There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How Unpredictable Do You think Our Offense Will Be to Defenses In 2012?

Last year we saw wrinkles in the running game that caught defenses off balance. The offense did not have enough time or the weapons to be a force last season in the passing game. Randy Moss will be the best wide out we've seen since Jerry Rice, and I put him ahead of TO. With Moss and Vernon going deep it sets up for a Victor Cruz type to emerge. Manningham will get his, he has knack of being invisible and then boom a big play when you least expect it. I'm still gun shy of Kyle Williams but he could be the possession receiver. Crabtree had a chance in the Championship game to prove everybody wrong, but he didn't. One last and final note on the Championship game, the Giants were giving really cheap shots to the heads of 49er receivers all game long.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Last year we saw wrinkles in the running game that caught defenses off balance. The offense did not have enough time or the weapons to be a force last season in the passing game. Randy Moss will be the best wide out we've seen since Jerry Rice, and I put him ahead of TO. With Moss and Vernon going deep it sets up for a Victor Cruz type to emerge. Manningham will get his, he has knack of being invisible and then boom a big play when you least expect it. I'm still gun shy of Kyle Williams but he could be the possession receiver. Crabtree had a chance in the Championship game to prove everybody wrong, but he didn't. One last and final note on the Championship game, the Giants were giving really cheap shots to the heads of 49er receivers all game long.

I wouldn't count Crabs out just yet. No reason to think he can't hold it down underneath while Moss and VD attract attention downfield.
Alex Smith is finally going to have a cohesive Offensive Line, a second year of an offense for the team, an off season of fine tuning, something other than a toilet of an Oline, a shoulder that feels good two years in a row for the first time after being obliterated due to injury from no Oline, and a crew of hot receivers for the FIRST TIME EVER IN HIS CAREER.

A set of forward looking plays involving huge people at tight end and running back.

And a wear you out running game.

You bet this offense is going to be a little unpredictable.
Given the amount of offensive weaponry we amassed during the off-season coupled with Alex working on his mechanics while upgrading our ROG and increasing the entire speed of the O, we have the necessary arsenal to use 3 and 4-WR sets especially 4 because there is not much film of us running that kind of O. We have a means to attack, now, from anywhere. Alex will run from the shotgun more. LMJ will be able to finish runs more effectively to the house than the others especially with screens and wildcat formations. The biggest addition is Moss who will blow the top of the D who will have no choice to move the safety out of the box and get back opening up the running game inside.

IMO, we will attack as quickly as possible over the top of Ds score after score and then run the clock with that trio of RBs especially in the fourth. Really believe the O will explode this year.

Oddly enough and maybe some of said this already, but this season looks like how Harbaugh's Stanford teams went from run-heavy with Toby Gerhart to more pass oriented with TEs the year after.

Moss--Crabtree--Manningham--Williams--Jenkins/Ginn...a 5-WR maybe?

fun times ahead!!!
Originally posted by Gore_21:
You think he will have the athleticism to pull and get down field? That's the main thing. Snyder and others in the past weren't quick enough and just clogged up the line and made a mess. Honestly though... with our RBs I am actually less worried about run blocking than pass blocking. Been a while since the right side hasn't given up 15-20 sacks between the two guys.

P.S. Remember he has done a complete 180 from college as far as his body goes. He's in the best shape of his life. His playing style might be different than in college. Either way I think it's a win win because I believe he will be better than Snyder.

I really always thought Boone had the skills to be a good guard. Definitely think he's got all the tools to be a solid starter at least
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Frank Gore has some of the best vision I've ever seen. Remarkable ability to find holes in the D. But his speed is below average and quite frankly he is slow! His lack of speed held him from at least a few touchdowns last year. He probably won't crack 1,000 yards this year because you'll see a lot of Hunter and James for the above reasons.

But I still love the inconvenient truth!

He was still 3rd in the entire NFL in runs over 20 yards. He's definitely not one of the fastest running backs in the NFL but thats not what Frank Gore is. He's a guy with a blend of good speed, good power, excellent vision and great feet
IMO it depends on one key player that controls the outcome of every play and its no not phil jennings.
direct snaps to James, fo sho.
Originally posted by DirtyP:
He was still 3rd in the entire NFL in runs over 20 yards. He's definitely not one of the fastest running backs in the NFL but thats not what Frank Gore is. He's a guy with a blend of good speed, good power, excellent vision and great feet

Amen. Frank takes too much abuse for not having 4.3 speed. Frank is what he is... a back with great vision and enough shake-n-bake power to break a tackle or two and pick up the 5 or 35 yarders.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by DirtyP:

Amen. Frank takes too much abuse for not having 4.3 speed. Frank is what he is... a back with great vision and enough shake-n-bake power to break a tackle or two and pick up the 5 or 35 yarders.
Frank can STILL make plays ...when he cant make plays anymore, even frank will know it's time to retire ..but not this year ...Frank is still hungry and wants that ring
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Frank can STILL make plays ...when he cant make plays anymore, even frank will know it's time to retire ..but not this year ...Frank is still hungry and wants that ring

Agree with the first statement but not sure about knowing when to step away. He is a very competitive guy who may have career goals in mind. I'm a Gore fan but believe he may be running down as backs tend to do. We won't know it is happening until after the fact. Smart of Harbaugh to build up the RB corps just in case. Agree also about his being hungry! One thing that will help, but they should have been doing this all along, is giving him more rest throughout the season so he's fresh at the end. Of course, last year being the first in his career to reach the playoffs maybe that hasn't been as important!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
this offense *is* very predictable

*WAS*

The operative word there is WAS!

Nope, so far i haven't seen $hit

I guess you're right. What I was saying is this year's offense wont be predictable, where the last several seasons have been brutally predictable. After all, my roommate who doesn't care at all about sports, would say ... hmm 2nd and 10, Gore up the middle!? At this point, I didn't know if I was pissed off more or embarrased as I was trying to find a way to spin it in a positive direction. All he would say is that the Niners were awful. But last year he was like, DAMN, I thought Alex Smith sucked, what happened?!

Thank God we don't have to be that team anymore. It was painful.

Last year wass pretty much of the same as years before.. we were lucky enough to have good field position and a great kicker
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jul 10, 2012 at 8:16 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree with the first statement but not sure about knowing when to step away. He is a very competitive guy who may have career goals in mind. I'm a Gore fan but believe he may be running down as backs tend to do. We won't know it is happening until after the fact. Smart of Harbaugh to build up the RB corps just in case. Agree also about his being hungry! One thing that will help, but they should have been doing this all along, is giving him more rest throughout the season so he's fresh at the end. Of course, last year being the first in his career to reach the playoffs maybe that hasn't been as important!

I think Jim probably extended his career by a few years by building up the RB corp. Sure he isnt what he was 4-5 years ago, but if you keep his carries down to a normal human level he is going to be one of the more effective backs in the game. I predict as our " move the chains" back he will still be well with in the top ten in most, but not all catagories, with Jacobs taking some of the goal line punishment and Hunter/James as home run threats his TD's could see a hit.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I think Jim probably extended his career by a few years by building up the RB corp. Sure he isnt what he was 4-5 years ago, but if you keep his carries down to a normal human level he is going to be one of the more effective backs in the game. I predict as our " move the chains" back he will still be well with in the top ten in most, but not all catagories, with Jacobs taking some of the goal line punishment and Hunter/James as home run threats his TD's could see a hit.

He is the type of back who likes to get in the groove so the key to rest will be large leads early in the second half. Then he can sit and enjoy a breather--though he won't see it that way! He'll be chomping at the bit to get back in for every down...unless he has learned to be a bit less maniacal!
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Maybe I'm just a homer and giving Harbaugh too much credit... but with the peices added over this offseason, this could be the start of an innovative offense that tries to employ principles from both a power run scheme and a spread offense. One play we can line up with 2-3 TE's and try to run it down the opponents throat, and the next play we spread out 4 wide with LMJ in the back field and air it out. Allowing the game plans to attack wherever a team is weak or injured.

Agreed. Furthermore, because we have so much talent we will be able to activate/deactivate players on a game-by-game basis depending on who we are playing. JH &Co. is building this team to be able do whatever they want to do, whenever they want to do it, to a defense without them being able to do much about it. 2-3 TE's, 3-5 wide, under center or in the gun, we are going to be able to do so much that predicting our offense based on formation is gonna be impossible.

Hard not be excited after last year, when we saw a things the NFL had never seen, with a new coach without an offseason....

Have you ever had that girl, that isn't really perused or noticed by a lot of guys, but there's just something about her that you just find F'in stunning? And it's kind of cool 'cus you feel like you're the only one with the power to view it?....

Anyway… That's kind of how I feel about the Niners right now….

- What do I hear over and over and over and over in the NFL media? "QB driven league"

- The only constant is change, and the NFL is no exception. I absolutely love it when analysts give the 'ol, well they're good but they don't have an elite QB.

- Yep. Keep chasing an ageing "norm": Seattle, Arizona. You put all your stock into that "pop"-culture ideal, and what happens, you turn your back on the rest of the team, treading water to keep up with the rest of the NFL.

- Within' a year, we've gone from the "Dark Ages" with Sing and Nolan, being the team chasing the most out of date mold, to the NFL's innovator.

- That's what I love about Harb, he's not trying to build success through models, he's an INVENTOR!

- Buckle up boys, it's gonna be a fun year!