really sucks cuz it's affecting both the team and his future.
Originally posted by elhebrewhammer:
I'd rather he not show up and have the guys behind him get more reps since their isn't a ton of experience at the backup positions.

More or less agree. Wouldn't say RATHER, but I see a nice, silver-lining to Goldson not attending all or any of TC. Would give us some great looks at Spillman, Trent Robinson, McBath, etc. and Goldson can always get back up to speed in preseason action. Seems like we are moving on from Goldson after 2012, unless he has another good season. This is a good time to let Donatell see if a less costly replacement is already on the roster.

As to the all-important comparison between Goldson and Reed? Meh... both good safeties with size and aggression. Both play for a Harbaugh, and play behind an excellent front 7. Both have pretty good ball skills. I dunno... what's the point in comparing, really.
Wow, could Dashon be anymore under valued on this site? Is he Ed Reed? No, but he IS an elite safety. I dont care what any of you elitist wanna be gm's have to say. Do you not remember how bad Lewis, and Reggie Smith were? Dashon will get paid when it works out better for the organization. They franchised him for reason. All of you posters complaining about Dashon not being worth the franchise money are delusional.

He played outstanding last season and very descent the year before. He's just now developing into a star player and you want to show him the door for trying to get paid. The guy has come a long way over the years and its not all system and front seven. I swear some of you read too much into the reasoning behind the niners not offering him a long term deal. Its not becasue he's not a good player.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Wow, could Dashon be anymore under valued on this site? Is he Ed Reed? No, but he IS an elite safety. I dont care what any of you elitist wanna be gm's have to say. Do you not remember how bad Lewis, and Reggie Smith were? Dashon will get paid when it works out better for the organization. They franchised him for reason. All of you posters complaining about Dashon not being worth the franchise money are delusional.

He played outstanding last season and very descent the year before. He's just now developing into a star player and you want to show him the door for trying to get paid. The guy has come a long way over the years and its not all system and front seven. I swear some of you read too much into the reasoning behind the niners not offering him a long term deal. Its not becasue he's not a good player.

I could not agree more.he will get paid and he will be a niner
Ed Reed has proven his worth a thousand times over. Goldson can be at times a great FS but he simply is not on the same level as Reed. I'm scared that Goldson is going to turn into a Merriweather the minute he gets paid, you know, just looking for big hits and willing to give up big plays for a shot at a pick. IMO he is stupid enough and is getting enough bad advice that he is going to pull a Franklin. I say he is stupid because he already had an extension offered and didn't take it because he wanted more money, that failed miserably for him and it looks like he may do something like that again.
Originally posted by NinerG94:

How is he undervalued? 31 other teams had a chance to sign him before last season and 31 other teams passed. His big shot at FA landed him a 1 year deal. Now he is looking at making more money in 1 year under the franchise tag than he has in his career and yet he is still playing games with the niners front office. He is also imo NOT an elite safety. He is a high risk, high reward safety (somewhere between Merriweather and Reed). I feel that front offices around the league may be worried that he will not play as well after recieving a big contract too ala Haynesworth (who was elite and now is poop)
Silly comparisons.

They both have 2 feet and 2 arms - so what!

Goldson couldn't carry Reed's shoes. Goldson is good BUT not in Ed's class. Reed can be seriously considered one of the BEST to ever play that position.

Goldson will be in camp - "when" is the question. He will have a very good season - he needs to to get a big payday w/another team.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Nothing in comparison to Ed Reed. Reed is a multi pro bowler, where Goldson has had 1 great season, and a few decent seasons. I honestly don't see how anyone can be dumb to want 8M when offered 7M, when you aint worth 6M tender you are gonna sign, whenever that is. I kinda hope he is gone after 2012, he isn't worth the money.

What?

Goldson has had ONE good season, one crappy season and one mediocre season. He didn't start the other two seasons.
Not trying to debate Goldson's value, I think we all know the team is better with him but he has tons of room for improvement. And I think we all know Ed Reed is a future hall of famer whereas Goldson is just starting to play at an elite level. Nobody even hinted that Goldson was as good as Ed Reed, that would be ludicrous. I'm thinking that Dashon Goldson will want to follow in the great Ed Reed's footsteps and get his a$$ into camp on time, that's all. Their respective losses in the championship games probably left a bad taste in their mouths. One hour till reckoning and I still believe he will be there.
Originally posted by WesCosOff4Lyf:
Not trying to debate Goldson's value, I think we all know the team is better with him but he has tons of room for improvement. And I think we all know Ed Reed is a future hall of famer whereas Goldson is just starting to play at an elite level. Nobody even hinted that Goldson was as good as Ed Reed, that would be ludicrous. I'm thinking that Dashon Goldson will want to follow in the great Ed Reed's footsteps and get his a$$ into camp on time, that's all. Their respective losses in the championship games probably left a bad taste in their mouths. One hour till reckoning and I still believe he will be there.

he signed his tender, he will be in camp