There are 241 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How Unpredictable Do You think Our Offense Will Be to Defenses In 2012?

Frank Gore, while on the downside of his career, is still one of the top 3 backs in the league and therefore will be quite effective. We will still employ our power identity, as our OL personnel are largely maulers (especially the G's) suited for a power game. But it should clear by now that we will utilize 4 and 5 wide sets more often - not so much a "spread" offense, but more wide open looks both under center and in the gun. I think this will put all kinds of pressure on defenses and DC's. I think by mid-season this offense will be so unpredictable that defensive co-coordinators on our schedule are going to have long nights before they play us.

Thoughts?
i remember last year when i said Gore is now heading downwards i was flamed for it only to see him break a run and get tackled 10 yards later that same year. now everyones on my hype
For the first time in a long time that I think we have the potential to make defenses pay for thinking that we are going to open up the game by running the ball. Or that we give the ball to Gore to spark the offense. It seems like the offense has the potential to be the quick strike capability this year. Spread offense is an overused, overrated term. We will be an unpredictable offense. Capable of attacking anywhere on the field. That's where I see the offense headed, and hopefully fully realized at the end of the year.
Maybe I'm just a homer and giving Harbaugh too much credit... but with the peices added over this offseason, this could be the start of an innovative offense that tries to employ principles from both a power run scheme and a spread offense. One play we can line up with 2-3 TE's and try to run it down the opponents throat, and the next play we spread out 4 wide with LMJ in the back field and air it out. Allowing the game plans to attack wherever a team is weak or injured.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Frank Gore, while on the downside of his career, is still one of the top 3 backs in the league.

Thoughts?

My thought is that you are wrong about this.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Maybe I'm just a homer and giving Harbaugh too much credit... but with the peices added over this offseason, this could be the start of an innovative offense that tries to employ principles from both a power run scheme and a spread offense. One play we can line up with 2-3 TE's and try to run it down the opponents throat, and the next play we spread out 4 wide with LMJ in the back field and air it out. Allowing the game plans to attack wherever a team is weak or injured.

Agreed. Furthermore, because we have so much talent we will be able to activate/deactivate players on a game-by-game basis depending on who we are playing. JH &Co. is building this team to be able do whatever they want to do, whenever they want to do it, to a defense without them being able to do much about it. 2-3 TE's, 3-5 wide, under center or in the gun, we are going to be able to do so much that predicting our offense based on formation is gonna be impossible.
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Frank Gore, while on the downside of his career, is still one of the top 3 backs in the league.

Thoughts?

Which one, he's on the downside of his career or he's still among the top 3 backs in the league?

Thoughts?

Frank wont get as many touches this year , Hunter and James will keep him fresh, plus Jacobs will be our short yardage battering ram

James will also get some snaps at slot WR

and I'm willing to bet we will see some wildcat formation with Gore and Hunter in the backfield , and James in Motion

plus we will see a 5 WR set with Moss, Crabs, Manningham, Davis and Jenkins as our WR's

Plus big heavy sets with Soap and Cowboy as blocking FB's and one of our reserve O-Lineman as a blocking TE ..we will SMASH some fools this year

I bet the Playbook will have some surprises being we added new weapons for the offense

Thoughts?

overall backs he arguably is.

considering running, catching out the backfield, pass blocking .

he is a top 3 in my opinion.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Thoughts?

Frank wont get as many touches this year , Hunter and James will keep him fresh, plus Jacobs will be our short yardage battering ram

James will also get some snaps at slot WR

and I'm willing to bet we will see some wildcat formation with Gore and Hunter in the backfield , and James in Motion

plus we will see a 5 WR set with Moss, Crabs, Manningham, Davis and Jenkins as our WR's

Plus big heavy sets with Soap and Cowboy as blocking FB's and one of our reserve O-Lineman as a blocking TE ..we will SMASH some fools this year

I bet the Playbook will have some surprises being we added new weapons for the offense
Absolutely! Not too sure about the wildcat thing, just too gimmicky for my taste. But given this creative offensive coaching staff I wouldn't put it past them using it from time to time to keep the defense off balanced and guessing. I predict us using heavy-sets a lot, but I think come the last third of the season we will see very diverse "heavy" looks that we will shift into wider sets to catch the D in exposed circumstance and awful mismatches. I do know they wanted to do this last season but the WR deficiencies handcuffed the coaching staff.
I dont think we'll be seeing cowboy on offense this year..
Frank Gore, while on the downside of his career, is still one of the top 3 backs in the league and therefore will be quite effective. We will still employ our power identity, as our OL personnel are largely maulers (especially the G's) suited for a power game. But it should clear by now that we will utilize 4 and 5 wide sets more often - not so much a "spread" offense, but more wide open looks both under center and in the gun. I think this will put all kinds of pressure on defenses and DC's. I think by mid-season this offense will be so unpredictable that defensive co-coordinators on our schedule are going to have long nights before they play us.

Thoughts?

I am thinking and I hope I totally out to lunch on this is, that he is not one of the top three backs in the league. Never was. I'd say he is somewhere between 6 and 10. Now, don't get me wrong I love the dude like a brother, but I don't believe he possess the acceleration and strength required to be a top 3 back. Above average in speed, strength and pass catching abilities, but not such that one could insist, with a straight face, that he is one of the top three.
Saw some clips of James. That dude is quick. Has the ability to protect himself as he gets hit. Bounces around like a rubber ball.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 99problems:

Thoughts?

He couldn't catch s**t last season though, and he's lost his speed. Still a good back, but Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson, MJD, Darren MCFadden, and Matt Forte are better backs at this point.
Originally posted by 99problems:

Thoughts?

I disagree...

RBs that I would rank above Frank:

AP (when healthy and out of trouble)
Ray Rice
MJD

RBs that I would rank equivalent to Frank:
Lynch
McFadden
Foster

Frank has excellent vision, possibly the best the NFL. He is a SOLID pass-catcher, but had 7 drops and his pass catching was not really utilized last year. He's great at running between the tackles, but at his age he lacks the top-end speed to take it to the house.

In my opinion, Frank is a top 10 RB, not a top 3.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home